Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Megawads that use "gloomy" textures and lighting

The Darkening 2
Sunlust

(in the sense that some of their maps consist of dark gritty textures with bright up to varied lighting)

jmickle66666666 said:

The darkening 2 isn't dark and gloomy

I know, but it does use dark and gloomy textures. :)

scifista42 said:

I know, but it does use dark and gloomy textures. :)

Well, your eyes must see something different than mine then.

The Darkening 2, despite having 'dark' in its name, has always been one of the LEAST dark mods ever made with its bright and clean high tech theme.

I always wonder that, now we've discovered all this high-constrast texturing, balanced with a dark sky and liquid floor, whether we'll ever see any lovingly UGLY maps again =P bring on the hideousness I say

Maybe I misremembered/confused "The Darkening 2" with another Quake-themed wad, in that case I'm sorry.

Despite those screenshots, if you go into the darkening 2 expecting a dark and gloomy mapset, you will be sorely disappointed. Suspended in Dusk also has a bunch of dark and gloomy areas but it is far from dark and gloomy overall. (I like that SiD has a kind of.. "light and gloomy" atmosphere, though)

scifista42 said:

Maybe I misremembered/confused "The Darkening 2" with another Quake-themed wad, in that case I'm sorry.

I always confuse "The Darkening" with "Dark 7", personally.

... which may use a somewhat darker texture set but overall is quite similar to The Darkening 2 in theme, it's also a primarily high-tech mapset which I wouldn't consider 'dark and gloomy'...

Shards of Glass, a single map of mine has a dark atmosphere. Check the signature link and scroll back.

Valhala and Putrefier by Ed Cripps may qualify as dark and gloomy (not really sure about the later). Also a few maps from Hellcore 2.0

EDIT: sorry, those aren't megawads, I should've read better the title.

I'm trying out Sunlust but is it advised I use "PrBoom+"? I'm not sure how to use it but some of the larger maps in Sunlust are kind of slugish on my PC even on low resolution.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I'm trying out Sunlust but is it advised I use "PrBoom+"? I'm not sure how to use it but some of the larger maps in Sunlust are kind of slugish on my PC even on low resolution.

What is it that you are not sue about when it comes to prboom+? It hs a .exe. Use it. Just make sure you have the iwads in your folder.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

If PrBoom+ is struggling to run a Sunlust map, it may be time to upgrade...