Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLAW_88

My only real complaint from what's been shown

I simply don't like that enemies explode into pickup pinata's, reminds me too much of Borderlands. Feels like it doesn't fit.
Does anyone else feel this way?

This is has been a common complaint. I agree to some point but the Grunts should still drop ammo much like the Former Humans did in Classic.

But the glowing thing is annoying.

I simultaneously liked them, disliked them, and wasn't sure what to think when I saw them for the first time. Now I'm only curious to see how they will really influence the gameplay. The visual aspect (looking "fitting") is little relevant to me anymore.

I don't know. At first it looked off to me, but then I realized I never had a problem with magazines and shotguns popping out of the zombies in Doom, or backpacks popping out of the Grunts and Enforcers in Quake. So we'll see. Only thing I don't really care for is the glowing, but hopefully it won't be too distracting in game. Or maybe a way to disable the glow.

scifista42 said:

I simultaneously liked them, disliked them, and wasn't sure what to think when I saw them for the first time. Now I'm only curious to see how they will really influence the gameplay. The visual aspect (looking "fitting") is little relevant to me anymore.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I will love it or hate it depending on how it is implemented. So far, it is too early to say.

scifista42 said:

I simultaneously liked them, disliked them, and wasn't sure what to think when I saw them for the first time. Now I'm only curious to see how they will really influence the gameplay.

Well influencing the gameplay is the entire reason for the decision. It was touched on in one of the reveal videos, I forget which one. A dev mentioned how having the enemies drop health and such makes the game so much faster and more fluid. It means less downtime from combat.

It's bothering me less and less. Some have claimed that this essentially eliminates the need to explore the environment thoroughly, which I think is silly. There's still plenty of pick-ups to be found through exploration, we can see that in the demo as the player picks up additional weapons. Also, some of the enemies in Doom dropped weapons/ammo, is it such a big deal that now they all do? Lastly, Doom's gameplay has always been arcade-y and I think this works well in that regard.

For those who both enjoy and have a decent understanding of Brutal Doom mechanics would probably enjoy the drops. You see, in BD berserk / melee killmoves will score you a small health bonus as a reward. The more difficult the monster the higher the health boost. This is far from an exploit as you can very easily lose more health than you can gain by attempting it. You generally need a 1v1 situation and decent dodging abilities too.

In general, monsters randomly dropping health / armor pickups doesn't sit perfectly well for me but if it did offer the bonus via situational kill moves then risk vs gain is a nice addition that doesn't intrude. Those who want to use kill moves may be rewarded if done so successfully, those who don't are not expected to and won't suffer any penalty.

Jello said:

Only thing I don't really care for is the glowing, but hopefully it won't be too distracting in game. Or maybe a way to disable the glow.

I like the neon glow, and it fits the game since that's Hugo Martin's art style, which is seen throughout the game. So you'd probably have to just get used to it.

Take a look at Pacific Rim's art style, also handled by Hugo Martin:

The style consists of mostly dark colors juxtaposed with occasional neon colors that pop out at the viewer. And you can see DOOM is using a similar style:

ChickenOrBeef said:

I like the neon glow, and it fits the game since that's Hugo Martin's art style, which is seen throughout the game. So you'd probably have to just get used to it.

Oh yeah, that guy...

*Putting Pacific Rim on Google Images*
*Seeing a mass of awful teal & orange images*

At least this scene in particular have more colors. I think I will watch this movie to have a better idea about the guy, but it doesn't look promising anyway.

I agree with the OP. Not that it is a bad thing but it doesn't make sense.

HOW CAN I GET 6 ROCKETS FROM AN IMP!?!

Hopefully, the offcial release wil make some sense on this pickup system.

Noiser said:

Oh yeah, that guy...

*Putting Pacific Rim on Google Images*
*Seeing a mass of awful teal & orange images*

At least this scene in particular have more colors. I think I will watch this movie to have a better idea about the guy, but it doesn't look promising anyway.

Definitely give the movie a shot. At the very least it's very cool to look at, which means good things for DOOM.

After watching it again recently, I noticed a lot of visual similarities; not just regarding the colors, but also the "smoothness" of the machinery. I recall someone on these forums criticizing the environments in DOOM for looking too smooth and not gritty enough, but that's probably intentional. I think it's very pleasing to look at and somewhat unique.

