Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

[Released] PSX Doom: The Lost Levels

PSX Strife! :D

P.S.: No, I just did some lazy edits on some P.G. maps.

But if it will be needed...we can try it in...future.

But now our goal is NRFTL and D64 (Absolution)

Tritnew said:

I'd go for a NRFTL episode as a seperate thing to download though.

Dunno if you were aware of it, but a preliminary NRFTL conversion attempt was released. Dunno how easy it is to strip the NRFTL stuff out and/or load alongside the finalized PSXLOST.PK3, though:

Salahmander2 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qdk3v1s07j2kxj5/PSXLOST.PK3

It's here, the new version is here, now it has the Lost Lost Level and the ZMAPINFO has been updated to include it. Also as a neat bonus, is No Rest For The Living. As you guys requested, it is a seperate episode from the Lost Levels. Enjoy.

This NRFTL is beta. There are many bugs and texture issues. It can't be counted as finished project

DeXiaZ said:

This NRFTL is beta. There are many bugs and texture issues. It can't be counted as finished project

Right, hence the words "preliminary conversion attempt".

I'm really looking forward to seeing PSX: Absolution. I imagine that one will be the toughest to make with reimagining the levels. I hope it's going to be with the d64 textures though but with the original weapon/enemy/item sprites from pc/psx. And hopefully a version of the nightmare imp. think that will make a cool mix and make it stand out nicely.

Brewtal_Legend said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing PSX: Absolution. I imagine that one will be the toughest to make with reimagining the levels. I hope it's going to be with the d64 textures though but with the original weapon/enemy/item sprites from pc/psx. And hopefully a version of the nightmare imp. think that will make a cool mix and make it stand out nicely.

If it used N64 textures it would completely miss the point of authentic PSXified versions of the levels.

alterworldruler said:

If it used N64 textures it would completely miss the point of authentic PSXified versions of the levels.

I don't necessarily think so. Who's to say that they wouldn't have created new textures had they decided to make a doom sequel on psx? Or at least maybe it could be made as an addon texture set?

The goal was always to take the other D64 project's levels and re-convert those. BaronofStuff already reconverted his own Cat and Mouse, to great results.

While I do appreciate the effort put into this and it's a great Idea. I feel that these levels are not on par with the PSX doom levels. It's as if the PSX limitations weren't strictly enforced and thrown out the window. There are way too many Barons of hell when in the playstation version hell knights would be more plentiful then the Barons. The Cyberdemon is used too often. Some of the coloured light sectors seem over the top. Where as in the playstation version, the lighting sectors were used in a way that builds ambiance.

A personal annoyance is the fact that a secret exit was added in Perfect Hatred in the original mapset of the PSX TC whether you're using the PSX doom TC on it's own or adding the lost levels on top. Just seeing that switch breaks the immersion for me. If you guys were ever to revisit this, it'd be great if the notion of "could i burn this onto a playstation disc and have it run on the playstation with no problems" was used for the entire wad.

death112 said:

so, lost04 a caco seems to be stuck:
http://i.imgur.com/bOztbxRl.png

also it seems i cant find any progression, as the keys wont open the bars:
http://i.imgur.com/1BYiKdnl.png

I've tested lost04 again to fix that.

And, guys, this post is so trolling. Cacodemon doesn't spawn here. Possibly monster was teleported by itself but mostly there are no problems like that.

And bars won't open cause you should use teleport in this room. Locking bar (mini-door) opens normal when you took yellow key.

So, this level isn't buggy at all. No need to fix because there are no bugs.

P.S.: As always sorry for bad eng

Eris Falling said:

Except for the fact it's still only completable by means of a secret area :P

?

This map was converted from the original game, you know. Everything works like in 1995 release. So I don't get it what's wrong

As I already said here, there's a linedef with tag 5 in the original map that opens the marble door on the left of that screenshot.
The conversion has deleted the line, so the only way in is through a secret area.

whiteboy567 said:

A personal annoyance is the fact that a secret exit was added in Perfect Hatred in the original mapset of the PSX TC whether you're using the PSX doom TC on it's own or adding the lost levels on top. Just seeing that switch breaks the immersion for me.

There is a secret exit in the original PC version of Perfect Hatred.

