Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Where's the pistol?

The Chaingun was mostly useful for enemies with a high pain chance or for sniping from farther away, the Super Shotgun was the more all around weapon in my experience, using the single barrel for weaker prey.

If they add a pistol it has to be some DooM Style esque M1911A1 successor (i.e M2111)

Pistol
Starting Rounds: 20-30 (Max: 300-350, 600-700 with Backpack?)
Damage: 70-90 (.45 ACP) can kill other marines, and zombiemen in one hit to the head and chest
High Accuracy
Average ROF (1 round per minute)
Average Recoil
Decent Range
Bonus: Has A Flashlight!

Starting Weapon, ineffective against anything stronger than a zombie man.

And that's if:

- The Shotgun is the starting weapon and/or weak weapon
- The Pistol isn't a weakling starter weapon useless after you get the SMG.

The Desert Eagle (or some futuristic high power weapon) could be a secondary successor

Hand Cannon
Rounds: Shared with Pistol
Damage: 120-150 (Assuming that the Rocket Launcher would deal 500 damage, and the Barons/Hell Knights would have 2000 health)
Meh Accuracy
Low ROF
High Recoil
Higher-than average Range
Mod: Switch Ammunition to fire explosive shots (deal bonus damage (x2-3) but increased alert range)

later game weapon (pre-rocket launcher) can kill Pinkies in 2 shots (if pinkies return)

or a Burst Fire Pistol

Machine Pistol (PDW version of the Pistol)
Rounds: Shared with Pistol
Damage: 70-90x3
Extreme Accuracy
Burst ROF (3 shots per second)
Higher than Average Recoil
Average Range
Mod: Add A select fire module, allowing to switch between single, burst and auto; Auto has more recoil and less accuracy, single less recoil but more accuracy)

Really Late game weapon but before BFG-9000

It really depends though if it was a longish game (8-12+ for casuals, like DooM 3)then there would be no point for anything, other than just the pistol and base guns.

When People were talking about Sniper Rifles and fists etc, I may also suggest some sort of flamethrower, a very DooM fitting weapon, unless the Geneva Conventions apply to space.

I'd like to point out that everyone saying "the pistol was pointless in Doom because you got the shotgun almost immediately" is looking at this completely wrong. When the game first came out, you didn't have 22 years of accumulated experience and knowledge of every nook and cranny of the opening maps.

When I first started playing Doom I was only 9 years old and it was my first FPS. I didn't know what strafing was, I didn't know the layout of the levels, I was creeping around corners like a bitch because I was only allowed to play games at night when my homework was done, and I was of course playing on ITYTD. I didn't blow through the first map like I was speedrunning and prophetically run straight into the shotgun secret. There's no sergeants in E1M1 unless you played on UV your first time and unless you knew where the shotgun secret was the very first time you played it by putting the game box to your head and deducing it through osmosis, the first reasonably obvious place you'll find it isn't until the beginning of E1M2. Even that could potentially be missed if you're not used to FPS, didn't know how expansive and exploratory the maps were, and taking into account with the resolution back then vision wasn't the best. If you missed that one, there aren't any sergeants in E1M2 on lower difficulties, so you wouldn't be guaranteed to get it until E1M3.

My point is, in 1993, you could easily go for a lot more than "30 seconds" without getting a shotgun. When you were new the game, the pistol definitely had it's place, and for me it made the game scarier because even imps could take down my sorry ass. Now, if you were a Doom god the very first time you played the game, feel free to dismiss my experiences, but for the rest of us mere mortals who were kids and played the game when it first came out, I'm sure I wasn't the only one who made thorough use of the pistol in the early levels. And for the record, one of the ways I've kept the game fresh in recent years is to try beating every stock level from a pistol start. Maybe I'm the only one who has ever pistol started a map besides E1M1, but that's fine with me. I feel a lot of people's expectations and memories are a little corrupted by time. Personally one reason why Doom 3 being so "OMG SLOOOOWWWW" never bothered me, because when I first played the original Doom I was slow, so it reminded me of my actual early Doom experience and not a rosey fictionalized version of it. Personally I hope the new game starts you out with just a pistol. A story isn't that hard to come up with: Marines don't LIVE with their weapons at a regular duty station, they get issued them from the armory when they start their shift. You were off duty when the shit went down so boom you're stuck with just a pistol you had on you in the barracks.

Ok rant over.

This also kindof goes along with something I talked about earlier.

I don't think of doom as a game where you "Move very fast". To me it's a game about being a badass space marine who survives through overwhelming odds somehow. I personally don't even play the game by running around like it's a twin stick shooter and blasting away at enemies. I carefully tread through the corridors and check my corners and blast away at enemies while taking cover while my shotgun gets reloaded. And if I run into a room full of zombies I'll take out my chaingun, blast away at a bunch of them, take cover to make sure I don't take any hits, then come out from cover again. It would break immersion for me in a way if I played it more like a mindless twinstick shooter, if that makes any sense.

