Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Ventris

Playstation Doom Soundtrack Special Edition on the way

In an e-mail sent to those who have bought his albums on BandCamp as well as a post on the Doomworld forums, PSX Doom and Doom 64 soundtrack composer Aubrey Hodges has announced that he is working on an expanded special edition of the Playstation Doom soundtrack to commemorate the game's 20th anniversary. Mr. Hodges specifically indicated the following details:

• This new version will feature a brand new version of the Main Theme & Finale (with and without voiceover)
  • all new extended versions of every level track to a minimum of 10min length on every one. These new levels will also contain new instruments and weird sounds that I always thought would be amazing in them but didn't have room in memory to include.
  • Lastly, I will do another 5 tracks from scratch that are in the same genre so folks doing mods will have a few new ones to include.

He hopes to have the special edition soundtrack released in the next few weeks, though as he admits in the e-mail, the holidays can be a very busy time of year. As always, all of Aubrey Hodge's released soundtracks and albums can be found at his page on BandCamp.

The note about mods is highly interesting. I always kinda figured he'd frown upon us lifting the official renders of the tracks for maps given that he's selling them, but perhaps that's not the case?

Might be a Rule of Cool trump, perhaps. :P

Xaser said:

The note about mods is highly interesting. I always kinda figured he'd frown upon us lifting the official renders of the tracks for maps given that he's selling them, but perhaps that's not the case?

Might be a Rule of Cool trump, perhaps. :P

Yeah, not only does he seem cool with that, but is making new tracks exactly for that purpose! I guess he understands we really do respect and value his work enough to both want to use it in our levels as well as pay for it. I think the whole thing is a truly awesome move and I'm definitely going to want to put down money on the special edition when it hits. Anytime someone goes back to something they made later to lift restrictions (like the mentioned memory limits in this case), that's really exciting. Especially something as influential to the community as the quintessential ambient music soundtrack.

Great to see Aubrey is still proactive and contributing to the DOOM community. That score will likely continue to be the most haunting & terrifying soundtrack to any game I'll ever hear.

As fun & awesome as Bobby Prince's music was (being that it's inspired from common rock/metal tunes of the era), Aubrey's are completley original pieces that brought the atmosphere to life in the most nightmarish way possible.

When speaking with Aubrey a few months back, I put alot of emphasis on how much his work meant to the DOOM community, how it influenced DOOM going forward, and how the folks here would appreciate to hear more from him.

I thought he'd might have opted to do another AMA at a later point, but never expected to get a random "composers cut special edition" release... equally shocked and absolutely badass!

What great news for DOOM's birthday!

Can't wait for it and seeing as hes making new sounds for the extended songs i'm sure he'll keep the songs interesting and amazing the whole length through unlike some of the Final Doom/Doom 64 songs.