Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I was born in 89'; When I got my first Windows 95 system in 2nd grade I went through all of the discs that came with it. (Encarta, Typing games, etc) One was a demo disc called "Space Shuttle Odyssey or something. It was an FPS style demo disc that was based on a space ship.

You could shoot out biohazard rings and walk around different rooms that had most Windows based games you could select to play the demo. That's where I discovered DooM, Mechwarrior 2, and several others. DooM was and still is my favorite game. Those were good times.. At that time there was NOTHING even close to the experience DooM provided.

I was really into Wolf 3D and Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold at that point in my life - I was also born in 1989, so was playing these at age 5/6!

Going from Blake Stone to Doom was unbelievable... won't ever forget the first time playing Hangar!

My first experience with doom anything was Sonic Robo Blast 2 1.09.4 when I was... 10(?). Curiosity led me to Sonic Doom 2, which led me to Doom Legacy and Freedoom. What followed is a complicated history of playing doom-based games, not playing them, choosing iwads, choosing source ports, and I'm happy with my current setup of Freedoom + Boom/Dosbox + Crispy Doom + Prboom plus.

In 1998, following a flood of source ports for the Amiga.

Phobus said:

1992. The bastards beat me to release by about a week!

You should have registered the name as a trademark. What did your alternative Doom look like?

In 1995 I heard some terrifying, kind a war-like sounds coming from my older brother's room. That was Doom II. When I first play it I was little jittery :) Immediately I ran into an obsession that has lasted to this day.

SavageCorona said:

Doom was released in December.

I know, I was there in 1993 ;) The implication is that it took me over a year to get it finished.

GreyGhost said:

You should have registered the name as a trademark. What did your alternative Doom look like?

I know, right? It's galling... Then again, as I was only 3 years old at the time I wasn't too up-to-date on how trademarks work.

Just to be clear, I was being silly. A straight answer would be 1993 when I saw my dad playing it. Like many people, I've been familiar with Doom since the beginning.

The first game i ever played at the tender age of 6. My step dad made me play on ultra-violence while he always chose hurt me plenty.

I still don't know why. Could've been an attempt to frustrate me into not wanting to play it that often, but i would've thought nightmare would've deemed that a success surely, so i didn't understand his intentions. Despite all that i soldiered on, keyboard only, and got my ass handed to me repeatedly.

Loved every minute of it.

When I was a baby/toddler I'd sit on my dad's lap while he was playing Wolf3D or Doom on his laptop, shouting "shoot, shoot!" When I was about 4 if you wanted to find me, I'd be on the old Pentium 3 or 4 partaking in some ultra-violence.

I had shareware in 1994. Got doom 2 before doom 1 for Christmas in 1995

The year was 1992, and my dad worked for Microsoft. He had all the computers know how. But I was three and wasnt allowed to see it until I was five.

So I guess 1994.

I was in junior high, and I had a mac laptop(hey, we all make mistakes in junior high). I was looking for some games to play and I found freedoom. After messing around with zdoom I managed to find a copy of doom2.wad on the internet and some PWADs like congestion 1024, and played them for hours in the dressing room while my dad was in orchestra rehearsal.

Years later, and I'm still hooked.

2001, my granddad had both of the PSX Dooms. The funny thing is, he's the one that's moved on to more modern games (Wolf: TNO recently I believe), and I'm still playing the old ones :P

On my dad's IBM PS/2 model 70 386 10 Mhz (no sound card) portable computer and next door neighbor's 386 DX when the shareware was just released. ;)

Yep, at age 4 and I only watched my father playing (the shareware version). I remember the operation system too, a beautiful Win 3.11 with PC Speaker-only sounds.

Later my family managed to buy a Soundblaster card.

Eris Falling said:

2001, my granddad had both of the PSX Dooms. The funny thing is, he's the one that's moved on to more modern games (Wolf: TNO recently I believe), and I'm still playing the old ones :P

Has he ever played RTCW?

Eris Falling said:

It's funny, this was true for my dad a few years back when he discovered GTA 4 - That was his "game to shoot stuff". I love the GTA series, but Doom is my absolute favorite, where as I'm sure if I asked him he'd say he prefers GTA.

There's definitely something about being exposed at a formative age that plays a certain role in sticking with the game for so long.

ant said:

On my dad's IBM PS/2 model 70 386 10 Mhz (no sound card) portable computer and next door neighbor's 386 DX when the shareware was just released. ;)

10 MHz? O_o

I wasn't even aware that such a low-clocked 386 existed.(Well, the specs say it was 20 MHz...maybe with the "turbo" mode off? ;-)

Christmas 1996 when i got the playstation, also got Pandemonium, X-2, Worms and True Pinball.
Still my favorite version of Doom next to Doom 64.