Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_MártonJános

Variable Mix (theoretical plot only)

What if a Doom mod existed which would play with the regular levels of Doom (UD, 2, Final Doom), but with varied music? I mean:

- If you're in a good condition, the music track will just play the same.
- If your health drops below 60%, however, the song for the actual level will become of a less good quality: the midrange drops out, some notes become rearranged, percussion items slightly out of time, etc.
- If you're in a really bad condition - between 19% and death -, the music that plays is a cringeworthy version of the original track, somewhat representing a beginner composer's attempt to imitate it with ridiculous high-pitched notes, honks and cowbells as percussion (no kicks, drums, toms, etc. at all).
- However, if you pick up a Soulsphere (or just one Health bonus while fully healthy), the track changes to its ascended variant, somewhat of the "cool remix" of itself.

Any opinions on this? Whether someone have already made it? Let me know.

It....might be doable? But not with midi...or any music to be honest. When music is switched to something else in Doom it's restarted at the beginning so making it "dynamic" wouldn't really work if it has to restart all the time.

I've always loved variable mixes in games, but this idea sounds flat-out comical and ill-fitting.

It'd probably be better to make mixes of various "moods", like exploration, combat, hunted ( as in, no combat but monsters were recently alerted / you ran from a combat section ), etc. Keep them all serious, but go for differing sounds for them, i.e. normal for exploration, excited for combat, tense for hunted, that sort of stuff.

The general concept of music changing with player status is quite interesting in and of itself, I think, although simply having a single track playing in a few coarsely gradated levels of technical/presentational competency doesn't sound like a very attractive way of going about it, to me.