Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

nxGangrel said:

I felt like this thread needed to be bumped. Here's a small update on my part.
I'm half way done with map 13 and made a bit of map 15. I don't know when either will be finished.

Map 13 will have its own textures and fitting track to go with it.
Here's a few screenshots of map 13:
http://i.imgur.com/CNLcWwL.png
http://i.imgur.com/BGLqUX4.png

I'm gonna take a short break from these levels for a while to work on my own stuff. But these levels will be submitted soon.

Also looks great. I need to start my maps soon. I've been taking a break.

I'm so sorry about my absence of updates, I've currently completed about 20 ~ 25 % of map08 and SuperCupcakeTactics and I have agreed that our absence was really long, but I have been busy with school and helping remodel our house, my sister has been on my computer so I haven't been able to work on the maps for the past month or two, so I will get back to working on the maps with SuperCupcakeTactics ASAP, I'm really sorry.

Gustavo6046 said:

I hate spamming, I just want to know, my map is good??? I'm darn curious!

AD_79 wrote a review for you a few pages back.

Why not try to play MAP12 from Doom 2 and make a map that plays like it and maybe it will be accepted. Don't copy it exactly but try to recreate the same feel and atmosphere, that would have a better chance to be accepted.

So I playtested nxGangrel's second map. That was pretty damn fun. You gotta grab the berserk pack quick otherwise you are kind of fucked lol. This map uses a lot of chaingunners like the original, which I liked. Another thing that reminds me of the original is how this map is broken up into 4 areas. There isn't much else to say. No complaints here. I'd say its fine as it is. BTW the texturing was great!

I playtested Trace's Barrels of fun map. This one was pretty tough from a pistol start. There is barely enough ammo at the beginning. I liked it though. For some reason it reminded me of a Doom64 map style. The barrels were used in neat ways here. The last fight with the Cyber wasn't too bad either. The architecture was nice as well. The exit wall looked cheesy but I'm guessing it's like that because MAP24 isn't done yet. Also I would like at least one secret in the map. (like a BFG or SSG secret would be great)

One more thing:

My OCD was aching for a realignment on these brick walls, it just looks bad how the bricks aren't matching up.

Here's some of my progress to monster condo. It's gonna be harder than I thought. The original has A LOT of empty spaces so I'm trying to recapture that feel without falling asleep. This map is going to rely heavily on monster closets like the original.

Hey-o!

I'd be interested in (as there are no others left) to remake the "MAP12 - The Factory".

No Doom maps haven been released from me before, although I have 16-map campaign planned, in progress and most-likely coming some day. I do have some experience on level design though (https://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/ or Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sotapoika/myworkshopfiles/), so I'm not really a rookie on the subject (besides the fact that I have no DooM maps released).

So, what do I need? I have GZDoom Builder (which can be setup for Boom I assume) and obviously I have the games.

SotaPoika said:

Hey-o!

I'd be interested in (as there are no others left) to remake the "MAP12 - The Factory".

No Doom maps haven been released from me before, although I have 16-map campaign planned, in progress and most-likely coming some day. I do have some experience on level design though (https://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/ or Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sotapoika/myworkshopfiles/), so I'm not really a rookie on the subject (besides the fact that I have no DooM maps released).

So, what do I need? I have GZDoom Builder (which can be setup for Boom I assume) and obviously I have the games.

Awesome! All you need is boom compatible, the feel of the origninal map and (hopefully) a badass theme to go along with the map.

@TraceOfSpades,

Could you add me to the list for the "MAP12 - The Factory"?

Got some ideas what I could do for the map. As the theme is quite generic (factory), I guess I have some freedom to take it towards something more specific. I was thinking of making it some sort of meat factory, to get some of those hanging corpses and stuff there, with blood-floors and all that. I want it to be bit darker in theme than what the original was.

Equipment I plan to keep the same (like, what all different weapons and power-ups can be found in the original level). Most likely same goes for the enemies, though I might add some new ones not found in the original level.

Layout will be quite different. Obviously, I'm going to try and keep the feel the same, but I want it to be bit more interesting for combat (as it's redux and it's year 2015) and with more exploring. I might add some extra secrets if that's okay for this project.

