Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Eh, dem demons don't need horns

I think the more subtle direction the enemy design has taken is great. I remember in the Doom 3 days, being disappointed that there wasn't an overtly Satanic look to the monsters. Most of them aren't particularly devlish in Doom '16, and yet, they are some of the best designs of the series. id seems to have emphasized body horror a bit more this time around and the more I look at the gameplay footage, the more I'm liking it. There's this exposed flesh/bone thing going on, that's always been a part of Doom's look, that really stands out. I think at this point, we don't really need many centaur/goat/horned accents to sell them as Doom monsters. One thing I did like was that the cacodemon retained its signature spikes, which look a lot more menacing now.

It seems to me that the new Doom game is incorporating classic and new creature designs which is fine by me. From what we've seen some of them have horns and hooves while others are more subtle in their designs, but they're clearly all demons. I like the designs so far, and I am excited to see the rest of the monster designs. Especially the Arch-Vile, whom always reminded me of Pumpkinhead (1988).

All the demons in classic Doom are classics. They are like the base foundation of future demons. The new demons are fine for DOOM, as it is being recreated, not "let's take the '90s monsters and make them 3D"... there's a thread in Post Hell that was about a guy making Doom in 3D with the Unreal Engine...saw how bad it went?

Even Doom 3 achieved success with its intended gameplay, horror.
Horns was cool in the '90s but now, people think its unrealistic, so yeah.

id Software's Doom monsters always look great. And with the evolving technolgy, they took advantage of this, and now we have DOOM.

Even the imps look scary, with some spikes on the back and no eyes (I think).

Voros said:

All the demons in classic Doom are classics. They are like the base foundation of future demons. The new demons are fine for DOOM, as it is being recreated, not "let's take the '90s monsters and make them 3D"... there's a thread in Post Hell that was about a guy making Doom in 3D with the Unreal Engine...saw how bad it went?

Even Doom 3 achieved success with its intended gameplay, horror.
Horns was cool in the '90s but now, people think its unrealistic, so yeah.

id Software's Doom monsters always look great. And with the evolving technolgy, they took advantage of this, and now we have DOOM.

Even the imps look scary, with some spikes on the back and no eyes (I think).

I have to agree with this. Most classic Doom monsters weren't particularly demonic. The Imp, Former Humans, Revenant, Archvile could all have fit in any 90s FPS about aliens. Id are merely continuing the tradition.

Piper Maru said:

It seems to me that the new Doom game is incorporating classic and new creature designs which is fine by me. From what we've seen some of them have horns and hooves while others are more subtle in their designs, but they're clearly all demons. I like the designs so far, and I am excited to see the rest of the monster designs. Especially the Arch-Vile, whom always reminded me of Pumpkinhead (1988).

Considering that Pumpkinhead has an tail, It reminds me of the early design for the Arch In DOOM 3.

Damn, I forgot about that fucker. I hope Doom '16's archvile is as sinister looking. Come to think of it, we haven't seen it yet, have we?

GoatLord said:

Damn, I forgot about that fucker. I hope Doom '16's archvile is as sinister looking. Come to think of it, we haven't seen it yet, have we?

I hope it looks something SIMILAR to the original. Skinny, white-ish and at least a powered up and lethal attack. And maybe the resurrecting part also.

GoatLord said:

Come to think of it, we haven't seen it yet, have we?

I think the archvile should remain secret until the game releases. He's one of those few enemies that will genuinely scare the shit out of me on screen because of how dangerous they are. It will be even better if we don't know what to expect. Same with the spider mastermind. Keep those two a surprise!

Me too, I wanna shit myself when I hear the screech of the Archvile and when I first see the Mastermind. I dunno, I think I'd be more caution about the Pinky. Those fuckers look like they might be an even bigger threat, the Arch's In the same boat too.

Also, I wanna have him look like the picture I just put up In my post. It'll give him the chance to actually be extremely slick and sneaky as fuck.

So it looks like the lost souls, pain elementals, spider masterminds, archnotrons, archviles haven't been revealed yet, assuming they're going to be in the game (let's hope they are!). I somehow doubt there will be SS nazis, however.

something about the game kind of turned me off. Like it looks too... dark. let me dive into this a bit more so it makes sense what im saying. As you passed under certain doorways or areas on the map, it seemed like there wasn't any lighting that existed in that part of the map. It seemed like none of the demons seemed to have enough lighting on them. I noticed when the thunder struck in the Hell demo, they were much better visible. Maybe that's intentional or maybe it's just because the game's still in alpha. Either way I wish for the game to not be so dark all the time. Like quake 4 was kind of like that as well.

