Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

DOOM should be Doom 3, and Doom 3 should be DOOM

Doom 3 was a reboot of the series, so why should it be included with Doom and Doom 2?
DOOM seems to look promising as the reveal shows that they are going in the right direction of Doom: Doom. So TECHNICALLY, DOOM should be part of the trilogy instead of Doom 3 (by gameplay, not story).

Its like Quake, a nameless marine fighting extra dimensional creatures and their hideous leader, into Quake 2, Strogg? Where did that come from?

Think of it like this.
Doom/TUDoom-plain violence with a few kinks.
Shoot anything that moves.
Doom II-enhanced shotgun violence with more fucked up demons to slay.
Doom 3-"normal" shotgun and helpless feeling takes over.
Think twice about shooting something that moves.
DOOM-Doomguy's true 3D incarnation...Welcome back.
Shoot anything that moves, you'll get free shit by killing.

EDIT-in terms of naming ONLY. Not to gameplay.

Shaviro said:

I always pause Doom3 to ponder whether I should shoot the monsters.

not sure if you were joking or being serious.
But in Doom 3, there monsters and NPCs. Why shoot the NPCs? They usually help you (like the one where the guy with light guides you through some maze-like corridors...An NPC had to HELP Doomguy get through a labyrinth...Look at Doom/Doom 2).

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Doom 3 sucks like a motherfucker, Doom 4 shouldn't be the same .

True. But not what I'm saying.
Just saying that if Doom 3 was DOOM(in terms of titles) then it would make sense, a reboot not a sequel/prequel. While the new Doom(DOOM) is looking more like something like the original Doom, so why shouldn't it be a part of the trilogy as Doom 3?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Oh, I wouldn't be that harsh. It has a host of little problems, but it's oozing with atmosphere, and when it works, it works well. In some ways it's far more tense than Doom 1/2.

Where does the game even take place anyway? Are they gonna keep rebooting Doom over and over again or did hell simply rebuild the last time it was completely destroyed?

Doom 3 pretty much ended saying the sequel would be on earth. So far it looks like it is not but on mars... btw lock the npc in the chamber lol

MetroidJunkie said:

Where does the game even take place anyway? Are they gonna keep rebooting Doom over and over again or did hell simply rebuild the last time it was completely destroyed?

Dunno, but this is definitely another reboot and it looks like it's on Mars, I'm certain that has been confirmed. I don't think we'll see Phobos and Deimos in this one, but I'd like to. It'd be a wonderful surprise.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Ignorant Member is right, guys. Doom 3 sucks like a motherfucker. I usually visit Doom 3 every day for some of that nasty good head. Doom 3 always knows how to build me up right before I present it with a milky shower that practically makes my head asplode. Doom 3 sucks fucking well.

If Doom 3 was DOOM 2016, I would fucking puke. I love DOOM 3, but DOOM '16 Is more like PSX DOOM then anything else, It's already spooky In a way.

The people who were disappointed by Doom 3 because it was not classic Doom only with graphic updates will be disappointed by the new Doom as well. No matter how good the game will be on it's own.

I don't know, I was more disappointed by things Doom 3 did differently. It exchanged relatively open space areas with secret finding and exploration for tight corridors in pitch black, relying on jumpscares rather than having good gameplay flow, in my opinion. They just couldn't compromise on that pretty graphics engine and it hurt the level design.

But seriously if people want a remake of the Classic Doom, they can simple look for it on search engines, there's already some HD Remakes of classic doom, i personally would love to experience something new, Not another stupid attempt at recreating Doom in a Higher quality .

Without a doubt, it shouldn't be a clone of Doom, but I think the way Doom 3 went about its changes didn't really add to what made Doom special, it just tried to be some kind of hybrid of action and horror and didn't really succeed at either. I actually enjoyed the Doom RPG and it, in some regards, changed the Doom formula even more than Doom 3 did.

That'd actually be really fucking weird.

That'd suggest Doom 3 was one of those same title reboots, and along comes Doom 4 years later that's in itself a reboot but completely ignores the previous reboot and tries to be a game in the series pre-reboot.

Even weirder is it's copying a lot of Doom 3's aesthetic and ID is calling it simply Doom, as if they're trying to restart the entire franchise or something. I don't understand when game companies do that, it's like there's some taboo against adding a number to the end of the titles all of a sudden.

MetroidJunkie said:

Even weirder is it's copying a lot of Doom 3's aesthetic and ID is calling it simply Doom, as if they're trying to restart the entire franchise or something.

