Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doctor Nick

FreeDoom maps still needed

If you have the mapping chops and some spare time, here are some slots that still need to be filled.

Post here if you would like to claim a slot, and can fill it soon-ish.

Also, if you notice any other maps in which aren't up to snuff, and need overhauling/replacing, post them here.

The current policy is that the maps be compatible with Boom 2.0.2, and Boom extensions are allowed (see the readme). However, chungy has said that he wants to switch over to Vanilla for later versions, so if you're concerned about compatibility, do vanilla.
Phase 1:

New maps needed:

C1M9:
finished by CWolfRu

C2M6:
finished by CWolfRu

C2M7:
Missing
finished by CWolfRu

C3M5:
Missing
Taken by: Angry Saint (12/3)

Phase 2:

Map17:
Needs a replacement.
Taken by: Sergeant_Mark_IV (12/13)

After my E3M9 I started working on another E3 map, but development is slow.

By the way, are you sure the maps are still to be boom-compatible?

Here they are discussing about switching to limit removing maps...

Angry Saint said:

After my E3M9 I started working on another E3 map, but development is slow.

By the way, are you sure the maps are still to be boom-compatible?

Here they are discussing about switching to limit removing maps...

If you're concerned about a potential switch in the future, than I wouldn't use any Boom extensions.

For right now, Boom extensions are allowed (see the readme), and any potential contributors can have them in their maps.

Aye, presently Boom is fine. If you want to be 100% sure the level won't have to be replaced or massively reworked in the future, go with vanilla.

CWolfRu said:

It's done.

Need to admit, map quite short and maximally vanilified. But balance seems alright.

Music hasn't changed.

Thanks, this looks pretty nice! I liked the teleport to an ambush in the exit.

a few things:

The exit sign should be a bit more prominent, you can't see it unless you're right against the door.

The teleport at the exit breaks if a monster walks over it, I think this needs to be player only.

water shouldn't be a pain sector. change it to slime or remove the pain.

Doctor Nick said:

Thanks, this looks pretty nice! I liked the teleport to an ambush in the exit.

a few things:

The exit sign should be a bit more prominent, you can't see it unless you're right against the door.

The teleport at the exit breaks if a monster walks over it, I think this needs to be player only.

water shouldn't be a pain sector. change it to slime or remove the pain.

Hmmm... okay, will fix this.

==

Done. Link updated.

Somebody please add armor and medikits to E1M1. Compare this level's difficulty to any first map on any id Tech 1 game. It's terrible. Shotgun guys blasting you to bits in the second room of the game and no health anywhere. No balance.

CWolfRu said:

Hmmm... okay, will fix this.

==

Done. Link updated.

great, thanks. This has been committed and will appear in the next autobuild.

Doctor Nick said:

great, thanks. This has been committed and will appear in the next autobuild.

Nice to hear it. Thanks!

RonLivingston said:

I think I might take c3m3 this time

Did you finish c3m7?

CWolfRu said:

Mmmm... gonna take C2M7 now.

*Sorry for double-post*

====

DONE

I'll take C1M9

Cool! I'll check this out soon.

Doctor Nick said:

Did you finish c3m7?

Cool! I'll check this out soon.

I fixed c3m7 by removing some unknown textures that were found. however I heard part of map30 of phase 2 was used for this map on phase 1.

RonLivingston said:

I fixed c3m7 by removing some unknown textures that were found. however I heard part of map30 of phase 2 was used for this map on phase 1.

Yes, that's what I did. Are you going to add any additional tweaks and rebalancing? It still needs rebalancing for Phase 1, as I had to remove a bunch of Phase 2 only monsters.

Edit: make sure to use the one from the git repository: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/tree/master/levels/hawkwind]

CWolfRu said:

Why does the wad contain a MAP01 and a MAP03 too?

Also, the wall next to the lift is missing a texture, causing HOM when the lift goes down.

andrewj said:

Why does the wad contain a MAP01 and a MAP03 too?

Huh?

There's only E(C)1M9 and MAP01.
MAP01 is raw material for C1M9. One of my scrapped maps.

* C1M9 LINK UPDATED *
* C2M7 LINK UPDATED *

CWolfRu said:

Huh?

There's only E(C)1M9 and MAP01.
MAP01 is raw material for C1M9. One of my scrapped maps.

* C1M9 LINK UPDATED *
* C2M7 LINK UPDATED *

I think the extraneous map01 stuff will screw with the build process, I don't think it tolerates more than one map per wad. can you remove it?

Thanks for E1M9, I'm on vacation right now, I'll take a look at your maps when I get back tomorrow.

Doctor Nick said:

I think the extraneous map01 stuff will screw with the build process, I don't think it tolerates more than one map per wad. can you remove it?

Removed already.

Finally had a chance to play these.

I think C2M7 is good. I particularly like the ending, and I think it flows nicely into the boss level.

Some issues:

* Biggest issue: I can't figure out how to get on the exit teleport platform. I killed all the barons and hit all three switches, but it didn't lower enough for me to get on it. Can you make it more obvious how to do this?

* The lava outlet right here makes it look as if it houses some sort of secret, but its a dead end, essentially luring the player over there for nothing. I would close it up or put something at the end there.

* I had no idea what this switch opened until I looked around for a few minutes. I would just change this to a key for the door.

* this secret makes you walk all the way back across the map to get back to where you teleported from. I would put some sort of teleport so that it's easier to get back to the boss room.

* The textures in the boss room look a bit wonky. I would either change it to all brick or all marble.

* This secret houses nothing. It's just an empty room.

As for E1M9, this has some bigger issues:

* There shouldn't be any lost souls, cacodemons, or plasma in the first chapter. I would take these out.

* Why is there a huge cache that essentially maxes the player out with weapons and ammo at the start?

* The alternating brown and grey brick textures just look weird. I would stick with one per room.

* No texture on the wall of this lift

* Overall, this level feels unbalanced and it's not terribly fun. I think it needs some overhauling before it's ready to submit.