Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

"SL GARRITY" engraved on Doom Reaper Pewters?

Just received my complete '96 collection of the DOOM pewter's, seems a mixed batch (as in a set built out of random '96 pieces over the years) due to discoloration of the tin/lead of some pieces, and not others (though its my understanding that all pieces will eventually turn black due to the nature of the pewter).

HOWEVER, on one of the pieces, the arachnatron, there's a engraved signature in the bottom that says "SL GARRITY", and a quick google search shows that's one of the original reaper team sculptors (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/List_of_Miniatures)

Is that common signature, or commonly seen on these pewters, or is this one unique? Don't seem to notice any signatures on any other pieces (nor reaper pieces I've had in the past)

Just curious

I don't have any info, but I have always wanted those little pewter figurines, they look so damn cool.

Buckshot said:

Is that common signature, or commonly seen on these pewters, or is this one unique? Don't seem to notice any signatures on any other pieces (nor reaper pieces I've had in the past)

Not sure that I'd call them "signatures", but on the other `96 pieces you'll find the artists name (and sometimes the year) engraved in the edge of the base. They were removed from the later castings.

GreyGhost said:

Not sure that I'd call them "signatures", but on the other `96 pieces you'll find the artists name (and sometimes the year) engraved in the edge of the base. They were removed from the later castings.

ahh, so just a common engraving of the sculptors, not specific other than perhaps the original 96 early bathes. Hmmm... just strange as I've had otherm '96 pieces in the past, and either never noticed that or it didn't have it. The remainder of my current 96 set, the arachnotron is the only one that has that marking.

Mine is not a '96 piece, but I can confirm at the very least that the ones they sent out with Doom 3 do not have any signature on them.

Now that we know those are early and more likely rare, that creates a new value tier in the market. They should be worth a little more, maybe not a lot, but a little.

Still on the fence about getting mine professionally painted. I have a buddy who does miniature detailing (and he does damn good work) and he offered to do my set for free... but I dunno. Gonna have to mull it over, as I kind of admire the withered and cold look of pewter as it ages.

Yeah, mine's likely not worth the pewter it may or may not be made of. Buckshot's on the other hand... I'm a bit jealous heh.

That's a tough predicament buckshot. Won't painting them destroy some of their value?

Fonze said:

Yeah, mine's likely not worth the pewter it may or may not be made of. Buckshot's on the other hand... I'm a bit jealous heh.

That's a tough predicament buckshot. Won't painting them destroy some of their value?

Probably since it is not like old cars which look like new using newer metals and materials.

Just did a GIS for aged pewter Doom figurines. I really like how they resemble ashy onyx ad they get older - it fits the style well. Leaving them to age gracefully versus painting them is like restoring a barnfind car. They almost always look better with their original character intact.

I had an Arachnotron from the '96 pressings, bought in 2000, and I do not recall that engraving on it. However, I sold it and don't have it anymore, and the pics I took before I sold it don't include a rear view unfortunately. I could ask the buyer to get in touch with you if you want.

Technician said:

SL GARRITY sounds like a FLAT name.

Heh, it kinda does. Thought it sounded like some potential wad data the first time I heard it too.

Though, the sculptors name is Sandra Garrity, who apparently did majority of the major designs for the DOOM pewter set (9 of them), including all the bigger monsters.