Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Do you replay wads?

We often hear talks about how replayability is a good thing but do people actually replay wads? Soon there will be 20.000 files on the /idgames archive. You'll probably never run out of new stuff to play unless you're really dedicated. Do you replay wads anyway?

If the wad is short I can run through it several times, like doom 2, zone 300, 100 lines traditional, demonfear, TVR, etc.

As an extremely dedicated (read: autistic) speedrunner, I exclusively play maps that I have already played.

However, casually speaking I probably won't touch anything I've already played again as I don't see the point in it.

Yes, I do, especially if they have beautiful design, addictive gameplay, and a high fun factor. Wads like Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta, Requiem, and the Memento Mori duology are examples of wads with all those aspects.

Generally, no. I view the game differently to most, so once the initial exploration and wonder is gone, theres nothing to really experience anymore. Some older wads get replayed, as the difficulty isnt modern "fuck you and your whole generation" and thus enjoyable enough to replay, and this is only really to remind myself of whatever good memories I had of them.

When there are high monster counts and high difficulty, especially when they are frequent, then no. But if I can glide through most of them easily enough then I can replay the wad like if it was the vanilla dooms.

This is actually a good example why I'm not into slaughtermaps. It feels more stressful and time consuming so by the time I've completed the level I'm totally over Doom for a while. What I like are Wads with trash mobs as buffers between the clever challenges and traps.

Pretty much nope. I prefer to try new wads. Actually with the megawad club I ended to replay some wads, but that's because it's pretty cool to write your thoughts and to read other people ones. On my own I just replayed only my favourites (like 5-6 wads).

I've found that, while playing a level, if I notice something that reminds me of one of my favourite levels, then I go and play that level instead of continuing =P I revisit ALT.wad to a fairly obsessive degree, along with select maps from Eternal Doom, Epic 2, D2RELOAD, BTSX, TNT, Sacrament, etc. not at all interested in playing levels just to say I've beaten them.

I guess I'm a listmaker, tend to remember individual levels rather than megawads... where someone else might recommend Alien Vendetta automatically I might recommend Alien Vendetta, Map 08 :D

Replay 95%, play new wads 5%. I was wondering why (or: to who) people still release maps if no-one plays them. Now I see these posts above me and I realize most of the players are the opposite.

I prefer to play wads I like. I don't care if I've played it before, so long as I enjoyed it then. Playing new wads is a mixed bag of nuts; sometimes it's a waste of time and sometimes it pays off and you find something you like, but if I want a guaranteed good time I'm playing a wad I've played before.

Yes. Especially in multiplayer coop. We replay AV, SoD, Resurgence, HR, HR2, Scythe 1, Scythe 2, Plutonia, PL2, PRCP all the time. Played most of these wads at least 6 times from start to finish by now. AV probably around 15 times.

I'll replay good wads to get 100% or to take inspiration from multiple plays (usually combat related, though occasionally architecture as well).

Hell yeah. While there is pretty much an endless supply of new stuff, I always revisit certain classics, either because they have some unique and special design quality and atmosphere or a particular type of challenge that I enjoy. Or both.

I think the wads I have replayed most are AV, scythe 2, c-shock 1/2, deus vult 1/2 and speed of doom, but there are plenty of others that I have gone through a few times, not including ones I have been involved with of course.

Yes, a lot. But the mapset need to have some appeal for this. There is a lot of wads on idgames, but only a few of them are replayable.

If something really sticks out as fun to me, I will definitely replay it. If it's just "eh, pretty good" or below in terms of gameplay and memorable layouts, I am less likely to replay it.

Yep, I definitely replay stuff that I enjoyed or that otherwise made an impression on the first-go round (not even counting DWMC playthroughs, that is). There's a lot out there, of course, and so it's more accurate to say there are many WADs I've played a handful of times apiece as opposed to a handful of WADs I've played dozens and dozens of times, but I suppose as long as I keep drawing breath there will someday be many WADs I've played to death.

One point, though, is that I am vastly more likely to revisit megaWADs/mapsets than single maps, unless the single map in question is quite a substantial affair on its own, which in turn rules out the vast majority of the 20,000 WADs up for potential replay that you mentioned.

I often find myself replaying certain wads just to fully play trough them, since I just play up to 7 - 12 maps. Oh well.

Xaser said:

I replay my own wads a bunch. D:

Lol me too...

*Looks around* Hey wait, I'm talking about your wads