Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Post your specific complaints about the search here

Seems like some people dislike the new search. First I'll say that the old search is not coming back, if you ask for it to come back you are wasting your time. I didn't put in a new search just for fun but because the old one functioned in a way where it was literally crippling the server.

So with that said, I'd like your specific complaints, with specific use-case examples, about what you don't like about the new search and what you wish it would do.

I'd like to be able to search for specific things by sub forum. Say I want to search for an in development map from joe-ilya, but I don't know the name of the map, so what I would do is just search for poster joe-ilya, I wouldn't want search results to come back from the Everything Else forum.

A feature that's missing is "find thread" vs. "find posts". Sometimes when looking for something I'll get swamped by results that are from threads that I know are not the one I'm looking for. With the vBulletin search I could collapse all these annoying results into one per thread instead of cluttering the results.

E.g. trying to find a thread about a demo version without getting countless hits from people who have recorded a demo of some version of a map... Okay for this particular use-case, restricting the search by forum or sub-forum would be an alternative as you could just search outside of the demo forum.

Another feature that'd be interesting would be a "find in thread" feature. E.g. threadid:84602 as a search term to only find results from this thread.

Jaws In Space said:

I'd like to be able to search for specific things by sub forum.

This one. I usually search for editing related stuff and I found to be more useful to restrict the search in the appropriate sub-forum where I can find the most detailed answers about that matter.

Jaws In Space said:

I'd like to be able to search for specific things by sub forum. Say I want to search for an in development map from joe-ilya, but I don't know the name of the map, so what I would do is just search for poster joe-ilya, I wouldn't want search results to come back from the Everything Else forum.

I second this. A list of threads started by "nickname" or containing "nickname" per sub-forum instead of the individual "snippets" it generates now. It used to be realy simple to enter a nickname and get a list of threads he or she started in... say... wads & mods.

The search page is not descriptive enough. Are the only supported options "poster" and "quoting"?

Perl regex would be neat.

Could also add "beforedate", "afterdate", "attachment" (with globbing), "url", "img".

Dates would have to be "smart" and inclusive so if you just say "afterdate:2005", it will filter posts which were posted in 2005 and up.

Another useful thing would be to search a single thread, so the ones which have 3000 posts can be searched directly rather than using a global search. Also perhaps sub-forum selections.

So what if somebody wants a to find a thread (or threads) of which he or she does not know the exact name or number... in a certain sub-forum ?

The old search used to link to a "sub forum of choice" based upon what the user entered. it did all of that while having an easy to use system to chose what type of search the user wanted. (by username, by subforum, by content, by title, etc.)

The first sentence describes what people seem to be missing, while the second is an example description of how it used to work.

now it demands some obscure commands and lists "posts" from everywhere and nowhere.

capiche ?

FireFish said:

capiche ?

The fuck is your problem?

In other news, you can now browse by thread instead of by post, I think.

Linguica said:

The fuck is your problem?

That was a harmless joke towards you writing "obviously" as if it was that simple... ;)

Linguica said:

In other news, you can now browse by thread instead of by post, I think.

Yet, it still does not make people search in one sub-forum or tells them about a command to search in a specific sub forum like "wads & mods" or "everything else" as was possible with the old system. which also seems to be what some might be reffering to. A tick box per sub forums or something like that. ;)

It's almost as if coding shit takes time and energy, and I haven't gotten around to that request yet. Weird!!

Linguica said:

It's almost as if coding shit takes time and energy, and I haven't gotten around to that request yet. Weird!!

how dare you claim such bold statements. I hope your peasants smite you with their plows and take your title as the castle lord !

not a complaint, but since the tone in this thread became a bit dark I want to say I really like the new search, it is awesome, I do not want the old one back at all

I think my main complaint is the UI. I like the keyword driven interface but most search engines also have a separate àdvanced search form, eg. https://www.google.com/advanced_search

When you have a form like this it's easier to include things like drop downs for searching specific forums.

Any chance we'll see the same search applied to idgames as well in the near future?

As I've already said here and here a month ago, I would like the basic features of the old search get reimplemented. Namely these:

-User can choose to search only thread titles vs. search entire posts.
-User can choose to display results as threads vs. display them as posts. (done now)
-User can choose to perform search only within a certain subforum.
-User can choose to perform search only for posts/threads posted within a certain time period.
-User can choose to sort results by date/subforum/thread name/poster's name/etc.

Also:
-User would choose to display posts with preview (as it is now) vs. display them as links without preview (as it was before).
-User would choose to sort and/or filter results by character length.

FireFish said:

how dare you claim such bold statements. I hope your peasants smite you with their plows and take your title as the castle lord !

You do know linguica doesn't owe you or anyone else here anything, right?

40oz said:

You do know linguica doesn't owe you or anyone else here anything, right?

What the hell happened to this place, people cant seem to joke around anymore. That was a clear joke. Fuck this place im done with it.

Well the part of the joke that wasn't funny probably has something to do with it. (all of it)

I didn't realize there was a new search until I saw this thread. My thoughts have already been addressed except to say that I like the speed of the new one.

Jaws In Space said:

Done, although I'm not sure I agree with your choice of search terms

Is there any chance of a "Blogs only" search function being added to that forum, so I can point out a few recipes to rdwpa?

Or better yet, include Blogs and Post Hell forums in the search options.

Blogs and Post Hell are specifically excluded from the search. The latter because the threads are considered effectively deleted and their content is not supposed to have value, and the former because it's purposely obscure and separated from the "normal" forums.

I think the only thing I missed from the old search was the ability to return threads instead of single posts. Now that we can return thread titles, I don't see much else I would [personally] miss from the old search.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to make updates to the forums Ling :)