I too was a kid at the time when I first played it. I used keyboard only, didn't strafe, and moved slowly. I think one of the things I really liked about doom was the combination of exploring, and different guns that worked well depending on a certain situation, etc... I definitely wouldn't have gotten into doom like I did if it was simply a mindless shooter about killing waves and waves of monsters. It's the reason I'm not a huge fan of slaughter maps, and games like serious sam or painkiller. It's also why a lot of modern shooters bore me with their extremely linear and scripted level design.

All that stuff about moving incredibly fast is emergent gameplay that came from years of people playing the game and becoming incredibly good at it. It's entirely possible that DooM could have been a game played for a few years and then forgotten as newer better games came out. There might not even have been a doom community. Anyone randomly playing doom for the first time would probably play it slowly initially. I seriously doubt they were thinking too carefully at the time about half the things that are known as common knowledge to the hardcore doom gamers.

The pistol? Oh simple.
Doom 1- Doomguy was stuck with it because his friends took all the shotguns
Doom 2- Doomguy still kept it for emergencies and lost it
Doom 3- The guards give one to Doomguy for protection on the lamest job on Mars
Doom 4- Doomguy won't show it to us or threw it away after realising he can carry the new BFG

Who knows? Let's wait till Feburary 2016 and see some professional gameplay videos on youtube or get Doom ourselves.

RobotJoe said:

looks like the repeater might potentially be a pistol replacement?

Possibly, It looks pretty badass.

tourettes said:

This game is going to have to be heavily modded to feel anything like a Doom game.

Can you possibly be more vague than that?

tourettes said:

This game is going to have to be heavily modded to feel anything like a Doom game.

This is a Doom game. Says right there on the title screen.

I don't know if it was mentioned here yet before, but the purpose of the pistol in doom is to broaden the scale of badness for all the weapons. Having a pistol in Doom 4 but also making it beefed up by firing heavier rounds, or burst fire or giving it a sniper scope is pointless. Its just adding un-needed weapons.

You don't realize how sturdy a pickup truck is until you've tried to tow a trailer over a dirt mountain.

When you start with a shotgun, it makes all better weapons less of a step up because your already durable shotgun is the weakest weapon you have. This us why games like quake and heretic seem like their weapons suck.

40oz said:

I don't know if it was mentioned here yet before, but the purpose of the pistol in doom is to broaden the scale of badness for all the weapons. Having a pistol in Doom 4 but also making it beefed up by firing heavier rounds, or burst fire or giving it a sniper scope is pointless. Its just adding un-needed weapons.

You don't realize how sturdy a pickup truck is until you've tried to tow a trailer over a dirt mountain.

When you start with a shotgun, it makes all better weapons less of a step up because your already durable shotgun is the weakest weapon you have. This us why games like quake and heretic seem like their weapons suck.

Maybe the Repeater will be In the main game? I should stop guessing shit and be hyped for this.

40oz said:

A valid point but it still shouldn't be completely useless. I think the Repeater is an awesome replacement. And bear in mind that you won't get the alt-fire modes from the get go. You have to find the upgrades. So in the beginning it should be weak and it gets progressively better but not super great.

Pistol was useless unless you were fighting a single imp - which was very rare unless you play wimpy mode.

I say the Shotgun would be a good starting weapon.

I would also like to see a SMG, Assault Rifle and Chaingun as well.

40oz said:

Having a really weak pistol purely to make the others "feel" stronger would also be adding un-needed weapons.

According to the singleplayer gameplay videos, the shotgun fires noticably faster than the classic Doom shotgun, but also seems a lot weaker (like the regular shotgun in Quake).

The game also gives you a Heavy Assault Rifle and a Chaingun (which does not have a firing delay, although it fires slowly until it gets going) - I'm having a hard time seeing what niche a pistol would fill in all this, since the Heavy Assult Rifle seems to have long-range accuracy covered, as well as being a rapid fire weapon, while the shotgun has an almost similar-to-pistol firing rate and has slightly more firepower.

Unless they add a pistol as a weak little starting weapon that you'll stop using as soon as you get the Heavy Assault Rifle, which I can't see the point of in this day and age.

Based on what I've seen, I'm guessing the pistol is out of the picture.

The Heavy Assault Rifle seems to replace the classic Chaingun. The new Chaingun seems to be a later weapon in this game.

I always thought the pistol to be a very handy and useful tool. like say your running low on a weapon your using, all you have to do is pull your pistol out and just finish the enemy off with it, and you usually have plenty of ammunition with it too.

Except it uses the same ammo as the chaingun, so if the enemy really has that few of health left it's probably better to just punch the shit out of them.

Welp, I was wrong. They indeed brought back the pistol. Looks awesome too, I'm glad they did.

Still don't understand you people want the New Doom to be Fast and you're looking for such Weapon that is just going to Make the game feel slower .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Still don't understand you people want the New Doom to be Fast and you're looking for such Weapon that is just going to Make the game feel slower .

It's called weapon variety. I for one think it's a good thing.