Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

Moving 3d Floors to right left??

scifista42 said:

You don't.

Hah, okay. I was really gonna make a level based on moving platforms.. I hope someone finds a way to move linedefs. or not possible. well :)

Don't celebrate too early. It's a hacky trick, little explored, but certainly with its limitations and possible side effects. Good luck implementing that trick in a real map, as opposed to a convex single-sector test map. Don't be surprised if you run into issues with visuals/collisions. But if you indeed manage it to get working and looking right, all props to you!

Gustavo6046 said:

*double facepalms*

*quadruple facepalms*

Seriously, why did you post that, what did you mean?

Well, it's not really a moving sector. The entire thing is very limited and probably the best you may ever get. Good for making a simple moving platform but anything more complex and it quickly reaches its limits.

Talking about 3D floors, I decided to try myself to make some few cool tricks for Doom in Doom format but I only've got shit. That would be quite a simulated 3D floor without GZDoom.

^ Not directly and cleanly what the OP wanted, and even if you exploited the engine's unintended-but-functional quirks, only something "similar" and limited can be achieved, as in the "Floor Demo" wads posted by Gez.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Can't it be done with PolyObjects ?

Polyobjects are not moving sectors, they are moving lines. A sector can technically never move, because they don't exist tangibly. You can reference one or be referenced by one, but they don't really have a physical location, and exist only where lines (or rather the BSP if I'm not mistaken?) reference them.

In an odd sort of way, it would be technically easier to grow and shrink a room using polyobject/dynamicBSP behaviour then it would be to somehow carry a player in one (as pointless as that would be from their infinite height). Theoretically speaking, of course.

One of the quirks of the polyobject implementation is that the area inside of a polyobject's bounds takes the control sector's height values. And I mean that in the most exact sense. 3D floors applied to the control sector alter the control sector's heights, and thus you can create polyobjects that can be walked both above and beneath using such a method.

This behaviour has probably existed for a very long time. The KZDoom transparent polyobject trick required the lines to be set to impassible for it to work, but to my knowledge no one actually plain tried raising the control sector's heights and setting a negative texture Y offset on those lines in those old versions of ZDoom.

Needless to say, if the engine is going to give you free collision like that then all that realistically needs to be done is to provide a flat renderer for such floors (it should already have all the seg information necessary to do such a thing thanks to the control sector); and apply friction to objects on top of the platform. The scripts in my examples fill in for the second part.

Edward850 said:

Polyobjects are not moving sectors, they are moving lines.

They're still walkable , I guess that should help .

Jaxxoon R said:

Sonic Robo Blast 2 has a way of rendering tops/bottoms to polyobjects at least.

Yes. What it doesn't have, however, is a way to make Doom, Heretic, Hexen, or Strife levels with them. :p

Nor a sane code base.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

They're still walkable , I guess that should help .

You need to actually read posts, not just the first line. It's not even remotely that simple.

Gez said:

Yes. What it doesn't have, however, is a way to make Doom, Heretic, Hexen, or Strife levels with them. :p

I've played some of SRB2's levels and i'm pretty sure i've seen some floating platforms moving left and right, Must be done with PolyObjs , And since he's planning to create a Moving 3D Floor (which means for a Sourceport), He should instead Make it with PolyObjs .