Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

boring wads?

There are also good WADs with no cool concept, other than killing monsters. If only it were that easy to define boring...

I never really got into these wads that just seem like extra levels to the vanilla games, it just isn't the same experience as playing through DOOM the first time. The wads that do add new things are the ones I like and one of my favorites has to be "Knee deep in ZDOOM"

There really needs to be more wads that use the ZDOOM engine to the extent that KDIZD did.

The most boring WADs I played were all scripting and almost no action - they were full of 'cool' concepts but utterly lacking in execution.

Single-person megawads are prone to get boring, because of repetitive motifs resulted from a single brain. If the author is not very skilled, it becomes no different from a wad randomly generated by the computer.

Boring wads?
I know these don't classify as wads but still, Complex Doom and its even more boring addons, All out War 2, KDIZD and there's even more out there that i won't bother to mention, because they are slow paced.
And Doom is not suposed to be slow paced, it's suposed to be fast paced.
Wads or mods that make Doom slower paced are bad.

printz said:

Single-person megawads are prone to get boring, because of repetitive motifs resulted from a single brain. If the author is not very skilled, it becomes no different from a wad randomly generated by the computer.

IIRC Doom 2 Reloaded is a one-man megawad and it's pretty awesome, though the first map is kind of a slog.

Call of Dooty is a boring wad. Its meant to show the modern FPS style. You can guess what its like.

J.B.R said:

Doom is not suposed to be slow paced, it's suposed to be fast paced.
Wads or mods that make Doom slower paced are bad.

I don't necessaryly agree.
Slowing the gameplay down can be good if it is done in a non tedious way.
Also the rest of the design and atmosphere need to reflect that as well.

I can't thinl of any mod that does this on the top of my head, but it can be done.

Slaughterwads and 90s style wads without a unique map style.

When it comes to highly scripted mods I never found one that had good execution or was all script quality but no difficulty balance or decent map design.

Marnetmar said:

Valiant

Seriously? Maybe you've confused with vanguard.wad ? Valiant is awesome as Deus Vault

I thought D2 Reloaded had dull gameplay. I find slow easy grindy gameplay dull and long maps with confusing progression boring if I get lost too.

Graf Zahl said:

The most boring WADs I played were all scripting and almost no action - they were full of 'cool' concepts but utterly lacking in execution.

This. Maybe not 100% all of them, but absolute majority at least.

Also, wads will either overtly high density of mostly high-HP monsters, or overtly low density of mostly low-HP monsters, often make me lose excitement - this is subjective of course, and again, doesn't even happen always. There are maps with such redeeming qualities that overcome their flaws, so that it seems that no flaws are absolute.

DeathevokatioN said:

Modern megawads where every map is a jack of all trades 'solid' map.

For example?