Eris Falling said:

As I already said here, there's a linedef with tag 5 in the original map that opens the marble door on the left of that screenshot.
The conversion has deleted the line, so the only way in is through a secret area.

http://i.imgur.com/HHMz41v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A6IkHO6.jpg

Uh, now I understand. Hm, pretty strange, but I didn't add secret exit, so this line was disabled by someone else?

Anyway, if it's super secret exit, well, it's not so..."bad" that you can reach it only by finding other secret. Don't know, is it necessary to re-edit this map? If yes, I can add line-action again

As far as I understand it, you need to take the yellow key in order to be able to progress to the cyberdemon fight, so yeah it's a pretty massive problem.

Ok, could be wrong but I think the Perfect Hatred thing was nothing to do with us. Why would we be touching stock levels? When Fear was converted someone put it into the main TC and put a secret exit into Perfect Hatred so people could get to it.

Exactly why they did this is beyond me since I don't think I saw one post that was actually in favour of that.

Yes it's not a change made by the Lost Levels.

I just don't think it's a big deal.

IMO it's kind of missing the point of being an authentic conversion if stuff like that is being allowed to happen. Fear wasn't in PSX Doom, so it has no business being in the base TC.

If the rulebook is going to be thrown out the window like this, maybe the unPSX project could start up again, and actually become the main TC >_>

DeXiaZ: Done

Eris Falling said:

Ok, could be wrong but I think the Perfect Hatred thing was nothing to do with us. Why would we be touching stock levels? When Fear was converted someone put it into the main TC and put a secret exit into Perfect Hatred so people could get to it.

Exactly why they did this is beyond me since I don't think I saw one post that was actually in favour of that.

Nope, nothing to do with us. I heard they threw it in merely because there was no MAP60 so they must've wanted something to fill that slot.

Salahmander2 said:

Nope, nothing to do with us. I heard they threw it in merely because there was no MAP60 so they must've wanted something to fill that slot.

That rings a bell. Some people were going OCD about the "hole" between Club Doom and Attack.

Salahmander2 said:

Like I kept saying, they should have just lowered the map numbers so that Attack is MAP60 and so forth.

At least its cool we have a Fear map with the E4 sky, and a Fear map with an E1 sky I guess.

DeXiaZ said:

Guys, mini-update:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pzf98gx9t5w5m55/PSXLOSTVOICE.pk3

This pk3 adds voiceover to ending text for Final Doom and The Lost Levels. Special thanks to ScottGray for ACS help, MadCharacter for voiceover and AquapunK for demon-voice-effect

This file also adds updated credits line with 3 names (MadCharacter and Aquapunk and HDoomguy for music help)

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD1jegdi5Qg

Is there a voiceover pack for the Final Doom part of the PSX Doom TC?

Gez said:

Is there a voiceover pack for the Final Doom part of the PSX Doom TC?

Not yet, We'll need to sweet talk DeX and his friends into recording them ;)

The mod mainly shows me that there was a reason a lot of these maps weren't included in the PS1 ports besides lack of space: most of them just weren't interesting enough. In spite of that, it's really cool to see what maps such as Hell Keep and Dis would have been like had they been ported, and the Wolfenstein reinterpretation is pretty boss. Took me a minute to realize what it was.

Bugs:

LOST18 (Black Tower Keep): three secrets are broken.
1. Sector #207, tagged 71, is secret. You cannot get inside sector #207; nothing opens it up (no linedef have any effect on tag 71), it has a height of 0, and even if it were opened up the player couldn't "discover" it because its depth is only 10 units so there isn't enough space for a player's center to get there without a noclip cheat.
2. Sectors #235 and #251, tagged 72, are supposed to open to show a tunnel to a berserk pack; but they cannot open because they are near each other and the action to open them is a door action. A door only raises the door sector to some point below the lowest neighboring ceiling; these two sectors are each other's neighbors with the same ceiling height.

In the original Master Levels, this is different. There is only one sector tagged 72, so it raises normally. Splitting it up in two parts is what broke it. The sector tagged 71 is opened by crossing the line at the end of the tunnel from ST72. ST71 is deep enough for the player to enter (and pick up a medikit placed inside), and it contains a switch that opens up sector tagged 76, near the exit (this secret was removed from the conversion).

Graphical glitch in the same level: sector #116, tagged 34, looks wrong when opened, the midtextures do not move to the same height on the inside as on the outside. Perhaps because they have different middle Y offsets?