The only things I saw that even related to DOOM 3 was probably the Industrial area and some of the Demon designs, specially the Imps and Hellknights (though, The Imps look more hellish then In DOOM 3, where they looked like aliens).

Though, It looks like the Hellknights are going to be an entirely different demon from the Baron of Hell, and the Imps closely resemble the Hellknight. Hmm...

Anyways, the reason I wasn't fond of DOOM 3 was because of how boring It got In the beginning, It literally didn't make me want to finish It at first because of the shitty jumpscare attempts and overall boring feel, till later on that Is.

Tritnew said:

The only things I saw that even related to DOOM 3 was probably the Industrial area and some of the Demon designs, specially the Imps and Hellknights (though, The Imps look more hellish then In DOOM 3, where they looked like aliens).

Though, It looks like the Hellknights are going to be an entirely different demon from the Baron of Hell, and the Imps closely resemble the Hellknight. Hmm...

Anyways, the reason I wasn't fond of DOOM 3 was because of how boring It got In the beginning, It literally didn't make me want to finish It at first because of the shitty jumpscare attempts and overall boring feel, till later on that Is.

Holy shit! I also thought that the imps looked like those hell knights!

Aliens...you're right. Those imps have lots of black eyes on them, resembling an alien...unless Hell is actually an alien planet...

Voros said:

Holy shit! I also thought that the imps looked like those hell knights!

Aliens...you're right. Those imps have lots of black eyes on them, resembling an alien...unless Hell is actually an alien planet...

Hell In a way Is suppose to be surreal and out of place unlike our world, It'd make sense for the Imps to look completely weird. I just didn't like the Imp In DOOM 3, where In DOOM 2016, they actually look like a Demon.

I'm pretty sure the Hell Knights In this DOOM are fully grown and buffed Imps.

Voros said:

Doom 3 was a reboot of the series, so why should it be included with Doom and Doom 2?
DOOM seems to look promising as the reveal shows that they are going in the right direction of Doom: Doom. So TECHNICALLY, DOOM should be part of the trilogy instead of Doom 3 (by gameplay, not story).

Its like Quake, a nameless marine fighting extra dimensional creatures and their hideous leader, into Quake 2, Strogg? Where did that come from?

Think of it like this.
Doom/TUDoom-plain violence with a few kinks.
Doom II-enhanced shotgun violence with more fucked up demons to slay.
Doom 3-"normal" shotgun and helpless feeling takes over.
Think twice about shooting something that moves.
DOOM-Doomguy's true 3D incarnation...Welcome back.
Shoot anything that moves, you'll get free shit by killing.

EDIT-in terms of naming ONLY. Not to gameplay.

I'm not even gonna try to understand what you're attempting to convey here.

GoatLord said:

Oh, I wouldn't be that harsh. It has a host of little problems, but it's oozing with atmosphere, and when it works, it works well. In some ways it's far more tense than Doom 1/2.

I second this. I would also add that part of Doom 3's better atmospheric quality is simply due to far more advanced technology available at the time (dynamic lighting, better sounds, etc.) Doom 3 is also significantly different from tit's predecessors in that it relied almost entirely on ambient sound rather than music for the atmosphere.

What's wrong with calling it Doom anyway, i don't mind it called "DOOM" as long as i'll be able to play it ;) .

Hofmann said:

What if new DOOM is a reboot, but in a different time line? Like Wolf TNO is in an alternate reality.

Eh, this DOOM Is gonna be a retelling and origin story for the first DOOM (or just a origin story), as far as I know.

Tritnew said:

Eh, this DOOM Is gonna be a retelling and origin story for the first DOOM (or just a origin story), as far as I know.

Just like Doom 3 was. They wanted to called Doom 3 "Doom" but couldn't for some reason.

AirRaid said:

Just like Doom 3 was. They wanted to called Doom 3 "Doom" but couldn't for some reason.

It was because one of the developers told them that Fans need more than a remake f i remember, i don't remember who though .

AirRaid said:

Eh, I didn't think DOOM 3's remake of DOOM 1's plot wasn't that good. They went an little too serious with It, I wouldn't mind them doing a serious plot In the new DOOM, but not entirely THAT serious, I want It to at least be over-the-top like the plot In DOOM 1 with Doomguy watching R-Rated movies then BAM, Demon Invasion.

...Maybe not that over-the-top, but you know what I'm saying.