Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

It's funny how most of us started playing the game as toddlers. I first played it in 1995 as a 5 year old. My mom showed it to me when we bought our first PC. lol

We have some hip parents.

ChickenOrBeef said:

It's funny how most of us started playing the game as toddlers. I first played it in 1995 as a 5 year old. My mom showed it to me when we bought our first PC. lol

We have some hip parents.

That's pretty much my life story. My first ever video game was Doom on SNES. My dad was an awesome dude for letting me play it. At that age I didn't really know what a video game was, so it gave me a good opportunity to interact with the controls and see what they did.

Without any context as to it being first-person, or knowing what a pistol was, as a kid, I always imagined the pistol was the helmet of the dude you were playing as. I knew for some weird reason whenever I pressed that one button, the guy's head would explode in a humorous cartoon-like fashion.

Fortunately my Dad also had the PC version of Doom/2 so when I became a little older I could play and enjoy that. Of course for the longest time I only ever played on the easy difficulties with cheats because the game was too scary otherwise, lol.

1994. My neighbor had Wolfenstein 3D shareware on his PC and I'd often go over there to play. One day he had Doom's first episode. I remember being super creeped out and even a little upset by the hellish vibes (I was still under my very religious mother's influence at the time.) But that only served to suck me in. I spent most of the summer playing it.

Figured I'd mention - I was introduced to both wolf3D and Doom around the same time, and I have a very vivid memory of my dad laughing his ass off at the baby BJ on the "Can I play, daddy?" difficulty. I assume he thought it was funny because that was basically representative of me at that age, I would literally ask him to play regularly since I was a child, before I was 'allowed' to use PCs on my own (That started when I was about 6.. My computing addiction is very long lived indeed..)

Around 1996/1997 (I was about seven), my first FPS experiences were Doom, Heretic and Blake Stone. And here I am, almost twenty years later, still playing the same games. I guess I'm not very good at moving on.

In fact: I just beat the registered version of Heretic, I'm pretty sure for the first time, about two weeks ago. I'm guess that must be some kind of personal record for "game that look me longest (in years, anyway) to beat"!

Or, as my forum title suggest, I'm only "warming up". :-)

PimPamPet said:

Around 1996/1997 (I was about seven), my first FPS experiences were Doom, Heretic and Blake Stone. And here I am, almost twenty years later, still playing the same games. I guess I'm not very good at moving on.

It's similar for me, actually; but hey, good art never loses its luster. One of my earliest memories is playing Bungie's Marathon, and I still occasionally have a good run with that one. :3

My parents showed it me when I was 3 or 4. I've been playing it with parents' assistance until our Pentium-100 PC refused to work. Holy crap, I had to live for about 5 years without Doom... In ~2010, parents decided to get unlimited internet connection and I discovered source ports. Damn, that was an incredible feeling when I played it aftrer that break.

PS: My father finished Plutonia using keyboard only. I wish he didn't give up playing Doom...

ClumsyDoomer said:

My parents showed it me when I was 3 or 4. I've been playing it with parents' assistance until our Pentium-100 PC refused to work. Holy crap, I had to live for about 5 years without Doom... In ~2010, parents decided to get unlimited internet connection and I discovered source ports. Damn, that was an incredible feeling when I played it aftrer that break.

PS: My father finished Plutonia using keyboard only. I wish he didn't give up playing Doom...

plutonia on keyboard ONLY? i salute you and your father...Plutonia...O.O

The Super Nintendo version. Which you couldn't save on for some reason. I'd played Doom a little bit on a friend's PC I think, or at least I was aware of Doom and had always wanted to play it, but didn't have a computer.

I don't remember exactly how I discovered Doom in the first place, but I do remember owning the game for the 32X, which I never played, but that port was crap anyways. I do remember seeing it various times as a child back then, such as when my uncle was playing the game. Finally playing the full game felt really good when I was grown up, but maybe I have played the game before when I was much younger, but I'm not too sure.

As a student, I really loved Wolfenstein 3D, and we all rushed to download the Doom shareware when it came out...

