Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
grutsch

monster editor

Does anybody know, what kind of tool id uses for designing the doom3 monsters? I guess they use a tool made by themselves, but some details would be cool. I guess its all implied in the engine zaldron talked about in his article but a little detail about movements and the like would be cool.
I am interested in designing 3D models of monsters too and would like to know what tools would be useful. What should i get to get started?
so long

id is using the newest version of Maya to build the characters and monsters for "The New Doom".

For now, you'll be able to import meshes created in either Maya or 3DSMAX. The bone system of both packages seem to have been ported too, so you can make the animations in both of them.

Looks like you can even import meshes as world brushes, and even camera scripts.

For skinning, either PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro, combined with a little knowledge on shaders...

Guest Dark_Fox

From what I know and have heard the static models will be cr8ed with 3D Studio Max and the animations will be compiled using maya.
Skinning will be Adobe PhotoShop.. PSP is not up to that kind of work..

Dima said:

id is using the newest version of Maya to build the characters and monsters for "The New Doom".

God, I wish I had Maya. Too bad it has a $7,500 price tag.

If you want Maya for non-profit jobs (like learning the soft) you should warez it.

You think I have MAX 4 and PhotoShop 6, complete with the commercial licenses and everything?!?

MUAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!11111

Guest Blood Donor

do u know any good warez url's?

Zaldron said:

If you want Maya for non-profit jobs (like learning the soft) you should warez it.

Yeah, do that. Paying over $200 for any software is a fucking joke. I'm not gonna pay some $700 just so I can cut+paste and adjust contrast in Photoshop. Or diddle around with potential house designs in AutoCAD 2000. I'll give em $20-$30 out of courtesy, if they ask... maybe... but that's all.

Zaldron said:

You think I have MAX 4 and PhotoShop 6, complete with the commercial licenses and everything?!?

MUAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!11111

Trust me, I've tried to find a Warez version. The problem with the software being that expensive is that few people can get copies to send out as Warez.
My only consolation is that the guys who make Maya have workshops every so often where you pay $70 for 3 weeks of training, after which you become Maya certified. The certification alone can get you a job at certain places. Lucky me, there's one in the area in a month or so.