It kinda seems like to me they just said 'fcuk it, we're so late in development we forgot to put items on the maps, so let's just make enemies drop em' and called it a day.

Unless there are still items on the map. From the gameplay though it does look a little bit too much arcade-esque and nearly ruins some of the immersion of the game imho.

The more I see It, the more I start to like It and the glowing on the enemies. At the very least Marty said that the executions are optional, If you wanna stop and enjoy the animation? Ok, If you wanna just blow apart the enemy and continue onto the next? Ok, It's all up to the player's way of doing things, and I love that.

Rayzik said:

It kinda seems like to me they just said 'fcuk it, we're so late in development we forgot to put items on the maps, so let's just make enemies drop em' and called it a day.

Again, it was a deliberate choice since dropped items encourages the player to stay engaged in combat instead of always running away.

Rayzik said:

Unless there are still items on the map.

There are. It's a mix of both.

ChickenOrBeef said:

After watching it again recently, I noticed a lot of visual similarities; not just regarding the colors, but also the "smoothness" of the machinery. I recall someone on these forums criticizing the environments in DOOM for looking too smooth and not gritty enough, but that's probably intentional. I think it's very pleasing to look at and somewhat unique.

To be honest, with the screens and videos we have, uniqueness is probably the last thing that comes to my mind (in terms of aesthetics). Because I already saw this type of palette a lot of times in other modern games (and movies, advertisements, series, music videos and even soap operas). A very exhausting combination.

Noiser said:

To be honest, with the screens and videos we have, uniqueness is probably the last thing that comes to my mind (in terms of aesthetics). Because I already saw this type of palette a lot of times in other modern games (and movies, advertisements, series, music videos and even soap operas). A very exhausting and systematic combination.

You're talking about the use of dark/monochrome colors contrasted with bright, neon colors? Sure, it's been done before (TRON: Legacy, Gears of War), but I wouldn't say it's prevalent.

ChickenOrBeef said:

You're talking about the use of dark/monochrome colors contrasted with bright, neon colors? Sure, it's been done before (TRON: Legacy, Gears of War), but I wouldn't say it's prevalent.

Oh no, there is nothing wrong with glow effects or neon lightings. I think we are talking about different things, my bad. :-)

Pretty sure this is gonna eliminate the need to explore the levels you visit which is what i don't like, Or maybe this feature will be disabled if you choose a harder difficulty level .

Well, I do know one thing; I'll probably have to play at an medium difficulty (In this case, Hurt Me Plenty, which Is very shit for me since I always played DOOM on UV) just to get the hang of It before going on the hard difficulty.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Pretty sure this is gonna eliminate the need to explore the levels you visit which is what i don't like

The idea is that the piñata pickups keep you in the fight, but exploring the levels is how you'll grow in strength and find the really good stuff (i.e. the power ups, the guns, the weapon mods).

The multiplayer works in a similar way in regards to loadouts VS pickups. The loadouts put you in the fight right away, but you're still encouraged to constantly move around the map and grow stronger.

Tritnew said:

Well, I do know one thing; I'll probably have to play at an medium difficulty (In this case, Hurt Me Plenty, which Is very shit for me since I always played DOOM on UV) just to get the hang of It before going on the hard difficulty.

I really doubt the game will be hard, even on the highest / next to highest difficulty, considering that majority of today's players see high difficulty as a game's flaw (unfortunately) and game developers don't want to frustrate them (because that would negatively affect reception of their game, and consequently their profit).

scifista42 said:

I really doubt the game will be hard, even on the highest / next to highest difficulty, considering that majority of today's players see high difficulty as a game's flaw (unfortunately) and game developers don't want to frustrate them (because that would negatively affect reception of their game, and consequently their profit).

I have a cousin who immediately starts a game on the highest difficulty, even though he never actually started it for the first time on easy to "check it out".

If only 10000 more gamers were like him...

Personally i play games at easiest difficulty if it was the first time for me on it, once i get the basics and how everything works i switch to a higher difficulty .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Personally i play games at easiest difficulty if it was the first time for me on it, once i get the basics and how everything works i switch to a higher difficulty .

Me too. Except I tend to stop at easy, cause I know the layout of the maps.
And also I get my ass kicked.

I start all my games on medium all the time, I believe it's as intended difficulty for most games, especially if you're not new to gaming.