Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Stuff that should be committed before new release

Download WAD here. Play it against the most recent development build, not the release IWADs.

Here's a list of contents:

Geckoyamori's sound pack minus player sounds: Rejected due to licensing of the player sounds in it. Gecko assures us the rest are totally original, so why not use them? They're better than the current sounds IMO.

Missile launch and revenant fire sounds: derived exclusively from existing Freedoom sounds, heavily edited in Audacity.

Old status bar numbers: I was foolish to submit needlessly recolored stuff. People have brought it up as an issue (it is). Let's revert back to the ones included here.

Ramoohawk's imp: I know these aren't final, but they're so much better than the current cheap looking imp.

My missile launcher: Uses muzzleflash from the rocket launcher Eriance donated.

Recolored shell pickup: Olive green instead of bright green.

Tweaked shotgun: Darkened the shotgun on frame D. Rotated frames C and D according to torridgristle's suggestion.

Tweaked SSG: Frame E's shells turned olive green, alignments on all frames redone, frame J cropped.

W33_8: I never liked the look of this one. Keeps the warning stripes but with a stone appearance to blend with the rest of the wall better.

Blue lights: Originals are a bit aliased.

CAMO5: Original is all pixelly, I fixed that with some blending and some noise.

Signs: I never liked Freedoom's signs. How are these?

Skies: Most of the skies are nice, but a bit rough. I polished some of them.

Liquid flats: Freedoom totally lacks consistency in liquid flats.

Ceiling flats: Not sure if these look too tech-like, given the usage as bricks a lot. I like the light better than Freedoom's, though.

Grass stuff: Freedoom's are ugly as sin, and its RROCK19 has no consistency with the textures that flat is meant to composite.

Tweaked console flat: Due to the fact that they're often used upside down, I feel this variation may look better in most contexts.

Changing the status bar colors in the first place confused prboom(-plus), so it would use the same color even if "all-red numbers" is disabled. Thanks for fixing the problem (I think?)

As for the new SSG, one of the frames is incomplete. Also the weapon pick up sprites don't always match the weapon sprites themselves.

If it must be committed, can't you separate everything and make a pull request?

I'd also vote to add robotdog1's submissions:

robotdog1 said:

Better looking Water and Bloodfalls, No more Grey splotches

Newer gibdeaths for the player and Chaingunners, the current ones don't match the style of the Zombies and Imp gibdeaths

New Bullet puffs, purely edited from the freedoom ones, I tried making them different from Id's but its difficult with such a small sprite

Combo-Key graphics for ZDoom-based ports for when you have both Keycards and Skullkeys

Slightly enhanced Angle Grinder. Mostly color tweaking and anti-aliasing. and its now widescreen friendly. It's a small change but I think it helps a lot aesthetically.

I also made a Widescreen version of the normal Angle Grinder

What's also included is a LANGUAGE lump for ZDoom that changes Weapon names for Mouse scrolling through weapons shown here in this shoddy thrown together screenshot thing http://i.imgur.com/t5pR07J.png

And a GLDEFS lump that fixes the Dynamic lights for some objects for GZDoom from their Doom counterparts (I.E. SKAG ball glows blue instead of green, Red armor vest glows red instead of blue, and Temp-Invulnerability glows pink instead of green like they should)

As for your POISON sign, perhaps change the text to DANGER or TOXIC? Otherwise it is too similar to the original sign.

i agree that the widescreen angle grinder should be added, about the sign lets not forget that we can include several different versions

The bullet puffs are also an important contribution, as the currently used ones are very bright. Here's a comparison (currently used puffs are below):

This has actually been reported a while ago.

New version, download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3ckno7fz6bv9yz/sodafd_v2.wad?dl=0

Changes:

Included robodog1's stuff
Included my rendition of the new titlepic
Changed CEIL3_5 and CEIL3_6
Extended missile launcher sprite, raised a few pixels
Slightly cropped missile launcher flash frames
Vertically tiled skies

Switched to a modified version of Community Chest 4's SKY2 as SKY4. I'm awaiting Essel's response. This is about the SKY4 patch specifically, this isn't about the SKY4 texture in any way.

http://i.imgur.com/qvFihdV.png

EDIT: Seems like this specific asset won't be needed...

Oh, come on. If you wanted to request permission from me, you should have done so before announcing to everyone that you're submitting it. By having it done in public like this, especially after you've already posted the wad, you're not really giving me a fair chance to say yes or no. That's not asking for permission.

esselfortium said:

Oh, come on. [...] That's not asking for permission.

I think you're taking this the wrong way. Why does the order and timing of these events matter that much? It all hinges on your word and I never acted otherwise.

I was just treating it as an open "hey look what I did with an existing graphic, but don't take it seriously". I wasn't trying to pressure you at all, I thought my disclaimer in the post was pretty clear.

esselfortium said:

you're not really giving me a fair chance to say yes or no.

What action did I take to do that? Again, I made clear I was waiting to see what your thoughts were, no declaration of anything. That particular asset was not intended as a submission, just an open proposal.

EDIT: After an unpleasant IRC conversation in which I learn Essel has an irrational hatred of me, it's quite clear it isn't a go on that certain asset. Oh well.

