Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0yrmj4kzl99inc/doomrat.zip?dl=0
Anyone have seen this before? It's a megawad that was posted at a certain now dead site as a modified version of Doom 2 (i.e. modified doom2.wad for new sprites and textures, patched .exe, 4 PWADs for new maps, sounds and music and some other unnecessary files). I made it into the normal WAD/DEH combination.
I have also played through the entirety of it (several months ago) and can say that it is rather bizarre and obviosly not created by someone who knew many other WADs: most maps are large, mazey and somewhat bland and the selection of music helps making them depressing. Also most weapons and some monsters are beefed up so that the shotgun is now rapid-fire and mancubus and imp are made as tough as the cyberdemon! Also the texts have quite a few bad language in them now.
And, to conclude, the description of this wouldn't be complete without a mention of MAP12 mostly looking like one big grid pattern (thankfully, other maps are better) and the cyberdemon's death sound replacement being almost 15 seconds long!

Dgemie said:

I made it into the normal WAD/DEH combination.

In addition to providing the DEHACKED as a separate file, you could have also put the DEHACKED inside the wad and name it "DEHACKED", then source ports would automatically apply it without having to load the DEHACKED file externally via -deh parameter.

scifista42 said:

In addition to providing the DEHACKED as a separate file, you could have also put the DEHACKED inside the wad and name it "DEHACKED", then source ports would automatically apply it without having to load the DEHACKED file externally via -deh parameter.

Well, it wasn't made for source ports in the first place...
Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the entirety of your post.
Edit 2: File changed now.

I tried this out last night, and, uh, this certainly is a WAD. Like, I never thought I'd see a WAD where the normal shotgun is more useful than the SSG, but turning the shotgun into an automatic rifle kind of does just that (hence the absurd upper limit for shells). Not to mention, I'm not entirely sure what possessed somebody to turn Cacodemons into floating decapitated wolf heads, especially since most of the other sprite replacements are just rips from Wolfenstein, Heretic or Hexen.

Weird stuff.