Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Megamaps, best ones out there?

So far, I've basically tried three: After the Holocaust, 7 Sins (sajbear), and Protean Cybex.

I think that After the Holocaust gives a more realistic world to explore, but can ruin that progression you go through, as it is MAP01, better to be... MAP19.

7 Sins is HUGE. I don't know what to say. It scares me... I like that.

But, IMO, Protean Cybex is the most balanced then those two (no offense). I like how the whole chemical facility looks like, big and scary.

Any other megamaps out there other? Which is the best in looks, features, compatibility and etc.?

P.S. - Maybe one day, someone will take all these maps, and put them in one WAD...

Voros said:

Which is the best in looks, features, compatibility and etc.?

Best in features and best in compatibility? (I will assume that "best" compatibility means that the map is playable in the widest range of ports.) They're inversely proportional, mind you. Intended compatibility determines available mapping features, and actually used mapping features determine compatibility. Typically, the more advanced features, the more specific (narrower) compatibility. The less advanced features, the wider compatibility. Finding a balance between them depends on each particular project and its author's goals and decisions, so there will never be an objective way to say what is "best" in this regard.

But if you want to judge them separately (for whatever reason), here you go:
-All vanilla compatible maps are the best in compatibility.
-All maps using GZDoom-specific features are the best in features.

IMO, neither of them (itself) says anything about the map's quality, at all.

Disturbia by Death-Destiny. While it's not as big as some of the other stuff that has been suggested, it's still big enough to be an amazing journey. It's considered a challenge on UV, hence the default difficulty level should be HMP. The visuals resembles Community Chest 2 MAP24(a personal favorite I might add) and the gameplay is something like Speed of Doom later maps style. The mapper decided to remove any shell-based weapons(no SG+SSG), instead opting for a new weapon called "Super Chaingun"(50% higher rate of fire, double ammo capability) and the rocket launcher and plasma rifle(can't remember if there's a bfg but i'm pretty sure there is).

Anyway I highly recommend this little gem hidden in the archives.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

*Best*

But not a "megamap". Unless you meant "megacrap".

I consider this to be something of a megamap. It had 1000 something monsters on UV and it took me about an hour and a half maybe to finish. It's really good looking for entirely stock resources. Not a slaughtermap either.

Dunno whats considered a "mega" map and whats not, but XXXI Cybersky by Eternal is really big and awesome. Highly recommended.

I was always partial to "The Hills Have Eyes" and "Booby Traps". Of course the problem here is that these are C&C: Red Alert "Megamaps" and won't work in Doom.

On a serious note though, there was some giant map I remember being set in some underwater base or something. Of course this was years ago so I don't remember any of the details, not even the name, but perhaps someone else here might.

Figured Memfis would beat me to the punch in posting this (since he did last time)

Hellrun for Doom2 (1996)

Maybe a little tame by today's standards (don't get too complacent though!) One of the earliest examples of a "mega map" I can find, and of course an all-time favorite. This is one of the most replayable maps, to me at least, as there are so many little nooks and crannies to explore.

BaronOfStuff said:

I was always partial to "The Hills Have Eyes" and "Booby Traps". Of course the problem here is that these are C&C: Red Alert "Megamaps" and won't work in Doom.

On a serious note though, there was some giant map I remember being set in some underwater base or something. Of course this was years ago so I don't remember any of the details, not even the name, but perhaps someone else here might.

Ha, high five, I remember those maps, and knew you mean RA before I read RA in the post :)

BaronOfStuff said:

Object 34: sonar, by Lainos

Memorial is a megamap I guess. It's basically all of the 32 maps of the Doom 2 IWAD put into a single map. I personally enjoyed it.

Voltcom9 said:

That's great, thanks. I'm interested in how they deal with the use of keys in each map.

Your avatar seems very fishy *cough*SavageCorona*cough*.

Voltcom9 said:

It's Dr.Quark from Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger. Both of our avatars are bosses from that game.

Ahh...I see
Wolfenstein fan huh.
No offense.