Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Doom 2 WAD Custom Sounds Help

I need help with putting custom sounds in my Doom 2 WAD. I'm using XWE, so I'd prefer it if you'd help me do it in that program. I've looked at other threads, but when I do what they said, the sound is silent. I also converted the 16 bit .wav to 8 bit and it STILL didn't work. I looked at about five threads and none of them helped. I also looked at this tutorial using Slade and it still didn't work. But I don't like Slade anyways. Please help.

You are giving out little information. What about posting the wad and/or the sounds in question?

Also, quick ideas:

-By saying "it didn't work", do you mean that you were hearing the default sounds which you were trying to replace, or you were hearing ear-screeching noises, or no sounds at all?
-Did you convert the 8-bit wavs into Doom sound format?
-Did you name the lumps properly, that means named them the same as the lumps you intend to replace them with?
-Where did you put them inside the wad, relatively to markers such as map markers (MAPxx) or graphic markers (S_START/S_END, P_START/P_END, F_START/F_END, etc)? Sounds should be placed outside of any markers.
-In case you're not replacing old sounds but adding new via ZDoom's SNDINFO, post the content you wrote into SNDINFO.

scifista42 said:

You are giving out little information. What about posting the wad and/or the sounds in question?

Also, quick ideas:

-By saying "it didn't work", do you mean that you were hearing the default sounds which you were trying to replace, or you were hearing ear-screeching noises, or no sounds at all?
-Did you convert the 8-bit wavs into Doom sound format?
-Did you name the lumps properly, that means named them the same as the lumps you intend to replace them with?
-Where did you put them inside the wad, relatively to markers such as map markers (MAPxx) or graphic markers (S_START/S_END, P_START/P_END, F_START/F_END, etc)? Sounds should be placed outside of any markers.
-In case you're not replacing old sounds but adding new via ZDoom's SNDINFO, post the content you wrote into SNDINFO.

I named the lumps properly. When I added them and played the WAD, there was no sound for DSPUNCH. I did use SNDINFO, but it didn't work. I placed the sounds at the bottom of everything and outside of any markers. Also, is there a better way to convert 16 bit .wav's to 8 bit? I used this website: http://www.ofoct.com/audio-converter/convert-wav-or-mp3-ogg-aac-wma-to-midi.html
But XWE reads it as an Unknown File. So, maybe I need something better to convert 16 bit .wav's. Any suggestions?

Da Eediot said:

I doubt I'll ever encounter a whatever-to-midi converter that's worth a damn.

You can also use XMPlay to output 8-bit .wav files, it's just a matter of changing the Output settings.

From something like this...

... to something like this.

Playing an 16-bit .wav file (or anything else for that matter) will bring up a "Write As..." requestor that you can use to set/change the name and path for your 8-bit file.

After you put the 8-bit wavs into the wad, you should convert them into "Doom sound format". I don't know about XWE, but SLADE3 has an option for it, available in context menu when you right-click the respective sound lump (inside wad). :)

Classic/non-advanced ports generally require sounds to be in "Doom sound format" to play them properly (otherwise you will be hearing some garbage noises instead of the intended sound). Advanced ports like ZDoom should properly play sounds in a range of modern formats, including wavs, of course (16-bit, 8-bit, or any other).

16-bit sounds cannot be converted to Doom format.

WAV format support is pretty simple (at least if you only concern yourself with PCM, which are probably 99.999% of WAV files) so I figure that pretty much every source port that isn't Chocolate Doom probably supports them.

Gez said:

16-bit sounds cannot be converted to Doom format.

Yes, that's why you first need to use Audacity or something to convert them into 8-bit wavs, and then use SLADE3 to convert these into Doom sound format.

Gez said:

WAV format support is pretty simple (at least if you only concern yourself with PCM, which are probably 99.999% of WAV files) so I figure that pretty much every source port that isn't Chocolate Doom probably supports them.

PrBoom-plus doesn't - at least on my computer, they make screwed up noises when they try to play.

scifista42 said:

After you put the 8-bit wavs into the wad, you should convert them into "Doom sound format". I don't know about XWE, but SLADE3 has an option for it, available in context menu when you right-click the respective sound lump (inside wad). :)

Classic/non-advanced ports generally require sounds to be in "Doom sound format" to play them properly (otherwise you will be hearing some garbage noises instead of the intended sound). Advanced ports like ZDoom should properly play sounds in a range of modern formats, including wavs, of course (16-bit, 8-bit, or any other).

Okay, thank you. Also, XWE does have that option, I used it when I was trying to get my sound to work before I made this thread.

Aw crap! It's 8 bit now, but apparently, it's Stereo. XWE says it needs it to be Mono. How do I change that in Audacity?

Da Eediot said:

Aw crap! It's 8 bit now, but apparently, it's Stereo. XWE says it needs it to be Mono. How do I change that in Audacity?

Select "Stereo Track to Mono" from the Tracks menu, then re-export.

Try this converter out. It's command-line based, but it might be simple for you to learn if you don't already know how to use the Command Prompt. Of course it is not mine and I am not distributing it -- I took the link from another thread.

For some reason, after making the file Mono and exporting it, it stays Stereo. What do I do?

Never mind, I got Audacity to work convert it correctly. Now, to test my Doom 2 WAD...

ARRRGGH! It STILL won't play the sound! It's silent when I punch in the game!

What are you punching? The air, walls, or monsters? Both punching air and punching walls is silent in the game, that's normal. The DSPUNCH sound only plays when you punch a damagable thing, like a monster or a barrel.

Ohhhhh. But I remembered hearing a sound when I punched walls, I'll try punching a monster or a barrel.

IT WORKS!!!! Thank yooooou! :D

Yeah, and you probably set your project folder as the TEMP folder like the last guy. Which, by the way, is exactly what you should never do with any program.