Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Anyone tried mashing up Hexen and Brutal Doom?

I don't mean like Brutal Hexen. More like Brutal Doom made compatible with Hexen. Try running this command to get kind of an inpression of what I mean: "zandronum -iwad hexen -file doom2 hexen brutalv20.pk3"
Anyone else who Thinks something like this would be pretty cool? I haven't seen something like this attempted, does anyone know of such a thing?

Well first off you'll attract the "why would you..." kinda thing, and I agree with that. But as a technical thing, it could be done- you would have to do some messing about to make a patch to allow the thing replacements etc.

IMO sounds like too much of a pain in the arse.

Have you ever mashed up Hexen and anything that isn't Hexen? It barely works, but it's very interesting. I haven't tried Chex or Square yet but I imagine it'd be something different, to say the least.

I mean, I've played through the Seven Portals in Samsara once or twice, and it's admittedly pretty fun going through the game with a Shotgun...

I thought it was fun to play as Doomguy in Hexen, but I can understand that not everyone shares that opinion. Someone is working on a Brutal Doom Chex Quest compatibility patch by the way.

Cire said:

Someone is working on a Brutal Doom Chex Quest compatibility patch by the way.

It already was done! Plus brutalv20.pk3 does have the Chex Quest compatibility as a easter egg, except you need that patch to fix some problems with Chex Ammo that would in turn make Doom ammo "innacessible", so to say.

Haha I gave a mate Brutal Doom and Brutal Hexen recently and had some issues with source ports mixing wads and skins together until I uninstalled Zandronum and started allover.

A few interesting outcomes occurred when they mixed;
First: Doom 2 with BD started running and the first 6 weapons (I IDKFA'd immediately) starting weapons were Hexens. They ran perfectly, even the shield bash from brutal hexen. So we literally could play brutal doom with brutal hexen weapons + some higher tier doom guns.

Second: We tried brutal Hexen and nearly all the textures were artifacting and countless number of hostile gray colored marine bots constantly spawned dealing deadly melee damage. It eventually crashed.

Third: Nothing ran

Then we finally got things to run correctly after the reinstall. I would of loved to have Brutal Doom weapons in the Hexen game though. I can't help feel someone would of already mixed the game weapons long ago, but I have never seen such a wad before.

Gustavo6046 said:

It already was done! Plus brutalv20.pk3 does have the Chex Quest compatibility as a easter egg, except you need that patch to fix some problems with Chex Ammo that would in turn make Doom ammo "innacessible", so to say.

If only Brutal Strife had updates too...

Not a big fan of the fantasy shooter games, because I just don't like the style of staffs and scepters being used for weapons. But what you are
saying is possible, but then the whole game will look/be messed. I once ran HacX MAP16: Protean Cybex with Freedoom 2...the outcome was fucked up textures everywhere.

Jaxxoon R said:

Have you ever mashed up Hexen and anything that isn't Hexen? It barely works, but it's very interesting. I haven't tried Chex or Square yet but I imagine it'd be something different, to say the least.

Square is already fairly gory enough for its cartoon style it has. i don't honestly think it needs any more bloodshed. :P