Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominus

CSDoom

Guest Dominus

I've been playing CSDoom for the past 2-3 weeks and I don't think it's as bad as people say. Sure it took a good week to get used to the weirdness of the super shotgun (they wacked it out some how) but other than that it's not horrible. IMO it beats the hell out of playing what I like to call "Jello Style" which is pretty much what you'll get on Doomserv or Zone. "Jello Style" as I call it is in reference to the slow motion games that you'll experience when playing on Doomserv or Zone, a pause here, a pause there. If both players have a good ping, Doomserv or Zone are fantastic, if not, well, it kinda blows. I kinda like the fact that I can run around at 43874389387 miles an hour when I play CSDoom. There's a firing delay, but it's not that hard to get used to. Not to mention, with CSDoom, there's a dedicated server, so no one gets shafted with this unbearable mouse lag that comes as an added bonus to whoever hosts the game (Doomserv) I believe it's the opposite for Zone. I just wish more of the old school/hardcore Doom2 people would give it more of a chance. Oh well, enough ranting for now :)

Well, csdoom is cool with a fast connection or some good "local" server, no question about that. I don't like the way zdoom dup x games run either, so I stay away from doomserv. I know a few good players who prefer doomserv over csdoom tho, cus it dosn't fuck with your trigger timings and comes w/o the numerous csdoom bugs. I just don't like to play with restricted movements myselfe, so I choose the less precise but faster gameplay of csd.

Good connection over the zone with 1.9 exe is something I'd pick over csdoom any day tho, simply cus zdoom was developed with singleplayer and editing in mind, not deathmatch. The game has been screwd up gameplay wise for several small reasons. Different rocket blast damage, two-way wallruns, really odd ssg and weapon damage in general...the list goes on.

I imagine this is stuff only hardcore players would care about or notice at all tho. And thats why its mainly "oldschoolers" who knock csdoom.

The mouselag player 2 gets over 1.9 is a pain. I'd still play indy over lan any time before I'd screw around with zdoom tho. But as it is, gettign good games over the zone is almost impossible (and besides kalidoom screws up the mousesense, it always has to be something...), so csdoom becomes the only really fun "daily basis" option for me at least. I'm pretty picky with servers tho, as I never play oversea with my isdn connection. Packetloss and ping over 250 is not a good mixture, more frustrating than fun so I leave it be and grab the games I can get over a few euro servers.

I don't think there is a common csdoom hate among "oldschoolers" tho, it is after all the main thing keeping doom deathmach alive atm. Its just that any "oldschooler" who have spent enough time with 1.9 exe will be annoyed by the oddities zdoom added to the gameplay (why mess with something thats not broken anyway?).

Bottom line is; nothing comes close to 1.9 over LAN, but csd over good conditions is a damn fine substitute in my book.

Yeh csdoom and zdaemon are ok by me, and I have played deathmatch since almost day1, I DO prefer Doomserv, more because of the chat/fun aspect of it, and a high ping dup3 game via zdoom on there CAN be(IS) dire :) But from what I hear fom others who get sub 25 pings to each other it's pretty damn smooth and has the bonus of no fire delay.
What is pissing me off at the moment are the # of players who must be new to deathmatch, that, just because you win,say you are cheating :(
Case in point, some guy called, I think, Buzz who played last night, started moaning "You are TURBO!" (I am NOT, and suspect there is no way of cheating and using turbo without it informing other players), next moan "You are cheating! You fired the BFG at a wall but it killed 2 of us!" I informed him of the secondary blast effect of BFG to be told "Don't try to tell me about Doom I was playing Doom before you were even thought of!"
As I am 50 year old in June this made me smile :)
The point I am trying to make is this, if you are new to deathmatch and are reading this JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEATEN ALL YOUR FRIENDS AT SCHOOL OR IN THE OFFICE EVERY TIME, AND SOMEONE ON THE NET BEATS YOU, THEY ARE NOT CHEATING (WELL, UNLESS THEY ARE CALLED TOKE I MEAN) THERE IS A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE OF SKILL ON THE INTERNET, LIVE WITH IT, LEARN FROM IT, RAISE YOUR GAME, LEAVE, DO ONE OR ALL OF THESE, JUST STOP ACCUSING EVERYONE WHO BEATS YOU OF CHEATING

Ralphis said:

doomserv sucks

No Ralphis' ability to install a simple vb front end sucks, you know shit so instead of blaming your stupidity on the prog, try to think "oh, lots of people are using it, so it's me that's stupid, what am I doing wrong?"
Windows sucks for many reasons, but you wouldn't see people posting "windows sucks" just because they are too stupid to know how to install it, they have OTHER valid reasons

Oh Fod im sorry if i insulted your favorite program, but the fact of the matter remains. It has NOTHING to do with installing it. Ive tried alot of different things. Example: Soviet sent me his ENTIRE doomserv folder which is installed right for him, yet it still DOES NOT WORK. Its a piece of shit. If he was smart he would re-release 3.5 with different servers.

Ralphis, copying the folder from someone else is silly, the install prog makes registry entries, how you gonna do that?

I'm kinda surprised no-one's mentioned the one zdoom bug I find a complete killer, which is the lack of a respawn effect. I've got a sub-40 ping to Slagdoom so we play quite a bit...but unfortunately he can't use the Zone so we have to play zdoom if we want to record a game, and the respawn problem is by far the most annoying of zdoom's bugs to me, since it makes controlling respawns really annoyingly difficult...

fodders said:

Ralphis, copying the folder from someone else is silly, the install prog makes registry entries, how you gonna do that?

Well before i just formatted c:\, it deleted my windows media player and a bunch of other stuff. /me is unsure if he should reinstall

Ralphis said:

Not think Fod. DID

Let me be the 1st to inform you that you did NOT format c:\
Perhaps you formatted c: ?

Formatting is an illusion...
You can't do it.
The command does nothing.
It's all a state of mind.
all a state of mind...

state of mind...

AH! FUCK! Now look. I pissed myself, excuse me a second.

ralphis said:

You have to go into dos

Do you heck have to go into DOS, right click on any drive and option is there to format

Yeh that would be silly unless you had 2 drives and made other drive sys by typing sys D: 1st :)

I've done deltree windows from within windows before. it's...not pretty.