• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Woolie Wool

[Wolfenstein] Operation Serpent First Encounter released

Download (27.2 MB)
Lossless HQ music pack (202.8 MB)

Behold the most advanced Wolfenstein TC ever created. If you liked the tech demo I made for Blzut3's ECWolf port, you ain't seen nothing yet.

My ninth Wolfenstein mod and fourth ECWolf mod, Operation Serpent is set in the year 1989, in the fictional central American country of San Salvación, just to the south of Mexico's Yucatán peninsula. A breakaway state from Mexico, San Salvación has been gripped by civil war and ethnic conflict since the 1950s. Frequently changing alignment between the Western and Eastern Blocs, and riven by tensions between the white "creole" elite and the mestizo and Native American majority, San Salvación is one of the most unstable and dangerous places on earth.

In 1988, San Salvacion fell into the hands of the fascist, white supremacist National Liberation Party, who have begun a campaign of genocide against their opponents. If that wasn't bad enough, rumor has it that thousands of dissidents, Communists, and "ethnic undesirables" have been delivered to the escaped Nazi war criminal Dr. Joachim Mörder, a biologist who experimented on prisoners in the Chelmno extermination camp in 1944. These prisoners have supposedly been used for genetic experiments that have turned some of them into super-soldiers and hideous monsters, stripped of their free will and mindlessly obedient of the fascist Salvaciano government.

You are Maria Cortez, a Mexican-American spy sent in by the pan-American anti-fascist organization AAM to gather intelligence on the experiments taking place within the borders of San Salvación and, if possible, shut them down. The Black Hawk helicopter that took you into San Salvación has been shot down and you barely escaped with your life. Armed with nothing more than a knife and a Glock 17 pistol, you find yourself stranded in a hostile country, on the run from the Salvaciano army.

Operation Serpent is by far my most advanced and radical mod yet, featuring enormous levels and a host of ECWolf features never seen before, and a unique aesthetic inspired by the art and culture of the late 1980s, including an original '80s metal soundtrack composed by Bashe and Shane Strife and performed on real guitars. A hand-edited COLORMAP with gradient sky effects and fullbright colors, an all-new roster of enemies and weapons, and Doom-style weapon bobbing and hitscan attacks make Operation Serpent look and play like no other Wolfenstein mod. Though it has only eight levels, each of these levels is four to six times the length of a standard Wolfenstein level. A new player should take 6-8 hours to complete Operation Serpent.

Requires Wolfenstein 3D v1.4 and a recent dev build of ECWolf to play. AMD Phenom II CPU or better required for adequate performance (Intel Core i3 recommended) on the later maps.

Dayum man, this is brilliant looking. Art is gritty as fuck and clever ways around engine limitations, it seems. Maria has some manly hands tho, and no pupils.

Eh, it's a shame I have never used ECWolf before and have no idea how.

It works like a Doom source port. Dump the ECWolf files into an existing vanilla Wolf3D installation, or if you have Steam, any folder you like, and load it as ecwolf --file serpent1.pk3.

If you have an older copy of Wolf3D you may need the patcher.

Jaxxoon R said:

Dayum man, this is brilliant looking. Art is gritty as fuck and clever ways around engine limitations, it seems. Maria has some manly hands tho, and no pupils.

I had god mode on when taking these particular shots because I'm lazy. If it was good enough for Doom II...

I was a tester for this! :D

Woolie Wool, maker of the kick-ass Mutiny mod for Doom II, didn't know you were Executor on the DieHard forums.

It says the download isn't available right now for some reason though?

Crashed after the title screen. D:

I put together the last ECWolf, the pk3 and my Wolf3D files (presumably it's the right version... I think)

Woolie Wool said:

Where did you install the Wolf3D files from? If you didn't get them from Steam you may need to run the patcher.

Oh yeah, my bad. =P

Hey, I'm having a lot of fun with this... Cool graphics, cool recolored sprites, very cute mapset. The only thing that I found a little weird was the vines cutted in the sky ceiling. I'm not a big fan of the music too, but this is just a matter of taste.

I would love to see Balames87 making a walkthrough of your project.

Are the bullet physics different in this mod?

Also Uhh... what difficulty would you recommend to someone who's not really a wolf3d pro? I tried the hardest and ended up running out of ammo and dying on the first map so I bumped it down the mid setting where I... ran out of ammo and died on the first map :/

Captain Red said:

Also Uhh... what difficulty would you recommend to someone who's not really a wolf3d pro? I tried the hardest and ended up running out of ammo and dying on the first map so I bumped it down the mid setting where I... ran out of ammo and died on the first map :/

Try the second difficulty, the difficulties are a lot like Doom, skill 1 has identical enemy placement as skill 2 but reduced player damage whereas skill 5 plays like skill 4 -fast.

SavageCorona said:

I can't even open it for some reason. It just loads the default Wolf 3D game.

Did you drag and drop serpent1.pk3 onto ECWolf and select Wolf3D as your 'IWAD'?

Edit: wait a minute I was actually loading the music pack thinking that it was just a different version with higher quality music I am really really dumb

Captain Red said:

(...) I tried the hardest and ended up running out of ammo and dying on the first map so I bumped it down the mid setting where I... ran out of ammo and died on the first map :/

Most of the ammo will be found in dead bodies. So you have to kill the enemies in a way that you can grab more ammo during the conflict (instead of grab them after cleaning a room, which is a more common approach in Doom). Besides, you can make them reach near to you before you kill them, so you can grab ammo without expose yourself.

Captain Red said:

Yeah, the bullets are like fast projectiles in this, IIRC. It lets you actually see your shots hitting enemies a little better, which I appreciate.

As for difficulty, I'd suggest starting on skill 2, or maybe 3 if you're feeling a little more brave. I tested all the levels on 4, as Woolie knew I could, but it does get rough, especially later on. I'd say skill 2 is probably balanced enough for someone who's not a WOLF3D MASTA™ just fine.

music sucks btw :)

More precisely, the player weapons use fast projectiles that imitate Doom's hitscan code, passing through scenery objects and doing a multiple of d3 for damage. Hopefully one day soon, A_FireBullets will be added to ECWolf and this will be unnecessary. Enemies still use Wolfenstein-type hitscans for balance reasons (using the projectiles would make them far more dangerous).

A tip to rack up a good amount of ammo in the beginning is to use the pistol exclusively, it is slightly more powerful than the UZI, then when you've got 200 rounds or more you can rip loose with it. The AK is extremely effective at dealing with long distance targets, as long as you can see them you can hit them.

Use the three-round burst (single tap of fire button) as much as possible with the AK, the spread becomes much wider after the third shot.