Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

20 Years of PlayStation Doom.

Thank you all so much for the comments about my score for Doom Playstation and other works. I am so grateful for such amazing fans who have kept these games alive for so long. I have begun working on a very special version of the Doom Playstation Soundtrack to commemorate it's 20th Anniversary.

--This new version will feature a brand new version of the Main Theme & Finale (with and without voiceover),

--all new extended versions of every level track to a minimum of 10min length on every one. These new levels will also contain new instruments and weird sounds that I always thought would be amazing in them but didn't have room in memory to include.

--Lastly, I will do another 5 tracks from scratch that are in the same genre so folks doing mods will have a few new ones to include.

I am hoping to be able to get this completed within the next few weeks. Key word is "hoping" as this is a busy time of year with the family. In the meanwhile I have just released a huge soundtrack of one of my most celebrated titles: Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness. Hopefully that will keep you busy until I get this completed;)

Here's a link to that release:
https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quest-for-glory-shadows-of-darkness-official-soundtrack

That was absolutely heartwarming. What a delightful and unexpected Christmas gift. It's really great that Aubrey was so passionate about the soundtrack, still has a passion for it, and understands our passion for it.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Thank you all so much for the comments about my score for Doom Playstation and other works. I am so grateful for such amazing fans who have kept these games alive for so long. I have begun working on a very special version of the Doom Playstation Soundtrack to commemorate it's 20th Anniversary.

--This new version will feature a brand new version of the Main Theme & Finale (with and without voiceover),

--all new extended versions of every level track to a minimum of 10min length on every one. These new levels will also contain new instruments and weird sounds that I always thought would be amazing in them but didn't have room in memory to include.

--Lastly, I will do another 5 tracks from scratch that are in the same genre so folks doing mods will have a few new ones to include.

I am hoping to be able to get this completed within the next few weeks. Key word is "hoping" as this is a busy time of year with the family. In the meanwhile I have just released a huge soundtrack of one of my most celebrated titles: Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness. Hopefully that will keep you busy until I get this completed;)

https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quest-for-glory-shadows-of-darkness-official-soundtrack

I fucking love you.

I guess he won't also being doing so for Doom 64 since its 20th anniversary is only in another year.

Got this in my emails, came here to post about, was already posted by the man himself :)

Guess he doesnt mind us using those bonus tracks inside wads afterall?

Aubrey Hodges said:

Hey hey hey! Just in time for Doom's 22nd Birthday! :)

DustFalcon85 said:

So what are your memories of PS1 Doom? Did you play single player and deathmatch all the time? How about you Mr. Hodges? How was the development like 20 years ago?

In my personal opinion without a doubt the BEST Doom experience EVER... and I played them ALL.

Two reasons:
- The Music
- The Lighting

Thank you Aubrey for one of the BEST Game Soundtracks EVER made. I am looking forward to the new release. Don't rush it. ; )

PS: only thing I badly missed was the ArchVile...
Aubrey, I read you actually made some sounds for him. Any chance you could dig them up? ; )

Doohnibor said:

PS: only thing I badly missed was the ArchVile...
Aubrey, I read you actually made some sounds for him. Any chance you could dig them up? ; )

I second this. :)
The elusive archvile sounds would complete future PSX mods that would want to include that monster.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Whoa! How did I miss this? Aubrey, you are the man.

I have used psxsound.wad in all my otherwise vanilla dooming ever since finding it somewhere on the net. I'll always prefer the original midi tracks for music, but i need my psx sound effects.

Update: I have about 9 more tracks to complete. Things have gone smoothly so far. I am on the re-arrangements of the level songs now. I think its turning out quite cool and the new tracks have the same sort of feeling and mood of the original game. I am using low fidelity samples and the same approach that was used on the original compositions. I am adding a few new samples to some of the older tracks to give them variety over such long song lengths. I wish I could have completed this sooner but I had to take a break and make sure to spend time with my family over the Christmas break. I think I may be able to get this done within the next couple of weeks. My next Update should be to announce the release.

Oh...one final detail. I found the original Arch Vile recording I made in the studio. It is unedited and isn't processed. I forget exactly why it wasn't completed but I plan to go ahead and complete the sounds for him. They will be in 4 categories: Idle, Pain, Attack, and Death.

Regards,

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

Oh...one final detail. I found the original Arch Vile recording I made in the studio. It is unedited and isn't processed. I forget exactly why it wasn't completed but I plan to go ahead and complete the sounds for him. They will be in 4 categories: Idle, Pain, Attack, and Death.

Regards,

-Aubrey

Jesus christ I thought you didn't find them before and they were lost to the sands of time. This just adds to the excitement! Can't wait for this! :D

Looking forward to the release :)
And its cool that you were able to archive the raw archvile sounds after all these years.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Regards,

-Aubrey

My wish has come true. Thank you, Aubrey Hodges.

All of the kind words go double for me, Aubrey. I want you to know how much we appreciate you embracing the community of fans you have here on Doomworld. I'm not sure if you realized it at the time, but your contribution toward PSX Doom made it something truly special, creating many powerful memories and experiences for us. My brother and I used to play PSX Doom and Final Doom, clearing the levels and simply enjoying the atmosphere provided by your music while walking through scenic areas of the levels. Your music transformed the levels into something mysterious, alluring and filled us with both wonder and dread as we treaded through the halls and bases. We thank you for not forgetting about us and the transformative contribution you made toward our gaming experience as youths. In turn, we will never forget you and your accomplishments. Williams chose the right person for the job. Lastly, thank you for taking the time and effort to give us those new tracks, as well as finding the Arch Vile sounds. I, for one, am confident I will be transported back to my teenage years when I hear them.

Looking forward to the Arch-Vile sounds Mr. Hodges! :-D

BTW Aubrey. Are you still in touch w/ Aaron Seeler? Could you ask him if the source codes to PS1 Doom, PS1 Final Doom and (last but not least) Doom 64 exist? I would like for them to get released under GPL if they exist.

One more question and off topic: Did the Doom 64 models for the Revenant, Chaingunner, Arch-Vile, and Spider Mastermind exist at one point during Doom 64 development? What did they look like? I imagine the Spider Mastermind is like the Arachnotron's w/ twin chainguns instead of plasma cannons.

This is really awesome, I thought all that stuff was lost to the wind.
Hopefully, this might encourage more PSX style mapping and modding in the community.

DustFalcon85 said:

BTW Aubrey. Are you still in touch w/ Aaron Seeler? Could you ask him if the source codes to PS1 Doom, PS1 Final Doom and (last but not least) Doom 64 exist? I would like for them to get released under GPL if they exist.

Even if he was, they'd never be able to be GPL'd w/o significant modification, because they link with the respective companies' proprietary dev kits. That stuff would need to be stripped out first by somebody who has demonstrated they can be trusted under NDAs (I happen to be such a person, as I work for Night Dive Studios *winkwink*). That's why I made my pointless offer earlier in this thread. I call it pointless cuz almost nobody in this community has ever had contact with Seeler and he maintains zero online presence (no social media profiles, no LinkedIn, no blogs, etc.)