Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Warcraft The Movie

Here it fucking is finally at last lads they're finally releasing the Warcraft movie we've all been waiting for with the incredible Blizzard animation we've come to know and yearn for in a feature length movie.

Being a Warcraft fan, I really hope this movie will be good! And so far, my expectations have been met! This could very well be the first real blockbuster movie based a on an gaming franchise that doesn't suck or of mediocre quality. But then again, I might just be too biased to see the truth. Fingers crossed!

As an absolute stranger to Warcraft-anything and not even being into fantasy at all, my thoughts are: Those guy's teeth got my interest, and nothing else really, due to appearing as generic modern fantasy (maybe that's what Warcraft is supposed to be, though).

Orc baby Jesus? Can players watch things in theaters? I know nothing about Warcraft.

I find this laughably bad. The plot already seems just tacked onto the inevitable orcs vs. humans war, so it's basically just a distraction and maybe a setup for a heroic saviour uniting everyone against A Big Bad in movie 4, 7 or 21 depending on sales. It's also surprising how videogamey and cheap the CGI looks - I'd swear some of their game intros looked better, heh.

I do not get why they did not render everything. Now it has video game CG with real actors, which makes the CG look even worse. They have a good rendering style, many games have good rendering styles for their videos. why not use those ?

The heavy use of CGI mixed with real actors feels awkward. Also the plot seems doll and generic. As far as I can gather "Orc race in trouble, Orc race must, with many obstacles and issues to deal with, build an alliance with Humans". Reminds me of the latest planets of the apes actually.

The Warcraft game stories (not the WoW abomination) didn't have the most unique plots ever but made but they were interesting nonetheless. The Undead with an Agenda, not to typically kill all life but rather was serving the Demonic forces and planning to unleash them upon the world. However The Undead had plans to betray their own masters too. Eventually a smaller group called the Forsaken was formed who were more free thinking.

Orcs were once slaves to the Demon powers serving exactly as the Undead did but the Human victory in Warcraft 2 freed them from the curse but the Humans enslaved some, others escaped while a few still wanted to serve the Demon kind.

Prince Arthus was trying so hard to stop the Undead plague and eventually became corrupted himself. He lost his morality killing many innocents infected by the plague, betrayed an old friend and eventually voices of a dark power got to his head and made him kill his father and take his place as King, bringing back the ancient Witch King.

The Dark Elves were elves. Something about being ancient thus more deeper to the world, faced off the demons before, blah blah great tree, blah blah elves suck. There are way too many plots and subplots to keep track of.

I remember when people were up in arms about the Spiderman movie looking 99% CGI maybe 15 years ago. Then when the movie came out it was maybe 10% CGI. It was all the trailer that was cgi.

As it turns out trailers aren't movies.

I hope this trailer is fooling me, but i get a feeling that this might be a cheap guy on "side A" loves something on "side B" story. Why else would they show the female orcs so soon ?

I realy hope this trailer is playing tricks on me though.

The mix of CGI and real actors does look pretty odd. Seems like a high quality 3DO game or something.

Looks like it'll be really good. I'm wondering if other races introduced after the first game will be in there besides the orks orcs and humans.

darknation said:

great I fucking love warhammer when is this out?

This was my exact thought as well.

darknation said:

great I fucking love warhammer when is this out?

heh if you know Warhammer it would never be this soft. We are talking Inquisitors burning people, Chaos using peoples faces as armor decorations, non dramatic Orcs who just want to slaughter, an abundance of oversized rats and so forth.

dio said:

Orc baby Jesus? Can players watch things in theaters? I know nothing about Warcraft.

Perhaps the main character in the entire game series, if it has one, is orc jesus.

yukib1t said:

Looks like it'll be really good. I'm wondering if other races introduced after the first game will be in there besides the orks orcs and humans.

This was my exact thought as well.

Uhmm it says in the video June 10th

Looks like it follows more of the Warcraft 1 game since I do not recognize any plot from the second game. So far it feels completely free of World of We Want ALL Your Money.

If it in fact is say a movie-ization of the first game then I would probably watch it. However if it were anything Warcraft 3 and up, then no (even though WC3 is semi-decent).

Never played WoW though, not even once. I have perhaps so far only seen an hour worth of images related to the game.

