Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

What is the coolest wad you ever have played and what wad should i play?

Suspended in Dusk.
It might be getting on a bit now but it is a very impressive wad. It is one wad that everyone should play imo.

Dave

go through the cacowards.

if you want specifics, alien vendetta, icarus, btsx ep1, perditions gate...

there are so many.

maps by The Innocent Crew
Fava Beans
Classic Episode
The Invaders Series
Galaxya.wad
Star Wars 1994 maps
Hell Revealed 2
Virgil "the Doom poet" maps
Fragport
Deus Vult 2
Adventures of Square

over the maps people already posted here

Deus Vult 2, Sunder and Scythe 2. Parkmore adds parkour to the game, which is pretty awesome by itself.

If DM is your thing, try Lazarus1j.

Demon Eclipse is my all-time favorite mod (mostly because of the weapons, the cool theme and E2), along with Scythe 2 and Ultimate Torment and Torture.

I'm surprised we're missing some of the maps that are more 'epic' in appearance. Here's a small list.

-------------

Valhalla, by Ed Cripps

Download Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ma_val

-------------

Winter's Fury by Pyroscourge:-

http://i.imgur.com/714pB.png?1

Download Link: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62496-winters-fury/

-------------

Putrefier, also by Ed Cripps

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?3161bnui5or1b62

-------------

This one has been said already, but...
Stronghold - Community effort lead by Tormentor667. (Shameless self-plug, I have two maps in there, heh; that said, I haven't used a screenshot of any of my maps.)

Download Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/strhedge

Doom City is a great 1995 map with custom textures. It only takes about 10 minutes to beat but seeing this many custom resources in Doom back then was astonishing in itself.

HELLRUN is a 1996 map and was sort of like an early slaughtermap, though pretty tame by today's standards. The layout is massive and incredibly clever, and it's a lot of fun exploring all the interconnecting rooms and finding all the secrets. Beating this in one sitting will take about 40 minutes.

Area 51 from 1997. Another wad that blew me away with all the custom resources - It's a really fun themed map. Not very long, but well built and enjoyable the whole way. Map02 sucks by comparison but the wad is still miles ahead of most of it's contemporaries. Most of you will probably like it.

Bermuda is a pretty sweet '99 map. It's a little plain by todays standards but is well built and a lot of fun. Will probably take you about 20 minutes to beat. A few cool tricks here and there that weren't so commonly seen back then. Fun stuff.

(All of these are modest by today's standards.. Well, except Hellrun, that one kinda seems like a modern map in some respects. This is my go-to list of nostalgic WADs that I would easily recommend, I've posted this list several times in the past when asked similar questions. Compared to what Dragonfly posted, these truly are old as the hills. I dig that, though.)

EDIT: Wtf that tacoaqu.wad was like a YTP in the form of a Doom wad. Slightly Terryish but I actually laughed at how goddamn ridiculous it is. I love that they keep calling the non-burrito a burrito. Carnevil and John Romero form a taco when fused. Never would have guessed. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Doomkid said:

Doom City is a great 1995 map with custom textures. It only takes about 10 minutes to beat but seeing this many custom resources in Doom back then was astonishing in itself.

I saw the words '10 minutes to beat', wanting a quick game I decided to give it a go.

The start of the map it somewhat hard but it eases off after that. It's not the most fun map but it's certainly impressive for it's time!

doom.wad

To this day, maybe its nostalgia, but I still find the original 3 doom episodes to be the best designed. After that, AV.wad, hands down. (maybe Speed of Doom after). DV.wad has a significant place somewhere also.

SavageCorona said:

You're forgetting the fact that E4M2 trumps all maps, E1M1 through E3M9 included.

Um, actually, Episode 1 trumps all other 3. :P

I have to say Hell Revealed has always blown my socks off, which I have to be honest, and probably one of the few out there, find the difficulty to be tied with Plutonia. But nothing could ever top the awesomeness of Requiem and Alien Vendetta.

Some of my favorite megawads are Scythe 1 and 2, Deus Vult II, Icarus, Vanguard, plenty of others I can't think of right now. Pirate Doom is breathtaking, as is uTnT.

fraggle said:

My favorite is still Suspended in Dusk (sid.wad)

Aesthetically and maybe even conceptually this appears like the direct predecessor of BTSX, so recommended if you like the latter.

That's all that comes to mind now, but there is more
(without preference order)

Oldschool:
---------------
Doom 1 IWAD
Memento Mori 2
Hell Revealed 1
Perdition's Gate
Plutonia
Doom 1 TWID
Strain

Modern:
--------------
BTSX 1-2
Estranged
Base Ganymede
Scythe II
Valiant
Coffee Break
NRFTL (NERVE)
Suitcase of Gor
Doom2 Unleashed

Other:
--------------
Skulldash
Stronghold
Doom 64

Void. I will always, always adore every inch of void. It conveys a sense of otherwordliness and atmosphere that is just hard to match. It had such a smooth approach to being not-Doom that it all just flowed. So good. So goooooooooood

Pirate Doom. Pirate Doom bears the thickest air of quirky/creepy nostalgia I have encountered in a very long time in anything. It really is a treat, and a trick, and a trip. Do not miss it.

Phocas Island 2. Nothin' out there is really like it in the Doom-world. It's definitely not Doom, but it is a fantastically unique adventure with some awesome exploratory options.

BTSX E1/E2 have unique atmospheres as well that have cemented them in my mind. I guess I just really like it when more laid back, almost introspective and vaguely mysterious/surreal music and level design hits a nice contrast with the rampant shooty-shoot gorefest that is your average Doom session. Those types of moments and images stick in my mind.

riki2321 said:

What is the coolest wad you ever have played and what wad should i play?

One day I shall create a wad called 'With Yourself' just so I can post it childishly in threads like this.

Torm'S Ultimate Torment and Torture is one of the coolest wads I've played.

If you like vanilla stuff. Yeah Back To Saturn X is great.

For Zdoom you can try Legacy of Suffering

My personal favorites:

Darkening 2
Suspended In Dusk
Sunlust
Phobos Anomaly Reborn
UAC Ultra (in terms of atmosphere and setting I found it incredibly unique, like an absolutely filthy, post-apocalyptic version of Quake 2)
Back To Saturn X E1 (haven't played E2 yet)
Caverns of Darkness
Aliens TC
STRAIN
Mordeth E1
Hellcore 2.0

I very much enjoy all of the official Doom wads, as well -- 1, 2, TNT, Plutonia, Master Levels, No Rest For The Living, as well as Doom 64.

There were also quite a few early ZDoom maps I half-remember as really enjoying.

A lot of great wads have already been mentioned, but one I've always loved that doesn't get much attention these days is The Talosian Incident.

It's an old school wad, but it has fantastic atmosphere, largely thanks to it's great soundtrack. The levels all bleed into one another - where one ends, the next begins, so you really feel like you're in a "living" place. This isn't really mindblowing these days, but it was pretty awesome to me back in 1997/1998.

Here's the link https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/talosian