Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dugan

Which source ports fix the SSG animation?

Gustavo6046 said:

What port do you normally use?

Normally? prboom-plus for demos and gzdoom for playing. Right now, though, I'm playing through Alien Vendetta in Crispy DOOM.

Da Werecat said:

ZDoom family does.

Are you sure about this? ZDoom adheres strictly to vanilla's frame table (although it wouldn't be the first thing that was accidentally changed).

Khorus said:

iirc, Doomsday fixes this and the rocket launcher as well.

To continue Edwards850's comment.

Are you sure about this? Doomsday adheres strictly to vanilla's frame table.

By the way, an excerpt from ZDoom's default DECORATE definitions:

ACTOR SuperShotgun : DoomWeapon 82
{
	Game Doom
	SpawnID 33
	Weapon.SelectionOrder 400
	Weapon.AmmoUse 2
	Weapon.AmmoGive 8
	Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
	Inventory.PickupMessage "$GOTSHOTGUN2"
	Obituary "$OB_MPSSHOTGUN"
	Tag "$TAG_SUPERSHOTGUN"
	States
	{
	Ready:
		SHT2 A 1 A_WeaponReady
		Loop
	Deselect:
		SHT2 A 1 A_Lower
		Loop
	Select:
		SHT2 A 1 A_Raise
		Loop
	Fire:
		SHT2 A 3
		SHT2 A 7 A_FireShotgun2
		SHT2 B 7
		SHT2 C 7 A_CheckReload
		SHT2 D 7 A_OpenShotgun2
		SHT2 E 7
		SHT2 F 7 A_LoadShotgun2
		SHT2 G 6
		SHT2 H 6 A_CloseShotgun2
		SHT2 A 5 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
	// unused states
		SHT2 B 7
		SHT2 A 3
		Goto Deselect
	Flash:
		SHT2 I 4 Bright A_Light1
		SHT2 J 3 Bright A_Light2
		Goto LightDone
	Spawn:
		SGN2 A -1
		Stop
	}
}
Flash states have durations 4 and 3 (originally 5 and 4). Again, it doesn't surprise me, because muzzle flashes don't affect gameplay in any serious way. They shouldn't even break demos.

In case someone is interested, this was changed between ZDoom versions 1.22 and 1.23, i.e. almost 16 years ago. So far no Dehacked misbehavior has been reported.

ZDoom fixes it, yeah, unlike prboom+. But it's not just the muzzle frames that are problematic, it's also the brown pixel in the weaponready frame, the flashing of just half the gun (easy to see in a medium brightness sector) and the frame offsets. Doom Retro fixes all of those.

In ZDoom I use Smooth Doom :-D

Da Werecat said:

Pretty sure. I don't know what was changed, but since even MBF fixes the problem, it doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, it uses timings of 4/3 rather than 5/4 in the flash. I wonder if MBF has influenced other ports with that.

I'll fix this immediately in Crispy Doom if it can be assumed that this does not affect demo compatibility. But since it's in MBF I guess it's safe...?

Out of curiosity, do you suppose the SSG firing frame thing was less obvious on CRTs, or something? I'm not sure why that would be the case but it doesn't seem out of the question.

Are there any ports which fix the same issue for the pistol? When you fire pistol, sprite PISGB0 is displayed for 6 tics (and followed by PISGC0), simultaneously with a muzzle flash sprite PISFA0 displayed for 7 tics. There is 1 tic when PISFA0 overlaps PISGC0, which looks glitchy and can be seen for example in the 4th screenshot in this thread (taken in ZDoom).

The engine eats the first tic of the muzzle flash. Don't ask me why - I never investigated it.

Try firing the pistol in PrBoom+ with reduced game speed - you won't see the glitch. I can only assume that the muzzle flash code was changed in ZDoom.

Linguica said:

Out of curiosity, do you suppose the SSG firing frame thing was less obvious on CRTs, or something? I'm not sure why that would be the case but it doesn't seem out of the question.

I remember the SSG's prolonged muzzle flash frame being visible on my CRT monitor in the 90s (which happened to be captured on video here if anyone feels adventurous enough to identify the model). I distinctly recall making note of that error at the time in the MAP05 demo. Fixing this particular anomaly was even one of the first DeHackEd patches I made back when I was 9 or so years old.

Linguica said:

This might be because of my age difference, but I found it very obvious when I was playing DOOM on CRTs. These days, I can't even tell if it's happening in Crispy DOOM on my LCD.

fabian said:

I'll fix this immediately in Crispy Doom if it can be assumed that this does not affect demo compatibility. But since it's in MBF I guess it's safe...?

It only affects the duration of the muzzle flash being shown. It does not affect the duration of the whole firing/reloading sequence, though.

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/981135bc665e20ff1eb1b02610dbd4a073e263f5