What kind of detailing is preferred? Something close to D2 style (more classic) or more towards Plutonia 1/2 (trims, columns, etc.)?

SotaPoika said:

What kind of detailing is preferred? Something close to D2 style (more classic) or more towards Plutonia 1/2 (trims, columns, etc.)?

I would say, detail in what fits best for your vision of the level. If you think it looks/plays better in a classic style, or if it would be better in another. Since this is a "limit removing" project, anything goes. You can make the level as detailed as you want (if need be).

What I usually do is just go with what comes to mind, I focus on what I want the level to look like and style. The results can very in how it's detailed.

Besides, I think I can't make much, I want to unsign the project, I make my own maps in UDMF because I make what I want for my own enjoyment. Like other people suggested.
- Also for other people's enjoyment when I release such maps here.

His last post was on Wednesday... not that long ago really.

Might have my map ready tomorrow :)

I played map 27... my main gripe is the inescapable pits right at the start. The map generally felt like it was in the right ball park though. Easy to get overwhelmed without taking care.

Hey nxGangrel and Doomkid,

Any chance I could get screenshots and/or overview of the exits/starts of your maps (MAP11 and MAP13) so I know to reserve some space for them to recreate those areas for my map (MAP12).

SotaPoika said:

Any chance I could get screenshots and/or overview of the exits/starts of your maps (MAP11 and MAP13) so I know to reserve some space for them to recreate those areas for my map (MAP12).

Sure, no problem.

So my level is basically a large city, half way surrounded by ocean. (Kinda like the second sky/background in Doom 2). At the start of the level you start in front of a small boat, on a dock.

Here's what it looks like in Doom builder:

The idea was the player took a boat from the end of map 12 to the start of map 13. But I wanted to leave the end of map 12 to the creativity of the mapper, as long as that boat was there.

If you want, I can give you the WIP map if you want to copy and paste, or take a closer look at the boat.

SotaPoika said:

I think Trace wants to incorporate death exits per episode. Since the factory is the first city map, you can just create the beginning how you want.

nxGangrel said:

Sure, no problem.

So my level is basically a large city, half way surrounded by ocean. (Kinda like the second sky/background in Doom 2). At the start of the level you start in front of a small boat, on a dock.
[IMG]
[IMG]
Here's what it looks like in Doom builder:
[IMG]

The idea was the player took a boat from the end of map 12 to the start of map 13. But I wanted to leave the end of map 12 to the creativity of the mapper, as long as that boat was there.

If you want, I can give you the WIP map if you want to copy and paste, or take a closer look at the boat.

That seems quite an elaborate way of having an exit (detail/theme wise I mean, for simple-tech like Doom), but I doubt it's necessarily a problem really. I'll see what I can come up with. Hopefully tomorrow I have the map playable in basic form and then I can start the art-pass on it.

Tactical Stiffy said:

I think Trace wants to incorporate death exits per episode. Since the factory is the first city map, you can just create the beginning how you want.

Alright, I'll come up with a starting-area of my own then. Gonna make it less boring than the original one, that's for sure. :)

Holy shit. Sorry guys. I didn't get notified about any of this. I came by to bump it. The screens look great! I'll read what I've missed since I "died". Haha

As far as the death exits though, just two are needed. When you first go to Hell, and when you go to the icon of sin.

Tactical Stiffy said:

I playtested Trace's Barrels of fun map. This one was pretty tough from a pistol start. There is barely enough ammo at the beginning. I liked it though. For some reason it reminded me of a Doom64 map style. The barrels were used in neat ways here. The last fight with the Cyber wasn't too bad either. The architecture was nice as well. The exit wall looked cheesy but I'm guessing it's like that because MAP24 isn't done yet. Also I would like at least one secret in the map. (like a BFG or SSG secret would be great)

One more thing:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/dylan_jarvis1/Screenshot_Doom_20151111_205212_zpsa2czavzs.png

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/dylan_jarvis1/Screenshot_Doom_20151111_205217_zpssocilqlu.png

My OCD was aching for a realignment on these brick walls, it just looks bad how the bricks aren't matching up.

Finally someone playtested it. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And believe me, I am well aware of the texture alignment issues around the map. I had no intention of leaving those there for the final release. Thank you for your insight!