Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Disney will make one star wars movie a year

They got the golden egg chicken and now they trying to use it at max?

What a bad end, i hope they can do a good job at least...

I feel sad that the Death Star plans won't be stolen by Kyle Katarn during the tutorial level of Dark Forces. I do not, otherwise, care much.

Looks like the "saga" films will still be only nine in total, including the six already made; and will be released every two years. The other films will be "anthology" stuff and will be basically the Expanded Universe of the new canon.

It would be impossible to do at high end movie budgets, set building, efects rendering, and more. there is a reason why most movies of such callibre need 3 years of full blown development. A low or medium budget television show like stargate would be more realistic.

Disney insinuating that they want more does no equal a yearly release.

Marvel is currently releasing more than one movie a year for their Marvel Universe. Plus they got several tv series as well.

The thing is that they'd be working on several movie at once. Like suppose it takes three years to make a movie, then what you do is that you have three different teams, each working on their own movie. Team 1 releases film A in 2015 and starts working on film D, then team 2 releases film B in 2016 and starts working on film E, and finally team 3 releases film C in 2017 and starts working on film F. Then 2018 arrives, team 1 has finished film D and releases it and then starts working on film G.

So here we have two movies being made at once: one is a "saga" movie (Episode VII: The Force Awakens), the other is an "anthology" movie (Rogue One, notice the lack of "Episode Whatever:" prefix).

Directors and scenarists are different people (TFA has JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Michael Arndt; while RO has Gareth Edwards, John Knoll, Gary Whitta, Chris Weitz); different main actors (not gonna copy the lists, check for yourself), even different composers for the soundtrack (saga title gets John Williams of course, but the other gets Alexandre Desplat).

kristus said:

Marvel is currently releasing more than one movie a year for their Marvel Universe. Plus they got several tv series as well.

Disney spent another 4 billion to acquire that IP. I suppose the business model adopted to milk that cash cow has worked well enough for them to apply it to the Star Wars franchise.

Prequel. Saga.

Seriously, no matter what Disney does, it can't be worse than the atrocities Lucas committed on his own child. They're professionals, unlike a certain man-child that gradually lost his mind in the quest for the Perfect Cash Grab. At worst we'll get a polished, inoffensive and utterly, utterly bland "wild adventure ride" like the new Star Trek movies or Pirates of the Caribbean 7: Pirates in Space. It's going to have a bit of everything for everyone, there will be more action than you ever wanted and you won't remember a thing after stepping out of the cinema.

What did spoil any anticipation I had was this prediction discussion by Red Letter Media. based on what's seen in the trailers they anticipate pretty much a clone of the original movie, just shuffled around a bit. And sadly it makes perfect sense. So where Lucas tried to do a new thing with the prequels and then stuck a boatload of dumb references to the originals into it, Disney will do the opposite, copy all the formulas and give them a new paint job. Instant fan gratification!

What if Lucas actually did the movies in the right order in the first place, would 1 2 and 3 still be as bad?

Avoozl said:

What if Lucas actually did the movies in the right order in the first place, would 1 2 and 3 still be as bad?

Probably not, since a large part of what made the prequels bad were that Lucas' overindulgence in the power of modern CGI replacing any need for creativity and that nobody dared to contradict the almighty guru whereas the original trilogy had tons of input from other people.

Star Wars - yawn.

For some reason I never connected with it but Disney's plans sure will run it into the ground - just like it will happen with Marvel. The first signs of fatigue are already showing, it's only a matter of time - possibly with little warning.

Don't worry, Graf. They'll acquire another cherished franchise to whore out till the bitter end. And when you least expect it, they'll restart the previous ones and repeat the whole cycle again.

my bet is they'll acquire either Capcom or Square-Enix, since they have a good relationship when it comes to making video games

i doubt it will happen, but you never know :P

Or even Nintendo!

Antitrust regulators wouldn't like that though, me thinks, heh.

I read this title as 'Disney will make one star movie a year'. I just hope that's not a premonition or something...

Even if it doesn't exactly happen to the extent that Disney claims, this would be morbidly interesting. I've always had a weird passing interest in the way that people run franchises into the ground because the results are often hilarious and bafflingly self-unaware (i.e. Friday the 13th, The Neverending Story, Metallica, etc).

Then again, I've never been too into Star Wars beyond a few nice video games (particularly Dark Forces and Galactic Battlegrounds). I'll probably get around to seeing the next one, though -- assuming that people around me don't already spoil it like they did for the original trilogy by the time I got to seeing it.

im still hoping they bring back some expanded universe (now the non canonical "legends") characters here and there. i'd specially like at least nods to Thrawn trilogy characters and an anthology film focused on some version of darth krayt/a'sharad hett. of course none of that will happen, but a fan can dream XD

Difficult choice, really. Homogenized fan fiction with the Disney label seared into the corner, or the syphilitic ramblings of a bearded fool who hasn't actually made a good movie since... uh, the original Star Wars, now that I think about it.

I, personally, will avoid either way, but my inner troll looks forward to seeing much butthurt in the force in the very near future.

Gez said:

I feel sad that the Death Star plans won't be stolen by Kyle Katarn during the tutorial level of Dark Forces.

Pretty much this.

But I like the idea of Star Wars movies, as long as they are well made, good, and varied. I probably wouldn't mind. I'm a slave to the franchise, so I'll probably see them all.

Doominator2 said:

I Never understood why Star Wars is so popular? I mean WHY?

Edit: This is a lie, Star Wars has spawned several fantastic video games despite its humdrum pacing and writing!

*hides behind brick wall*