Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Violence (4 map EP)

Hey all! it's my birthday today, but rather than ask for maps, why not give a few out? Have a quick four map episode that I made throughout the last month for fun. After a few people said that my previous release was a Valiant "ripoff" ( :^) ), I actually wanted to make something that was intentionally inspired by that set while still having its own sense of identity before moving on to different, more "experimental"(?) projects. Hope you get some enjoyment out of this!

Tested with PRBoom+ complevel 9. A port that supports OGG music is needed.

DOWNLOAD (IDGAMES)

THANKS TO THESE FINE PEOPLE:

Spoiler

TheGreenHerring for assisting with ANIMATED
Jmickle66666666 for playtesting
music by Dan Terminus (from here)

I admire the gusto with which you're throwing yourself into these new challenges, AD_. You take your craft seriously and always aim to improve... and the grapevine informs me that there are some massive leaps forward where furthering your own style is concerned, here! Looking forward to trying this out.

EDIT: Happy Birthday ;]

Yesterday was my birthday too! *high five*

This is beautiful! I love the colors, Very creative and remarkable. Also, the music is great, I would like to see more mp3 stuff in doom projects.
So far I'm really enjoying it

Edited by Noiser

Instead of taking birthday presents, you're giving us this awesome present, thanks!

I'm gonna try this one when I return to my home. Happy birthday!

I'm rather surprised that despite presence of custom sprite assets + deliberate inspiration by Valiant, there are no DEHACKED-based behaviour changes to monsters and weapons at all. This is not a complaint at all, it just made me surprised. I'm more than fine with it, in fact more than if they copied Valiant's ones.

Happy birthday! I'll post FDAs after playing all 4 maps.

Wow, this was surprisingly short and easy, I haven't died once through the whole wad!

Maybe I'll start with things I didn't liked. First, and most importantly: the music. IT FUCKING SUCKS. Seriously, it's the worst thing I have ever heard since "Friday" by Rebecca Black and it doesn't fit the maps at all. It is so bad that I actually muted it on MAP03, which I didn't complete because I couldn't figure how to get the purple key. I'm not sure if this was my fault or is the map broken.

Now about what I liked. These maps are beautiful, awesomely designed and pretty. I love the palette changes (though it's a bit buggy in Zandronum) and sprite replacements made by NMN. It's a very solid mapset, definitely something I would play on a 30 min. launch break.

My overall rating is 3.5/5 because of this god forsaken music.

Happy birthday! <:^)

Here's some fdas.
On MAP03 I died because I switched to the rocket launcher instead of the chaingun by mistake. On MAP04 I didn't dare on the third time to go again where you get locked with the teleporting exploding barrels.
Fantastic maps. Good choice for using a different palette and sprites along with ogg music. The soundtrack is cool, I really liked MAP04 music.

AD_79 said:

Hey all! it's my birthday today, but rather than ask for maps, why not give a few out?

You are just the best kind of person

I have just played your wad, and I love it! Map03 and map04 are my favorites (maybe especially map03), Good choice for the music, that reminds me curiously Kung Fury x) Have you added skill levels? Your mapset seems easy, but I like as it is :)

Happy Birthday AD_79!

I just downloaded your wad; it looks amazing. I'll have to do a playthrough of it sometime when you release the final version!

franckFRAG said:

Your mapset seems easy, but I like as it is :)

Agreed, I basically had max rockets and plasma throughout all of maps 03 and 04. I'm always down with chill gameplay and difficulty, but I think this warrants addressing - I think it's mostly down to the fact that most of the gameplay is so bullet/shell appropriate?

Anyway, great stuff! I absolutely adore the combination of purple and gold. I think it's funny that there's been a mention of the fact that DEHACKED has been omitted. Chaingunners and shotgunners dropping ammo instead of weapons would feel more appropriate in this mapset. :> Also, I was disappointed that pain elementals aren't purple!! What the hell!!

AnonimVio said:

Wow, this was surprisingly short and easy, I haven't died once through the whole wad!

Maybe I'll start with things I didn't liked. First, and most importantly: the music. IT FUCKING SUCKS. Seriously, it's the worst thing I have ever heard since "Friday" by Rebecca Black and it doesn't fit the maps at all. It is so bad that I actually muted it on MAP03, which I didn't complete because I couldn't figure how to get the purple key. I'm not sure if this was my fault or is the map broken.

The music is definitely a matter of taste. Personally, I like it quite a bit and think it fits the set pretty well.

MAP03 shouldn't be broken, as far as I know!

franckFRAG said:

Have you added skill levels? Your mapset seems easy, but I like as it is :)

I have not added them yet. I might toughen it up a bit for UV when I set difficulties, though I do want it to remain as a "sit back and relax" sort of thing.

Oh and an_mutt, that's probably a sign you don't use rockets and plasma enough ;)

Just beat the whole levels, and It was fun to play. The levels have unique environments thanks to the palette replacement; "Yup, that tasted purple!". I must say that I liked the layout of overall circulations and combats. They never gave me a cheesy experience, but always gave me a fair, enjoyable challenges. Some traps, like a room behind the red key door in MAP0X(spoiler), may look tricky to handle, but I could predict the upcoming situation thanks to the power-up item near the switch.

Unfortunately, I share the same issue with AnonimVio; I don't like the background music. Not just one level, but every four levels. Of course the taste of music is totally personal issue. But that's why I don't like the music. They're just don't fit to me. Plus, abusing vertical scrolling light texture is also not a good design to me. It could be better if they were simply static since they're too distracting to me. But then again, It's another personal taste.

Overall, good job with unique environment and enjoyable gameplay. :)

very cool :D played the first two maps so far. pretty cool atmosphere, and I really like the music. on map02, near the rocket launcher, one of the scrolling yellow lights that should be scrolling was freaking out for me in zdoom. it's one of the lights next to the rocket box on the little rock platform, near the rl

I downloaded it.
One of the mancubus in the first level get stuck in the middle of the short ladder near the middle of gameplay timeline.
I didn't really proceed much. Never got past MAP01. I ain't hardcore. Even in ITYTD.