Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Perfect music for a given map?

I'm interested to hear people's examples of where they thought the choice of music for the map perfectly aligned with the style / atmosphere of that map (I'm thinking specifically pwads and custom midis)

Eg. I loved the music on map01 of Alien Vendetta on the original release - I thought it was great opening music - they moved that track to map24 in the later release and I always idmus to get it back on to map01, it just goes with it for me.

Map01 of Dark Covenant sticks in the mind too, which I think is a cover of something I forget. Just works with the map.

Anyway, hit me with any of your examples.

i love the Sisters of Mercy MIDIs in the gothic portion of Scythe 2, ignoring your typical thematic congruence in favour of being linked by genre :D clever, plus I love the band anyway. ALT.WAD makes better use of Blood's music than Blood ever did, particularly the Map 5 train station. BTSX's depopulated train stations also have the perfect accompaniment!

I know you're focusing mainly on pwads, but I have to give Barrels O Fun an honorable mention - Hearing such a frantic midi/new music so late in the game and being greeted with tons of barrels and that mancubus - That's one of the moments I remember being genuinely terrified of as a kid. Very fitting music.

Also Dwango5map01 and Dwango6map01, the music from Descent. I feel both of those tunes are very conducive to fast paced yet concentrated fragging. They're not overly verbose, but still have a quick tempo that keeps your blood racing. Very fitting indeed.

Seconding SoD map31 on top.
BtSX e1map01, the intermission maps in both eps, e1map24, e2map03... I like many more actually.
PL2 map17! If only it was longer, because the map's long as heck.
Aeternum map02, that Underworld II is godly.
Ralph's remixes in dbimpact m2 and m8, he really should've done the entire soundtrack.
The western town map in Pirate Doom with the Outlaws track, heh.

Oh yeah... How 'damn' i could forget it... Of course from wad Newgothic Movement1 MAP11. THIS 48 minutes midi is so epic. And this probably longest midi.
In general whole wad includes epic music except map16.

Plutonia MAP09 was one of the better uses of Deep into the Code for me. The map was wholely action-packed and the music fit very well for that map.

50shades MAP10, Sunlust MAP03 (yay Secret of Evermore music), Hellfire Dreams MAP09, and pretty much any map that uses Backroad Wanderer.

Almost every Alien Vendetta level had perfect music, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a fanboy :P

dew said:

BtSX e1map01

I have to disagree, but it's a matter of taste I guess, the music was too busy for me, especially when you take into consideration that it's the opening map where the player has to adjust to the new textures and palette which are very detailed as well. (both the music and map are well composed though)

If I was to talk iwads, music there often IS what shapes the atmosphere, and for this reason a lot of it fits like a glove. Shit, nearly every map of episode 1 is an example of it. And many from episode 2 and 3 too. Deimos Lab, Halls of the Damned, Slough of Despair, Limbo.

To be honest, I barely remember what music was used where in Doom 2 past each track's initial appearance. I think map05 might be one of my favorites in this regard.

Seeing as how I've not played very many pwads and the ones that I have I've played like once at max, I can't remember much. I'm gonna be biased and pick apart a pwad that I CAN remember, which is D2INO. The heretic track fit map09 pretty well I thought, as did the Blood track that Eris used for the catacombs.

Many btsx ep2 tracks fit the maps rather well, too, if you actually embrace the mood that they create. Dirty water, Nation gone dry, Eureka signs and of course the hub maps are good examples.

Once again though, the pool of maps I could pick from is incredibly limited so take my opinion with an even bigger grain of salt than usual.

jazzmaster9 said:

Map 1: Staging Area from Doom 64.

Let's not forget Even Simpler, The Bleeding, Terror Core, Altar of Pain, Dark Citidel and Eye of the Storm go great with their respective levels as well.

Personally, I feel pretty much every Back to Saturn X midi really fits the mood and feel of the map they are on.

I find that rather than there being a "perfect" or even "fitting" midi for a map, the music influences how the map feels. just like the texture usage or palette or whatever else, music contributes to the atmosphere and how players play it.

I often find myself enjoying certain maps purely because of the music, or sometimes the opposite.

jmickle66666666 said:

I find that rather than there being a "perfect" or even "fitting" midi for a map, the music influences how the map feels. just like the texture usage or palette or whatever else, music contributes to the atmosphere and how players play it.

I often find myself enjoying certain maps purely because of the music, or sometimes the opposite.

Yep, I think that's a bit what I meant in the first place. Where that effect works well, rather than clashing with the map, or not adding to it.

Lots of good suggestions for me to check out here, or re-check in some cases.

Valiant's MAP19, "The Popes of Roam". Brilliant tune in itself, and perfectly fits the frantic, vicious map. (gameplay+song, song) (It's the same as Jenesis MAP24 already mentioned above, btw)

Community Chest 2's MAP24, "The Mucus Flow", with a custom tune by B.P.R.D. The bizarre, exotic, somber and oddly beautiful music excellently fits the off-the-wall mapping style and occasional bits of humor. (gameplay+song, song)

BTSX E2M24, "Perhaps Now The Vultures", has a wistful and somewhat creepy song which fits the abandoned-looking corridors and everpresent arch-vile danger. (gameplay+song, song)

Memento Mori's MAP30, "Viper", has a quite brilliant tune which very well fits the "grand finale" level. (Too bad the song gets used in the wad once before, which decreases its impact a little.) (gameplay+song, song)

j4rio said:

Every single map of killing adventure.

Map13 in particular.

Pretty much all of UAC Ultra

Now that I have finished btsx ep2, I have to say that the last level (beneath the festering moon) has probably the most delightful and quirky last level tune I've ever heard. The mood it creates is something else! Like I described it in a pm conversation with essel, "Not some cliche epic tune but totally mischievous sounding, like it's all been a big joke by the powers that be. Coupled with a sense that an even bigger joke is about to be unveiled."