The newer sound effects sort of sound quiet to my ears compared to the most of the older sound assets, maybe amplify them a tiny bit so they match in volume. And the newer SSG feels really tiny in first person view. It should be raised or be made about 20-25% larger.

Unfortunate that things took a quick turn south, but let's try to keep on topic, please.

robotdog1 said:

The newer sound effects sort of sound quiet to my ears compared to the most of the older sound assets, maybe amplify them a tiny bit so they match in volume.

They're already maxed out IIRC. Maybe they could do with some compression.

robotdog1 said:

And the newer SSG feels really tiny in first person view. It should be raised or be made about 20-25% larger

Agreed. I'll see what I can do.

Just to clarify version 1.0 is not going to be released any time soon. As fraggle said .9 doesnt indicate 90% completion

raymoohawk said:

Just to clarify version 1.0 is not going to be released any time soon. As fraggle said .9 doesnt indicate 90% completion

But hopefully we can expect milestone releases like 0.91, 0.92 etc. (or 0.901, 0.902 etc. if a longer development cycle is expected) in the near term?

chungy said:

0.10 will happen Soon.

I was under the impression that you meant it literally. Whether 0.10 is imminent or not, this stuff should still be processed for commission.

Sodaholic said:

Whether 0.10 is imminent or not, this stuff should still be processed for commission.

I completely agree. It's better to revert to older attic assets if needed at a later date than risk these contributions disappear because of expired file hosting or something.

BTW, I would also suggest adding Maz Hades' recolour of the Baron found here. And maybe luckypunk's "elemental" Baron edit could be used as the Knight? (he also has the elemental version of the Knight in a different colour in the same WAD but blue seems kind of better suited for this).

chungy said:

0.10 will happen Soon.

I'm not sure if I'm right on this but I find v0.10 coming after v0.9 a bit confusing. I would expect v0.10 to come after v0.09 and before versions 0.20, 0.30... 0.90.

im sorry to say, but those "elemental" edits are horrible, besides the current baron is a fairly good sprite. maz's edit is good, but too dark, wich would affect visibility in most source ports (notice how doom sprites are rarely that dark)

raymoohawk said:

im sorry to say, but those "elemental" edits are horrible

Quality issues aside, I just believe that it would be generally a good idea to move all complete submissions that have been contributed here to the attic so that they might be available if not for the main IWAD, then for a mod at least.

I hate the idea that people spent time and effort on something to add to the project and it ends up being neglected with a risk of becoming completely unavailable due to technical issues like expired file hosting. After all, even if a resource that is submitted isn't in a perfect condition or of excellent quality, there's a chance it can be improved by another artist, or serve as a basis for something else. Or maybe someone subjectively likes that asset anyway and wants to use it in their mod. If Freedoom is indeed to be a Doom modding resource and not just a TC, then I think it makes sense to archive all contributions if there are no legal issues against that (basically, what I suggested here).

That said, I have not yet tested the elemental monsters in-game but they could work as some kind of ad hoc substitution of partial invisibility counterparts to regular monsters.

raymoohawk said:

besides the current baron is a fairly good sprite

It does have issues with bright pixels at sprite borders, noticeable at close-up.

raymoohawk said:

maz's edit is good, but too dark

Well, I guess it could be brightened a bit?

I hate to pester, but a lack of feedback usually means that a submission has been ignored and nobody has committed it.

Lately submitted, no feedback on being committed.
- Map09 Ver 14 (11/14/2015)
- Spider Demon Ver 8.2 (10/14/2015)
- RSKY2 Ver 04 (8/25/2015)

older
- Map13 Ver 028 (2012)
- Map19 Ver 10 (2014)
- Pain elemental Ver 055 (2012)
- Skeleton Ver 02 (2012)

Who are the people in charge of making commits anyway? Who passes the decision on what's added and what's not?

A while ago it was mentioned in another thread that

XCOPY said:

You have to send them directly on the github archive, don't expect fraggle or anyone else to commit it for you. Sounds rude at first, but that is just an (justified) unwritten norm.

which suggests that it is the contributor's own responsibility to add resources to github?

wesleyjohnson said:

I hate to pester, but a lack of feedback usually means that a submission has been ignored and nobody has committed it.

Lately submitted, no feedback on being committed.
- Map09 Ver 14 (11/14/2015)
- Spider Demon Ver 8.2 (10/14/2015)
- RSKY2 Ver 04 (8/25/2015)

older
- Map13 Ver 028 (2012)
- Map19 Ver 10 (2014)
- Skeleton Ver 02 (2012)

Honestly, your best chance at getting your submission committed is to clone the github repository, commit your changes, and then make a pull request.

i havent checked the other wesley stuff, but his updated spidermind is much better and should be added imo. it just needs a better death sequence

Doctor Nick said:

Honestly, your best chance at getting your submission committed is to clone the github repository, commit your changes, and then make a pull request.

That's what I intend to do. I've made a few changes to my patch WAD since, anyhow.

wesleyjohnson said:

- Map13 Ver 028 (2012)
- Map19 Ver 10 (2014)
- Skeleton Ver 02 (2012)

Can you please provide links to those items?