Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spamclark15

Would The Real Plasma Rifle Stand Up

So I've watched every little bit of footage of the game I can get my hands on, and I've noticed something strange: different videos feature a different plasma rifle design. What I'm wondering is which is the real one? Surely there can't be 2 plasma rifles in the game?

http://i.imgur.com/oq6jD3W.jpg?2

I was going to suggest the one on the left was just the new heavy machinegun, but after watching the E3 video to make sure, its not.
The one on the right is from E3, where is the left one from?

Dude, where did you see that rifle in the left one?

I like the right one cause its thinner and has this small screen.

The other rifle reminds me of a BFG for some reason...

Wait...

There was supposed to be an upgrade system, so its possible that the left one is an older version and the right one is an upgraded version... and vice versa.

Seriously, where did you find that left pic?

The gameplay trailer and closed alpha trailer show the plasma model on the left. The footage shown at E3, both single-player and the brief multiplayer clips, use the model on the right. I like the one on the right a lot more so it leaves me curious which is currently the in-use plasma.

Pretty sure the one on the left is currently in use. Hopefully I'm right because the bulky industrial look fits better IMO.

As someone who played the MP alpha, I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm pretty sure the left one is an older, outdated model, and you might be disappointed if you liked that one more.

DooM_RO said:

I think the new one is better.

That's the question I think is which one is the new one?

AirRaid said:

As someone who played the MP alpha, I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm pretty sure the left one is an older, outdated model, and you might be disappointed if you liked that one more.

Which model was featured in the MP alpha? I know id released a video but I'm curious what it looked like for people who actually played it.

I like that the new one is not unnecessarily bulky.

It also shows that Id are still willing to modify models. Perhaps a new version of the Cyberdemon is not out of the question?

DooM_RO said:

It also shows that Id are still willing to modify models. Perhaps a new version of the Cyberdemon is not out of the question?

im fine with the new Cyberdemon. It fits Doom 4.

I actually really like the new Cyberdemon.

I'm waiting for another video of the gameplay from id as I'm hoping that would confirm which one they're going with as the videos so far there doesn't seem to be any indication of the age of the game footage so it's hard to tell what's old and what's new.

Someone who played the alpha could identify which of the two was in that.

I'm hoping they go with the one on the right, the one they showed at E3, as it's a slicker design IMHO.

Plasmagun on the left looks better imo. Seems meaner, bigger and more ballsy. More manly and menacing! Oh baby!

DooM_RO said:

I loved the original bulky nature of the classic plasma rifle. The new ones in both D3 and D2016 seem too clean and refined to me. In the end they all seem to have about the same damage output but the original was faster and louder and overall dirtier feeling; the new one feels like I'm playing with a Fisher Price toy. But that secondary fire, well, it's nice.

Both versions of the model look good though, for different reasons. If I had to pick I'd say the right one simply because it's a bit more refined looking and I like the color gray. Heh.

Johnatone said:

I loved the original bulky nature of the classic plasma rifle. The new ones in both D3 and D2016 seem too clean and refined to me.

I absolutely agree with this. I would rather have a dirtier clunky plasma rifle that looks like a crudely constructed badass killing machine than something clean and shiny. The plasma rifle from the original Doom definitely had that intimidating rough feel and sound to it. Something more like this:

left one is in E3 gameplay trailer AND the multiplayer closed alpha... the one on right was in the demos shown at E3.

As to why they're different... I think there could be two reasons. Reason 1) they changed the gun so it looks a bit different now, B) they changed the field of view a lot... Like from 95 to 80 or something so now the gun looks smaller and more zoomed in. I think the little extra attachment on the guns wasn't shown at E3 (like the E3 singleplayer rocket launcher didn't have that ammo counter thing on it, but if you watch the closed alpha multiplayer gameplay, you can see it there).

it just means that the game's still being worked on

sleepii said:

left one is in E3 gameplay trailer AND the multiplayer closed alpha... the one on right was in the demos shown at E3.

As to why they're different... I think there could be two reasons. Reason 1) they changed the gun so it looks a bit different now, B) they changed the field of view a lot... Like from 95 to 80 or something so now the gun looks smaller and more zoomed in. I think the little extra attachment on the guns wasn't shown at E3 (like the E3 singleplayer rocket launcher didn't have that ammo counter thing on it, but if you watch the closed alpha multiplayer gameplay, you can see it there).

it just means that the game's still being worked on

The issue is that it's not clear how old the gameplay trailer footage is versus the E3 presentation versus the alpha trailer. It's possible that the alpha trailer footage is actually older than what people who got to play the alpha actually experienced. That's why I think someone who actually played it could point to which one's in use. Another trailer would be useful but I suspect there won't be another one for a while although by that point the answer should be clear.

The gameplay trailer, closed alpha trailer and the actual closed alpha gameplay had the same plasma gun while the E3 demo presentation had a different plasma gun, don't know which one is newer. What I noticed at the E3 demo plasma gun is that it has a meter on its little display which is increasing when firing, it could be a heat meter.

Piper Maru said:

I think they both look great, futuristic and sleek just the way a plasma gun should be.

It's interesting because the original Doom plasma weapons always struck me as being bulky and crude. Not sure what's "sleek" about these or why a plasma gun "should" be sleek. The theme of big mean weaponry has always been a defining feature of Doom, for me at least.

Piper Maru said:

All righty than, make the plasma gun clunky and bulky. Disregard my earlier post!

It would be a nice contrast to the cliché of laser guns overcrowding FPS shooters today. I mean the proposed E3 plasma rifles look like every single other plasma gun ever. I take one look at that and I feel like I could be looking at Halo or any other sci-fi shooter for that matter. Some unique artistic direction wouldn't hurt the game any.

sleepii said:

I'm 99% sure this is wrong, and the right hand one was in the MP alpha.

That's the gun on the right. Or very close to it, looks like there's a couple of minor changes.

It does look basically identical to the one on that lobby screen... Strange that what was shown in the alpha MP video was not this mesh?

Here is what the alpha MP video mesh looks like.