Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom Alpha chat brinksmanship thread

I played it on Xbox One.

It was ok but did not feel like Doom to me.

1. Speed. It needs to be faster for sure.
2. Music. Needs some of the iconic Bobby Prince themes mixed into modern versions. Music now is lacking and not memorable.
3. Sound effects. Pretty normal sounds and nothing special like the old school sounds. Need player death screams!
4. Settings seemed like a futuristic Halo type game and not a dark, dreary, scary demonic world like Doom.

There is one part I really liked but don't think we can talk about it.

I had fun all weekend playing the Alpha on my PS4 and can't wait for the next Alpha session :D

Gruson said:

I played it on Xbox One.

It was ok but did not feel like Doom to me.

1. Speed. It needs to be faster for sure.
2. Music. Needs some of the iconic Bobby Prince themes mixed into modern versions. Music now is lacking and not memorable.

The speed goes to UT speeds, which was pretty nice. And there will be remixes of Bobby Princes' music, there'll probably won't be music In the MP.

Don't give your hopes up.

P.S The sound Is perfect the way It Is.

defan752 said:

Reminding everyone to post feedback on the official Alpha Feedback page: http://doom.com/en-gb/alpha/feedback#!

I had to PM one of the admins regarding this. I received two PS4 alpha codes (I already gave the spare to a member here) and neither of them granted access to the official forums. Hopefully I get in there soon; I'm having a hard time not talking about my experience. Damn NDA...

This small slice was a lot of fun, surprisingly solid for an alpha, and is part Doom, part Quake-era and something completely different from what the market offers right now.

You think it's too consolized? I don't think so. 75% or better of the console players I went against had no idea what they were doing. They wanted to camp, they thought crouching was useful, they would completely ignore health, armor or ammo pickups. They've never played anything like this before and they are not good at it. There's no reason I should be getting a 42/3 KD, but that's what my third game netted. By the end of the alpha people were keeping me humble, I was mostly running an average 3.0 KD, and about two people actually figured out how to use the vortex rifle but still, they ignored that Megahealth every single time, they still tried to find sneaky camping spots, they still failed at resource management. Very few of them were smart enough to run through health or amor in the middle of a fight (some even ran to hide thinking that would help - well, it helped my shotgun find a target at any rate).

I didn't use the Vortex rifle once during this alpha - as a matter of fact I despise sniper rifles in MP games as they encourage camping and I've always felt camping is for no skill pansy ass wusses - but it's the most effective at a distance in taking out the assholes like me who dominate with a Static Cannon. Then I'd respawn and usually find them immediately in the same space. Idiots.

The console generation has no idea that they're about to have a real game in their hands. I'm afraid they won't appreciate it. It's a little Doom and it's a little Quake, the loadouts don't make it COD-like, if anything they add a bit of speed since you're not cycling though looking for just the right weapon in the middle of a firefight, the glory kills don't slow down or distract from the action, resource management is on par and the maps are designed right - like abstract arenas that kind of resemble places, not the other way around.

It won't be for purists but if SnapMap is as robust as they say, then I'm sure classic modes will be available via modding support. At any rate I'll make a suggestion that they include a classic mode (especially seeing as how there's six buttons not used on the PS4 controller and a Doom 3/Half-Life 2 D-Pad based weapon selector would be nice).

I was playing the alpha over the weekend and I think ID have done an amazing job with the game so far. I agree I am a fan boy so my opinion might be a bit biased; played every version of doom on all formats through to quake and rage but I don't see how any doom fan will be disappointed with what they have made.

I wasn't really up for the multiplayer mode in fairness but got in the alpha and found every match I played the game grew on me. I also found it has that one last go effect.

Not sure where people get the cod references from as its nothing like it, its proper old school.

Can't really say anymore about it as we under NDA unless you sign up to the alpha forum.

Gruson said:

I'm hoping the multiplayer will feature music in the final game, but it's not a huge deal since I can just use the custom soundtracks feature on PS4.

For the alpha I've been jamming some Ministry, Godflesh, Nine Inch Nails, Meshuggah, Swans, and even some dark synthwave like John Carpenter, Carpenter Brut, and Dance With The Dead.

ChickenOrBeef said:

and even some dark synthwave like John Carpenter, Carpenter Brut, and Dance With The Dead.

I've actually been doing the same! Carpenter Brut/DWTD/Dan Terminus/Perturbator + Doom = delicious

AD_79 said:

I've actually been doing the same! Carpenter Brut/DWTD/Dan Terminus/Perturbator + Doom = delicious

MrDeAD1313 said:

LOOOOVE Carpenter Brut!

Nice! Dan Terminus and Perturbator are great too.

If we get to play any Hell maps in mutliplayer, I'll have to start putting on some Death Metal.

AD_79 said:

Carpenter Brut, there's a name I didn't think I hear around here. That dude's music is great.

defan752 said:

Reminding everyone to post feedback on the official Alpha Feedback page.

If you have any problems with the Alpha, tell id! That's what the Alpha's for.

Too bad I was unable to access the official Alpha forums because the forum access code was apparently broken on my end :(

Welp, i got into the latest alpha run, but i couldn't play it because the GTX 750ti isn't supported by the game, i really hope they fix this when they release the game, but honestly, i should start saving for a new GPU instead.

StevieCybernetik said:

Carpenter Brut, there's a name I didn't think I hear around here. That dude's music is great.

Indeed :)

Well the first two were 6 weeks apart. I think that means the next one should land around the 22nd?

Except both times before the dates for the test have gone live on the alpha faw page at least a week previous to the test beginning. That page still shows the december dates. It's not this weekend.

AirRaid said:

Except both times before the dates for the test have gone live on the alpha faw page at least a week previous to the test beginning. That page still shows the december dates. It's not this weekend.

Cool thing to note is a few days after the first alpha had ended they removed everything but directx stuff from the Doom Alpha install on our machines, and after this second alpha they just left it all there. So maybe that's just an accident or maybe the next alpha will have little to no changes within the exe itself, possibly all server sided configuration changes or something along those lines? As for more speculation, I guess I would say I think at the end of this Game Informer coverage we will get some information about a beta date or possibly an open alpha mp date. Again mainly just all hopeful speculation.

So far as I could tell, the first two tests were identical.

Also, if there were any changes, Steam would just patch it up before it let you play anyway.

AirRaid said:

So far as I could tell, the first two tests were identical.

Also, if there were any changes, Steam would just patch it up before it let you play anyway.

This time I'm bumping because I noticed my steam has just updated the Doom alpha. So it shouldn't be too long now :D

MrDeAD1313 said:

This time I'm bumping because I noticed my steam has just updated the Doom alpha. So it shouldn't be too long now :D

Yeah, just like last update after the previous alpha all it is "updating" is removing all the files but directx stuff.

MrDeAD1313 said:

It's because they found out that someone had found a way how to load the Heatwave map through the console, so they removed all the files.

EDIT: Don't update if you want to play it.

Sadly that is probably all it was. Seems that the Alpha/Beta will have to wait a bit longer.