Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellslime

Mapping Sins

terry wads are retarted as fuck, thats another thing of mapping sins, [CITATION NEEDED], but no one likes to make legit awesome wads, and if they make, they dont even get ratings. but i have my friend who is a girl, plays doom (lmao, girls do play doom and like it?) and she says nice maps but when she plays an terry wad, dies of laughter

That's an interesting tweaked version of reality you got here. Isn;t it peculiar how no one ever cares about detailed, high quality megawads while the most popular among the community are blatant terrywads like Anal Vendetta, Reqtum, Scathe or Ur Anus Turned Into a Draft Excluder?

riki2321 said:

..., everyone likes to make terry wads, but no one likes to make legit awesome wads, and if they make, they dont even get ratings.

Citation needed.

When I started mapping for doom, I made my first map in Zdoom format without using its neat engine features. I also used to overdetail my maps instead of making the actual layout first. Man, do I suck at mapping?

Breezeep said:

When I started mapping for doom, I made my first map in Zdoom format without using its neat engine features. I also used to overdetail my maps instead of making the actual layout first. Man, do I suck at mapping?

no, i do the same

I think it can be forgotten sometimes but just remember to try making the kind of map YOU want. Even if it might have things some people won't really like. Also if you want to make a trap, try hinting it by use of a dead marine corpse and piles of blood and guts or other ways of story-telling with just visuals :u

Something I don't like is when hopping down some stairs and having my head hit the wall above me sometimes as I mentioned in this thread about mapping pet peeves >~<
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/72335-pet-peeves-in-level-design/

Breezeep said:

I have a bad habit of that myself, man.

Omegalore said:

One thing I dislike when making doors, the flat for the door is the same as the ceiling texture.

That's just me.

That's not just you. It looks better when the door flat matches the door. I think this goes for most edges where a flat and wall texture meet. Inside corners aren't so bad, but outside corners with different textures meeting especially when they're really different. Same when it's a flat and wall texture. It's so easy to correct with a pillar, alcove, ledge or some detail. Too bad so many of the default textures and flats don't have counterparts so to speak. Thankfully it's so easy now to add custom textures.

Rayzik said:

I can name one thing that always pisses me off: NEVER EVER put items in front of switches or door, or in spots where they can't be passed by without picking up.

I try not to do this myself when designing a level. The other day I played somebody's map and they had stimpacks on a lift.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Something I don't like is when hopping down some stairs and having my head hit the wall above me sometimes as I mentioned in this thread about mapping pet peeves.

Ahhh yeah, I don't like that either and I don't like the ceiling above the steps looking like steps. If there's actually steps up there made from 3D floors and aren't too clunky looking, then that's different.

Doom Dude said:

Inside corners aren't so bad, but outside corners with different textures meeting especially when they're really different. Same when it's a flat and wall texture. It's so easy to correct with a pillar, alcove, ledge or some detail.

Ahh, classic.

I doubt this trope even exists outside of Doom community.

It's an old picture.

But it's a part of the same trope of visual complexity that doesn't contribute to the place feeling real (while having a questionable impact on the aesthetics, if I was to add my own biased opinion).

Da Werecat said:

It's an old picture.

I've done that a few times. :p

The other thing that bugs me is a switch for a platform that's unreachable from the lift so it starts moving before you can get on it.

Doom Dude said:

a switch for a platform that's unreachable from the lift so it starts moving before you can get on it.

Please explain it again without using pronouns. I have no idea at all what does the statement mean, possibly because I don't know which pronoun refers to what.

The switch for a platform (elevator, lift, etc...) is unreachable while on the platform, so the player has to go click on the switch and then get on while the platform is in motion.

I am making my own first set of maps right now! Ill try to take some of this info in. However I have noticed that even the classic campaigns seem to commit these sins as well.

Anyways I hate:

1. Bad monster progression: I want to start off killing easier things. Don't just thrown 20 barons and 10 revenants at me in the second/third part of the game.

2. not clicking lower unpegged textures for door jams!!! I even sometimes forget this.

3. Too linear - not enough exploration. This can be hard to balance because having too many options can be frustrating as well.

4. Detail - too much or too little. I like the classic look and having too much detail for a room just looks out of place for this old engine.

5. Too much ammo/items. I don't want to be running out all the time, but having unlimited ammo and health makes the game boring.

Switch-hunts and mazes. I got so many headaches from wandering around lost in bad shovelware maps that I get a headache like Pavlov's dog when I see that.

Putting these stupid impassable lines or invisible walls anywhere.
It's really stupid when obviously you can pass but it won't.
Just playing Hellbound in map14 and i can't fall from any place because of this shit.

Ah yeah the stupid invisible blocking walls of despair. Sometimes those are useful.... This is something that is bugging me about my design with Paths of Chaos in Vilecore II. The original map had these paths you must follow around the map but having these short walls you can't cross seems stupid. Time to implement deeper pits, more bridges and some lava.

Doom Dude said:

The switch for a platform (elevator, lift, etc...) is unreachable while on the platform, so the player has to go click on the switch and then get on while the platform is in motion.

That doesn't bother me as long as the switch is near the lift. What's really annoying is when the switch is so far that you can just barely reach the lift in time by straferunning. It always takes me several tries because I'm not a speedrunner. That kind of thing is alright for secrets, but when it's required to complete a map it makes me shit rage bricks.

Here are my don'ts for mapping:

Bland as hell texturing
Flat and unleveled design
No concept or idea
No theme
Too many/little items

Doom Dude said:

That can actually make nice traps. Call down an elevator, ride it up. At the upper level are monsters, but the switch to lower the lift again is just around the corner. So you can't back out by simply pressing a switch in the elevator or running over a line. You have to fight the monsters.

I like that idea Boris. Think I'll make one of those. ;) Could even have the switch right there at the lift but it doesn't work and maybe have an animated texture to indicate the switch is having a malfunction....