Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Cacowards 2015 Nomination Thread

Breezeep said:

I nominate scifista42 for the Espi Award. He's a great help to the various mappers of the community...

^
He always answered my questions, too, no matter how noobish.

An actually serious nomination for the Espi award:

Simon "fraggle" Howard:
Developer of Chocolate Doom (and various previous source ports), one of the maintainers of Freedoom and creator of countless other projects and resources that have been invaluable over the years. A very smart and thoughtful developer, esteemed and respected all round. Not many people can say they've done as much for the community as Fraggle has.

My Espi nomination goes to Bloodshedder and TheGreenHerring. They've been part of this community for an unspeakable amount of time, and they have recently volunteered to carry on Ty's legacy.

Bloodshedder has also gallantly endured moderating this community, and TGH is a second-to-none project coordinator who has guided the last two Community Chests to completion - no small feat.

It has gotta be Sunlust for me! ... Love that megawad, so atmospheric and beautiful.

I'd like to nominate AD79 for the Most Promising Newcomer Cacoward after having played 50 Monsters.

He's like a potential Ribbiks/cannonball/Joshy in the making, what with the attention to detail/dickishness in difficulty at times that was present in 50 Monsters.

Memfis said:

Swift Death and Warlock's Hearth were good. Also from teledest.txt:

Yep, Swift Death and Valiant for me. The most fun I've had out of the new megawads this year.

Sunlust, hands down, for making a convert out of a long-time slaughtermap hater :)

dead.wire is also subtly brilliant.

Marcaek said:

Are you implying Violence is a jokewad?!?!??!?!!??!

Are you saying it's not? :V

I'm also gonna drop a nomination for Ol' No Name. Great atmosphere throughout, and maps 02 and 03 in particular are real gems. Nice and short, to boot.

Not a Cacoward nomination, but at least a mention: All those who contributed to the preservation efforts of community tools , WADs, and more. Examples:

A previously missing version of InkWorks.

THE ABYSS due to the insane effort it took to get it onto the idgames archives in the first place, and the quality of the mapset in the time of its release.
The original BSP 1.1x for starting the Doom modding revolution - Now in the archives.

John Romero, for the 2015 resource dump, including DoomEd.

And of course, the recently revealed 0.3 alpha.

Security of previously endangered source code, and using some of these to recover lost source port code.

Repackaging ancient mods to work on modern source ports, such as Cleimos 2 and Strain.

Tongue-in-cheek mention: Those who found the sources of doom's guns, giving the potential for high-res versions or extra animations.

A Cacoward nominaton:
Strife: Veteran Edition, for finally making Strife playable for modern audiences instead of sniping loose copies on ebay, or worse, piracy.

Yeah, I was wondering if SVE could get a cacoward, even though it's just a re-release of the game.

Well, it's more than just a re-release of the game. Think of the bugfixes and new engine and features.

I vote for "valiant". If a megawad can make me replay it multiple times without getting bored of it, it definitely deserves a cacoward in my eyes.

I haven't paid attention to this year's releases much, but Strife VE must get a spot on the Cacowards. It would be a sin not to!