Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

RTCW and destructable stuff

It's been mentioned in several places that some objects in RTCW can be destroyed if the designer intented them to be destroyed.
Maybe that's exactly the part of the code Gray Matter "borrowed" from the new doom engine.
It definetly connected to scripting and maybe the part Gray Matter uses expands the scripting capabilities of the Q3A engine which allows the above stuff.

I would like to make things other than barrels and demons blow up in DOOM 3.Like running around and seeing a computer and blasting it to tiny bits of glass and like if you punch glass it hurts you.Punching a wall would make you hear the pain sound but you wouldnt lose health.

You mean like Hexen 2?

You can practically destroy the entire first episode of that game :)

Hahahah, yeah, that's the most destructable FPS besides Red Faction. You can even destroy all the beauty of the Egypt-like episode, I know I did it when I got stuck in the 3x3 square of triggers...

heh, i remember that. thats one of my favorite games, but sadly inever beat it. i got it last year right before school ended. i spent almostevery night of alst summer playing it. i made it to the end of the egyption level around july, but then the game got fucked up. i tried uninstallign it, thinking the save game swould save considereing it doesn't erease them. of course it didn't, but when i reinstalled it it ereased them.that sucked. i hvent played it much since becaus i havent had the time. after that hapened, i got the pcgamer that had the classic full games on it, and i installed monkey island and have been playing monkey island games all year, ivebeatne the original at least 7 times, part 2 abotu the saem, part 3 aroudn and part 4 only once. im palyign again though

Guest c-d-w
bigbadgangsta said:

I would like to make things other than barrels and demons blow up in DOOM 3.Like running around and seeing a computer and blasting it to tiny bits of glass and like if you punch glass it hurts you.Punching a wall would make you hear the pain sound but you wouldnt lose health.

There's an extremely old game, Operation Bodycount, based on the wolf3d engine I think. Anyway, using grenades, you could remove walls and destroy all sorts of stuff. Unfortunately I only had the demo, and was unable to ever find the full version : (

It was a very advanced game for it's time. It was made by the same company who made Corridor 7

Zaldron said:

Hahahah, yeah, that's the most destructable FPS besides Red Faction. You can even destroy all the beauty of the Egypt-like episode, I know I did it when I got stuck in the 3x3 square of triggers...

Episode 1 just rules, that's the only episode I ever play. Sometimes I play 5, but only by starting a multiplayer game, so when I die I just pick up where I left off and keep going. Best way to play, you can suicide as much as you want.

Unfortunately they got really lazy in Episode 2 and 4 when it comes to destructability; aside from some potted plants and decorations, those things were solid as rock.

Are you talking about those 9 floorplates on that one bridge near the end, before one of the barred-off Urns? That whole episode just sucked puzzle-wise, nobody in their right mind could figure it out by any way other than accident, and that's damn near impossible too.

c-d-w said:

There's an extremely old game, Operation Bodycount, based on the wolf3d engine I think. Anyway, using grenades, you could remove walls and destroy all sorts of stuff. Unfortunately I only had the demo, and was unable to ever find the full version : (

It was a very advanced game for it's time. It was made by the same company who made Corridor 7

Yeah, Operation Bodycount. Too bad I can't really remember what it looked like.
/brings up old memories... :)

Lüt said:

Episode 1 just rules, that's the only episode I ever play. Sometimes I play 5, but only by starting a multiplayer game, so when I die I just pick up where I left off and keep going. Best way to play, you can suicide as much as you want.

Unfortunately they got really lazy in Episode 2 and 4 when it comes to destructability; aside from some potted plants and decorations, those things were solid as rock.

Are you talking about those 9 floorplates on that one bridge near the end, before one of the barred-off Urns? That whole episode just sucked puzzle-wise, nobody in their right mind could figure it out by any way other than accident, and that's damn near impossible too.

You know what's the problem with the 9 tiles? The solution of that mistery is on the Shrine of Naos, but if you try to solve the puzzle without knowing that, it seems like the script fails and starts making crap. I had to make that one like 200 times before the script worked...what a nightmare.

The Wheels of Time were hard too, but just because we're idiots who can't understand the concept of "false clue" in a FPS.

I swear I destroyed everything that was destroyable in that episode, I was avoiding those puzzles... :)

Disorder said:

Yeah, Operation Bodycount. Too bad I can't really remember what it looked like.
/brings up old memories... :)

It looked green. VERY green.

It was a realistic game, I remember you could die pretty quick in that one, specially when you step over those goddamn booby traps.

Zaldron said:

You know what's the problem with the 9 tiles? The solution of that mistery is on the Shrine of Naos, but if you try to solve the puzzle without knowing that, it seems like the script fails and starts making crap. I had to make that one like 200 times before the script worked...what a nightmare.

The Wheels of Time were hard too, but just because we're idiots who can't understand the concept of "false clue" in a FPS.

I swear I destroyed everything that was destroyable in that episode, I was avoiding those puzzles... :)

False clue?

I don't remember.

That whole episode is a blur. I only played through it properly twice. I remember some scenes but I tried to forget the puzzles. Nightmare is right.