Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

3D Tootsietoy Dakota for you guys

Hi all!

So as some of you might've seen, I was able to liberate the real toy guns that the doom weapons were digitalized from.

From this, I have created a 3d "Tootsietoy Dakota" replica which is as accurate as I can possibly make it, with the exception that I have made the ejection port large enough to birth a spent shell.

https://sketchfab.com/models/3902b7bd3c374dc4a63607df12fc745b

I have made the model freely available for you guys to download and do with what you wish - stick it in mods or just fool around with it.

Bear in mind, I've set the licence to non-commercial, as I don't know what copyrights (if any) it would violate since ID did not own the rights to the toy gun itself, but Tootsietoy has actually sold off the design to another company in China which is now mass-producing super cheap clones under the "Montana" shotgun name.

Enjoy! And expect more from me including the Chainsaw, BFG, Plasma Rifle etc.

'Just couldn't resist to try this one right after I saw this:

Spoiler

How did you get the blueprint of this? Or did you draw it based on the photos? Nice work, by the way.

antares031 said:

'Just couldn't resist to try this one right after I saw this:

How did you get the blueprint of this? Or did you draw it based on the photos? Nice work, by the way.

I was lucky enough to pick up the real deal many years ago (2008).

From this, I was able to snap an orthographic shot:

I traced the outline as accurately as I could, whilst measuring the lengths with a ruler in order to get it as accurate as possible, creating a digital blueprint of sorts, and then built the model around it.

Blackmantis said:

I was lucky enough to pick up the real deal many years ago (2008).

Oh, wow. I've never thought to see these in one place. I'm so jealous. o_0 Keep up the good work.

Well shit, I see part of the tech pillar at the minigun barrel base too.

Da Werecat said:

It just dawned upon me that the bottom of the tech pillar was made of a chaingun photo.

Great job, by the way.

If you look carefully at the BFG, about the middle area and perhaps a bit towards the rear, you can see the "Exit room door" pattern.

Ohai there gif I made :D Yeah I remember that thread- looking about on it to see what kind of things I could mess about with!

Thanks for the model, really cool stuff.

Antares, that sprite looks almost identical to the alpha Doom sprite before they edited the muzzle :)

Excluding pick-up sprites, I wonder how many of the game's sprites were actually 100% hand drawn from scratch.

Doomkid said:

...the alpha Doom sprite before they edited the muzzle :)

Must be something like this one: