Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Some great footage of Bobby Prince, circa 1993

So I just had to share this. Possibly a good chunk of you have already seen this. This was taken from a larger video exploring id software in 1993. Bobby is a delight to listen to and his explanation for a rather recognizable Commander Keen tune was priceless. Really cool video overall.

Yeah, That's a classic. :-)

Bobby Prince is one of my personal heroes, but for some reason I don't think the Doom OST is the best of his work (but it's good).
These are my favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Bobby Prince is among one of the best video gaming composers of the 90s. The song from Commander Keen is among one of my favourites and while it is called "You Got To Eat Your Vegetables," hence being originally intended for Keen Dreams, it became the theme for the Dopefish. More of his music are also in Bio Menace, Realms of Chaos, Rise of the Triad, and Duke Nukem 3D.

Prince always seemed like the odd one out in the id Software crew. You've got a sharp-witted metalhead, a socially awkward tech wiz, the overambitious but clever sane man out, a fellow literally named American, a Mormon fan of HP Lovecraft, and a retired lawyer.

Anyone who hasn't watched the video called "A visit to id software", then you must check that out if you're fan of Doom. That video features some historic, interesting scenes, including this one.

About Bobby Prince, I do like the works that he did for Doom and other games. But I prefer Lee Jackson, the composer of original Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D, much more than Bobby. 'Going down the fast way' is the best song for the first shareware level, along with 'At Doom's Gate' from Shareware Doom.

Jaxxoon R said:

Prince always seemed like the odd one out in the id Software crew. You've got a sharp-witted metalhead, a socially awkward tech wiz, the overambitious but clever sane man out, a fellow literally named American, a Mormon fan of HP Lovecraft, and a retired lawyer.

Eh, I dunno. That's a pretty rag-tag group from the get go.

I recall that there was already a thread for the whole 'A Visit to id Software (1993)' video with this included.

antares031 said:

About Bobby Prince, I do like the works that he did for Doom and other games. But I prefer Lee Jackson, the composer of original Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D, much more than Bobby. 'Going down the fast way' is the best song for the first shareware level, along with 'At Doom's Gate' from Shareware Doom.

I concur, antares031. Bobby Prince may be one of my favourite composers next to Tom Mustaine and Mark Klem, but Lee Jackson's music is my most favourite to listen to, especially the pumping upbeat tracks in Rise of the Triad. Lee Jackson also did soundtrack for Shadow Warrior and Stargunner.

For me, Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince are not comparable, because each one have a different style. BP is a minimalist, with well defined structures and sometimes with a comical value too. Lee is more epic-like and baroque (detailed/melodical).

VGA said:

Great article!