We've stayed whole nights playing games in the college's PC room... Wolf3D, Doom, Doom2, Descent, Syndicate... No time for homework !

My very first PC game I've ever played was Wolfenstein 3D, which was installed within my 386 PC back in 1994. A year later, I found an improved version of WOLF3D with textured floor and ceiling, lighting and height variations, and a chainsaw.

While other violent graphics didn't scare me much, watching the ending scene gave me a terrible nightmare for more than a week.

My brother was talking about old FPS games and told me about Doom 1 & 2. I got Doom 2 on Steam, but I don't remember when. I got into modding due to one of the news post on Steam was talking about this "Brutal Doom" mod. I checked it out, and suffice to say, I disliked it, but it got me into other mods, and I started making my own maps for the game.

When I was nine, my father told me there was a game I might like (shareware doom). I played it on windows 2000 I think, and it scared the absolute shit outta me. Specifically the maze in E1M4.

EDIT: The version I had also had different monster noises for some reason. I've never found out why that is.

nxGangrel said:

When I was nine, my father told me there was a game I might like (shareware doom). I played it on windows 2000 I think, and it scared the absolute shit outta me. Specifically the maze in E1M4.

EDIT: The version I had also had different monster noises for some reason. I've never found out why that is.

Possibly a pirated version. Or modded shareware. Maybe a different version of Doom.

Voros said:

Possibly a pirated version. Or modded shareware. Maybe a different version of Doom.

Could be. I remember E1m4 still had the swastika, I figured it was an older or altered version.
Regardless, I don't know where the copy came from.

nxGangrel said:

Could be. I remember E1m4 still had the swastika, I figured it was an older or altered version.
Regardless, I don't know where the copy came from.

Might have been 1.2 or earlier.

I was 8 years old when I first discovered Doom. My aunt and uncle used to have the game installed in their computers, and I enjoyed it. Eventually, I got my own copies of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and even Duke Nukem 3D at the age of 10. I played all those games ever since.

My cousin playing Doom 2 on PC circa '96. I remember we got stuck on Underhalls briefly until we figured out that we had to run across that gap.

I definitely remember the swastika room, though I knew it immediately as a Wolfenstein reference.

Mom was southern baptist, and dad was lutheran, so I grew up in a relatively conservative house as a kid, although the folks knew my brother and I were smart and mature enough to handle certain kinds of entertainment. But I was still on the fence about moral shit, so when Doom came out, and I first saw it in stores, I inched away from it. Eventually in 1995 I rented it for the SNES out of curiosity, back when Blockbuster Video was still a thing.

It blew my fragile little mind.

Later we were unfortunate enough to get a Sega 32X, and I played a less detailed, more violent version of Doom on that, but still liked the SNES version better because it had more content. Really dug the Playstation version for its more ambient take on the game. Eventually I played the games on a computer proper, once I finally understood computers enough to make software fucking operate. I'd still like a complete copy of Doom for the SNES, though, for nostalgia's sake.

I first was introduced by a strange version from Hong Kong (although on closer inspection was made in Canada XD) which i found in my dad's cd cupboard. The CD was for DOS but refused to work on european systems, so to this day it has not been used but this prompted me to buy it and then when i got it running I did not stop playing for the next month :).

In honor of DOOM's 23rd birthday today, I figured I'd make a double-feature thread. So here we go:

I had heard of DOOM prior to this, but the first time I ever played DOOM was when I rented DOOM 64 when it first came out. We got a Nintendo 64 the previous Christmas, and we literally rented every game that came out for it. Dad really liked the game compared to all the other stuff we rented. One day I came home from school, went up to my room, and Dad was in there on my bed in front of the TV. I see "You pick up a stimpack" on the screen, and then I see a DOOM 64 box open with its contents all over the bed. I now owned DOOM. I still have that same cartridge to this day, and I even dumped it to power DOOM 64 EX...

Then, for my 10th birthday in 1998, my Aunt gives me a little surprise: The Depths of DOOM Trilogy. I have to admit, I was initially thrown off by how DOOM I and II looked and sounded at first thanks to my experience with DOOM 64, but I eventually caught on to how great the games were, and still are today...