Doominator2 said:

Uhmm it says in the video June 10th

It was my thought not because I was wondering the date, but because Warcraft basically started life as a licensed Warhammer Fantasy game. Somewhere Blizzard lost (or dropped?) the license. Either way, every time I fire up WoW, I can't help but think about Warhammer. Sorta like how Starcraft is a poor-man's Warhammer 40K.

dew said:

I find this laughably bad. The plot already seems just tacked onto the inevitable orcs vs. humans war, so it's basically just a distraction and maybe a setup for a heroic saviour uniting everyone against A Big Bad in movie 4, 7 or 21 depending on sales. It's also surprising how videogamey and cheap the CGI looks - I'd swear some of their game intros looked better, heh.

It's based on the first game, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, released in 1994.

First thought (before watching the trailer): Stop making movies based on games. Games are unique because they're interactive. There's no point.

Second thought (after seeing screenshots): Orcs look all wrong, too human. They're more beast-like in games.

Third thought: Why pretend you're making a 'real' movie with actors? Just make a fully CGI animation.

Fourth thought: Looks like every other modern fantasy movie. Then again, WarCraft is pretty much a typical fantasy stuff so that's ok, I guess.

Final thought: Screw this and WoW and everything else and just make the damn WarCraft IV already...

I've never played the original WarCraft, but I recognise the plot well enough to see where this is going. That to me would suggest that "Orc Moses" may well be Thrall for what I assume will be the third film in the trilogy... Although if he was born in captivity then I'm wrong.

Frankly, I like the look of this and intend to give it a watch when it's out.

Touchdown said:

Fourth thought: Looks like every other modern fantasy movie. Then again, WarCraft is pretty much a typical fantasy stuff so that's ok, I guess.

Warcraft has a wider breadth than most typical fantasy stuff. But due to how influential Peter Jackson's LotR movies where, everything after it has gotten more homogenized than ever with the obsession of emulating the same style and mood as those films. There's not much room for fun and imagniative fantasy movies these days when everything has to be presented in such a melodramatic fashion. Warcraft has goblins with Brooklyn accents flying around in rickety steampunk airplanes, but there's no way Legendary would allow something like that to be depicted in the movies.

Look at something like the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie to see just how much LotR changed things. Sure, the execution of that film leaves much to be desired, but I'm talking more about the presentation and mood they were aiming for. Had it been made post-LotR, you bet your ass the studio would have insisted on a fundamentally different direction.

Phobus said:

I've never played the original WarCraft, but I recognise the plot well enough to see where this is going. That to me would suggest that "Orc Moses" may well be Thrall for what I assume will be the third film in the trilogy... Although if he was born in captivity then I'm wrong.

Frankly, I like the look of this and intend to give it a watch when it's out.

I'll give it a try, but the more I think about it the more I'm not into medieval fantasy movies so much as medieval fantasy video games. Maybe with games I'm just immersed in my own story that I can't put up with someone else's.

DooM_RO said:

It's based on the first game, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, released in 1994.

If it's based on the original Warcraft games then shouldn't the Orcs be corrupted demonic slaves invading Azeroth?

Phobus said:

That to me would suggest that "Orc Moses" may well be Thrall for what I assume will be the third film in the trilogy... Although if he was born in captivity then I'm wrong.

He was found as an infant by a human and raised as a slave/gladiator before he escaped.

Chezza said:

If it's based on the original Warcraft games then shouldn't the Orcs be corrupted demonic slaves invading Azeroth?

Yeah, it's only "based" on the original game in the sense of the first war between orcs and humans. Any plot elements beyond "build base, vanquish enemy" are tacked on. W1 was a shallow Dune clone, the series properly started with W2 and afaik Blizzard didn't go "story mode" until the mission pack for W2. That having a ton of plot-driven hero missions, iirc.

I think the movie company is doing it wrong. I think they should've started with the best they have to offer story-wise - the Arthas/lich-king stuff in W3. If that's a commercial success, branch out with sequels and prequels. Starting from Adam is way too limiting in Warcraft's case.

Yeah, when I first heard that they were doing a Warcraft movie, I was 100% sure that it would be based on the third game which is obviously the strongest in the story aspect.

dew said:

I think the movie company is doing it wrong. I think they should've started with the best they have to offer story-wise - the Arthas/lich-king stuff in W3. If that's a commercial success, branch out with sequels and prequels. Starting from Adam is way too limiting in Warcraft's case.

Yeah, start out with the most story-dense game with no prior followup, relegating two games worth of story and buildup to a text dump or clumsy exposition.

Mr. Freeze said:

Yeah, start out with the most story-dense game with no prior followup, relegating two games worth of story and buildup to a text dump or clumsy exposition.

I'm glad we're on the same page. Even Americans like you aren't so entirely and incredibly dumb to not get the entire plot of W1 and W2 combined in an opening 30s explanation by the narrator.