Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tritnew said:

maybe some tracks from DOOM 1 and 2 will be remixed?

I think we can say with 100% certainty that this is the case.

What's not 100% certain is whether or not we'll get some dark ambient. It seems like it'll lean toward industrial ambient, and while the difference sounds trivial, the latter simply isn't as scary.

One thing I always wanted to see in a Doom game was a licensed soundtrack since many of the songs in the original Doom were based on actual songs.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_music

To be fair, the idea of using a license soundtrack is really out of the question since it would cost ID Software an arm and a leg. (sighs) I guess it's something only fan mods can do. The idea of using lyrics in videogame music is nothing new. The GTA series is an example of this, but i'm pretty sure Rockstar games(the people behind the GTA series) pays alot for using licensed music. I doubt ID Software would make the same choice.

Some of the songs that would go great with the game.
No Remorse by Metallica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPA2rEsIgSU

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

Creeping Death by Metallica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWq3f01e2U

I know I pitched quite a few Metallica songs, but here's something different
Just One Fix by Ministry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsBvZRXF7A

GoatLord said:

I found that this really killed the pacing, because the "metal" was about as boneheaded and non-threatening as the genre gets. There are very few games where the use of metal music actually works in the game's favor.

Anybody's welcome to disagree with me if they'd like. What works in one series(the GTA franchise) might not work for fans of the Doom franchise. What do you think?

Undead Merc said:

Anybody's welcome to disagree with me if they'd like. What works in one series(the GTA franchise) might not work for fans of the Doom franchise. What do you think?

Sound design is as integral to video games as it is to cinema. In both media formats, heavy metal is rarely implemented into the soundtrack, for the same reason that hardcore punk, noise, improvisational jazz and gabber are found in relatively few OSTs. It's because they are simply too abrasive and extreme for most cinematic or video game situations. Classic Doom got away with it not only because of the time period in which it was released, but also because of the nature of the MIDI format.

These days, it would be rather inappropriate, due to the context of today's culture, to use actual licensed speed and thrash metal as the basis for neo-Doom's OST, because the maturity of the game's aesthetic would clash with the youthful brashness of classic metal. That's why my suggestions for a heavy soundtrack have been less oriented toward Metallica and more toward Morbid Angel, Godflesh, Portal, Sunn 0))) and Gnaw Their Tongues, as their music is generally more oriented toward textural ideas than melodic ones. Even then, I'm not sure how appropriate these sounds would be, even if they were vocal-less, which they would have to be, as I personally feel that, at least in an FPS setting, singing would be a major distraction.

There is music in DOOM, as shown in the reveal.
its not heavy metal or anything that loud, but it suits the gamers that are new to Doom. The music system seems pretty smart, ambience during walking and exploring, music during firefights... Doom 3 should have had that kind of music... Back on topic.
Its like what GoatLord said, it wouldn't fit society's needs like that in the '90s (I was never born back then, so I don't really know).

Hopefully, DOOM will have badass music during the boss levels (like the one in MAP30 from Doom - TNT: Evilution)

More than anything I want something that is as immersive as Aubrey's soundtrack. So far what we have is pretty good. I'm anxious to hear the music isolated and to get a sampling of more tracks.

I dunno, 90's Metal would be dissed by Teens nowadays unless they had cool parents and they listended to the music with them. I can understand If they wanna go wub wub on the music because of the new generation of fucktards liking dubstep, It's more Industrial Metal though, I think TNO's music would be an example.

At least Steam (or PS4, whichever I'm getting It on) has an option to open a web browser/app, that way you can play music on YouTube or something while you play the game. So It won't be a problem for people to change the music to something they like on the fly while playing It.

Tritnew said:

I dunno, 90's Metal would be dissed by Teens nowadays unless they had cool parents and they listended to the music with them. I can understand If they wanna go wub wub on the music because of the new generation of fucktards liking dubstep, It's more Industrial Metal though, I think TNO's music would be an example.

At least Steam (or PS4, whichever I'm getting It on) has an option to open a web browser/app, that way you can play music on YouTube or something while you play the game. So It won't be a problem for people to change the music to something they like on the fly while playing It.

Maybe there could be an option to add custom soundtracks in Doom, like those GTA games. This would be more efficient then a youtube video playing in the background, as it would need good internet constantly and would take up extra RAM and procesor (depends really on the device used to play DOOM).

Voros said:

Maybe there could be an option to add custom soundtracks in Doom, like those GTA games. This would be more efficient then a youtube video playing in the background, as it would need good internet constantly and would take up extra RAM and procesor (depends really on the device used to play DOOM).

Well, If they ever release the source code someday and decide to make the game completely moddable, chances are there'll probably be an music mod.

I doubt that happening since Zenimax Is tight when It comes to Id's engines, and It might end up like BFG Edition when It comes to modding, who knows.

is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder with each id Tech engine, to mod?

Voros said:

is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder with each id Tech engine, to mod?

We can only hope that they'll allow modding In Id Tech 6. :V

i like how the music is suited with the enviroment, adding suspense and motivation in us.
so far, i love the door sound...

Voros said:

i like how the music is suited with the enviroment, adding suspense and motivation in us.
so far, i love the door sound...

Yup, It's the good 'ole door opening sound from DOOM 1 and 2.

Tritnew said:

Yup, It's the good 'ole door opening sound from DOOM 1 and 2.

glad id bought it back...now for some other sounds...

WAIT

We didnt see any elevators...whats up with that?

Voros said:

glad id bought it back...now for some other sounds...

WAIT

We didnt see any elevators...whats up with that?

Elevators in a fast paced multiplayer game are kinda bad design. It telegraphs player movement and provides kinda easy "kill zones" at the top or bottom.

It's why jump-pads are a thing.

AirRaid said:

Elevators in a fast paced multiplayer game are kinda bad design. It telegraphs player movement and provides kinda easy "kill zones" at the top or bottom.

It's why jump-pads are a thing.

and singleplayer? surely thats a good thing.

Voros said:

Is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder with each id Tech engine, to mod?

It is, as a matter of fact, there aren't idtech 5 mods and from id tech 1 to 4 are the only ones who seem possible to mod, in other words, Id is cutting mod support for new games, except D3 BFG edition as it seems to have some moddability.

J.B.R said:

It is, as a matter of fact, there aren't idtech 5 mods and from id tech 1 to 4 are the only ones who seem possible to mod, in other words, Id is cutting mod support for new games, except D3 BFG edition as it seems to have some moddability.

does anyone really care about the BFG edition?

Plus, i think the complexity of the engine and the game are the factors. if someone can understand id Tech 6, then that guy will probably succeed in modding.

J.B.R said:

BFG edition has less modding support/capability than base Doom 3 did. And it definitely breaks a lot of mods designed for base Doom 3. Phobos won't work with BFG edition I'm pretty sure.

Also, people don't seem to realise the amount of work it would take to make something worthwhile for idtech 5. It's not impossible, it's just a huge undertaking and that pretty much put everyone off. Specially when there's other engines you could learn which are much easier and more suited to a possible career, like Unity and UE4.