Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

Double 3d floors

Is it possible, example water for 3d bridge. I'm making a bridge, theres 3d floor water. I want to add a part of it, it will be 3d too. will that work??

ninja edit heha :

BaronOfStuff said:

What.

um you don't get it? okay ill explain.

you know those cool bridges irl they have cool shit in them.. i wanna remake one of these in doom, but there's water at the botton, water uses 3d floors. the bridge is gonna be made with 3d floors. Now my question is, How many 3d floors can there be in a sector????

riki2321 said:

How many 3d floors can there be in a sector????

How high can you count? (Or rather "how high can your PC count" would be more technically accurate.)

Edward850 said:

How high can you count? (Or rather "how high can your PC count" would be more technically accurate.)

hehe, i guess 20 ??

riki2321 said:

um you don't get it? okay ill explain.

you know those cool bridges irl they have cool shit in them.. i wanna remake one of these in doom, but there's water at the botton, water uses 3d floors. the bridge is gonna be made with 3d floors. Now my question is, How many 3d floors can there be in a sector????

Oh. Well it's as many as your PC can handle before it shits out and explodes.

Also probably some limit within the game engine itself at some point, which is far higher than any current system is capable of handling anyway.

Make the sector where the bridge will be have a new tag. Then go to the dummy sector for the water, and make another one of its lines have a 3D floor action that references the tag of the sector where the bridge should be. Then make a new 3D floor that will make up the bridge. That's the hard way of doing it.

If you have GZDoom Builder and UDMF, you can just make a new 3D floor for the bridge, reference a new, unused tag, and then use multi tags. You use multi tags by right clicking the sector where the bridge will be, clicking the big green plus sign, and then putting into the "tag 2" bar the tag number the bridge 3D floor references.

Or if you have the GZDoom Builder 3D Floor plugin you can just right click the sector, press "add a new 3D floor", and then set it to how you want.

BaronOfStuff said:

Oh. Well it's as many as your PC can handle before it shits out and explodes.

Also probably some limit within the game engine itself at some point, which is far higher than any current system is capable of handling anyway.

OpenGL for the win! I'd just go with 10 3d floors, but who uses that many lol..

The more 3Dfloors you have in a sector, the longer Z collisions will take and the more either renderer will need to draw. Of course the software renderer will draw slower due to overdraw, but the hardware renderer can't occlude anything either.
Eventually you'll run into a point where walking into the sector alone will cause a significant performance impact from trying to find out which extra floor you can collide with (and everything else that may exist in it), assuming the renderer doesn't buckle over first.

You can have a potentially infinite amount as you'll run into memory and physical space limitations long beforehand, but that doesn't mean you can actually have as many as you want.

riki2321 said:

Now my question is, How many 3d floors can there be in a sector????

In the following shot, I have two bridges over a 3D water sector, and both bridges are made of multiple 3D sectors. I only use a crappy laptop, and everything seems to run fine, so I'd say you could stack plenty of 3D sectors before your PC starts complaining about it.

From what i understood you're trying to create a 3D Floor above another 3D Floor (bridge over water)
- Create a dummy sector for the new 3D Floor and give it the same tag as the previous one (That you used for water) .
Just pay attention to tagging, if you're about to make a bridge at only 1 sector and don't want it to be over all the water make sure to create a separate dummy 3D Floor sector and give it's control sidedef the same tag you gave for the water sector's control sidedef under the bridge (Which must also use a separate dummy 3D Floor sector).

It's sorta complicated >_<

RaphaelMode said:

what is this fantastic new weapon though?

the white one? why do people keep asking lol (sorry if it sounds mean), it's an spammy gun

Dave The Daring said:

In the following shot, I have two bridges over a 3D water sector, and both bridges are made of multiple 3D sectors. I only use a crappy laptop

cool.. i use a laptop too, but i don't use everytime my PC which has super cool procesor, my laptop has a 2.4 ghz core (4 of these), lol, bridges are so cool, making them is better. thanks guys!