GoatLord said:

So it looks like the lost souls, pain elementals, spider masterminds, archnotrons, archviles haven't been revealed yet, assuming they're going to be in the game (let's hope they are!). I somehow doubt there will be SS nazis, however.

I would like If they'd keep the SS Nazis, as an secret of course. I honestly would love If they added In the Wolfenstein levels as an secret like In Wolfenstein: TNO.

Quasar said:

Think they will put Romero's head in there too?!?

I would be very happy and surprised If they did that. Praise the great Romero on the stick thing.

GoatLord said:

I doubt they're going to reveal the entire cast of meanies, they will just give enough to make us tremble. The rest will be hopefully a delightful surprise of terror when we finally get the final product.

Tritnew said:

Considering that Pumpkinhead has an tail, It reminds me of the early design for the Arch In DOOM 3.

Oh yeah, I remember that design. That is now the Vulgar from Resurrection of Evil, if I'm remembering things correctly. Its's such a strange and grotesque design, I wonder why they decided to scrap the idea. I like the Doom 3 Arch-Vile, it was reminiscent of it's original design, but the scrapped alternative for D3 was terrifying. Anyways, I'm really excited to see what they do with the new incarnation of the Vile in Doom 4. I hope they retain it's ability to resurrect fallen monsters, provided the player hasn't turned them all into shredded beef.

Piper Maru said:

Oh yeah, I remember that design. That is now the Vulgar from Resurrection of Evil, if I'm remembering things correctly. Its's such a strange and grotesque design, I wonder why they decided to scrap the idea. I like the Doom 3 Arch-Vile, it was reminiscent of it's original design, but the scrapped alternative for D3 was terrifying. Anyways, I'm really excited to see what they do with the new incarnation of the Vile in Doom 4. I hope they retain it's ability to resurrect fallen monsters, provided the player hasn't turned them all into shredded beef.

Yeah, I think the only monster that ever did scare me In DOOM 3 was the Maggot, just the way It lunges at you and walks kinda spooks me for some reason. But the original Archvile for DOOM 3 would've been terrifying.

Though, for some reason I'd like them to use the original design for him from DOOM 3, It'll make him a sneaky fucker but the coolest thing Is seeing how he resurrects the demons.

Though, I wouldn't mind an more beefed up version of his Classic DOOM design In the game, It looks like they're doing the same for the Cacodemon and Pinky.

I want to see the new Archvile have a resurrection animation where all of the monsters gibs and blood are actually sucked back together into it's original shape, with some fancy fire effects slapped on for good measure.
Kind of like playing a monster's death animation in reverse.

The Civ said:

I want to see the new Archvile have a resurrection animation where all of the monsters gibs and blood are actually sucked back together into it's original shape, with some fancy fire effects slapped on for good measure.

isn't that how vanilla Doom did it?

Voros said:

isn't that how vanilla Doom did it?

He did mention It'd be similar to Vanilla DOOM. I can see that the resurrecting will be the enemy getting put back to together In a more gory, and greater detail.

Tritnew said:

I can see that the resurrecting will be the enemy getting put back to together In a more gory, and greater detail.

DEFINITELY.

Just look at the chainsaw kills compared to classic Doom.

I hope AT LEAST id Software brings the classic Arch-Vile that resurrects those demons I killed!... I hope...

Avoozl said:

Well it doesn't hurt to have only a few demons with horns though.

Imagine the new Hell Knight, with horns...[INSERT]
Imagine the new Imp with horns...[INSERT]
Imagine the new Revenant with horns...[INSERT]
Imagine the new Mancubus with horns...[INSERT]
Imagine the new Zombies with horns...[INSERT]-wait, lol.

Horns MIGHT go with, say, Arch-Viles... If they look classical in a recreated way.

Yeah, your right. A few won't hurt... Does the Cyberdemon count as "few"?

The Civ said:

While this is a neat idea, that's just not how things work in a modern engine. There's no "death animation" to reverse. Those gibs blew apart and their trajectories were calculated by the physics engine on the fly, and not saved. Also the "gibs" from bodies exploding very rarely actually form a whole "body" of parts so it'd probably look pretty weird.

I'm assuming there would be some way to kind of magnetize the gibs back into place?
Anything is possible, as long as the programmers make it that way, so there's no way to tell just yet.
I just hope it isn't like Doom 3's, where it just summons enemy after enemy.
That shit got annoying to fight really fast.

Heh, I was about to say that the D3 archvile doesn't do that, then I realised that I'm thinking of the one in Phobos, which has been fixed. Quite a lot of the monsters have been tweaked actually. Makes my memories of vanilla D3 kinda hazy.

If Doom '16's archvile actually resurrects enemies, that'll be fucking badass. Both the animation and the challenge it creates would be very interesting in modern 3D.