Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Partial or Total Conversion?

I'm beginning to feel like I've mislabeled my Doom mods Strange Aeons and Nerves of Steel as partial conversions. Have I replaced enough assets that they should be labeled as total conversions instead? What's the fine line between the two? Or is it just a matter of "replacing a few assets" versus "replacing most or all assets and/or gameplay mechanics"?

Some seem pretty obvious to me, like Harmony, which looks and feels entirely like a new game. But then there's stuff like the Aliens TC: the wiki defines a TC as "a PWAD that replaces all or almost all of the resources used within the original game". That's definitely not the case in Aliens TC, which still looks very much like Doom; however, its focus on an atmospheric experience does make it play differently. Maybe it boils down to general consensus?

I think there'll always be some wiggle room on that one.

For me something like Ghostbusters doom is a TC. Basically anything that replaces everything recognisable from Doom, bar the basic engine fundamentals underneath.

Partial conversion is probably harder to pin down - for me conversion suggests 32 maps or a new ending inserted after x maps, i.e. you can't play on with the doom maps with replacement monster or weapon sprites or weird looking flats come map12 or something. I'm still inclined to think of those as just pwads.

Infamously, the author of Doom: Rampage Edition (or "the author's sister") claimed that his "work" was not a "megawad" (heh, haven't heard that term in a while) but a "total conversion".

Total conversions are mods which replace all resources to completely change the theme. Like Batman Doom and so on, where you're no longer Doomguy and nothing else is related to Doom.

Partial conversions are megawads with added/modified monsters and weapons. Even Dehacked can turn a simple level set into a PC.

Impie said:

I'm beginning to feel like I've mislabeled my Doom mods Strange Aeons and Nerves of Steel as partial conversions. Have I replaced enough assets that they should be labeled as total conversions instead? What's the fine line between the two? Or is it just a matter of "replacing a few assets" versus "replacing most or all assets and/or gameplay mechanics"?

Some seem pretty obvious to me, like Harmony, which looks and feels entirely like a new game. But then there's stuff like the Aliens TC: the wiki defines a TC as "a PWAD that replaces all or almost all of the resources used within the original game". That's definitely not the case in Aliens TC, which still looks very much like Doom; however, its focus on an atmospheric experience does make it play differently. Maybe it boils down to general consensus?

Uh oh. Mine are PCs? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html

TBH I think the terms "total conversion" and "partial conversion" are kind of outdated by now. I think the term "mod" adequately covers both.

dethtoll said:

TBH I think the terms "total conversion" and "partial conversion" are kind of outdated by now. I think the term "mod" adequately covers both.

Problem is that 'mod' is a very vague term and under this term Brutal Doom would fit in the same category as say Strain, for example.

From watching the videos I'd call Nerves of Steel a total conversion and Strange Aeons a partial conversion.

But the terms do seem antiquated nowadays and the broad definitions given on the wiki show that they're kind of vague anyway. From watching the videos, Strange Aeons clearly replaces lots of stuff, but a lot of the monster replacements for example are color-modded versions of the original sprites. So although they're "replaced" they're still the originals. For a TC I expect entirely new graphics - Batman Doom or Hacx are obvious examples.

Maes said:

Infamously, the author of Doom: Rampage Edition (or "the author's sister") claimed that his "work" was not a "megawad" (heh, haven't heard that term in a while) but a "total conversion".

A total conversion, replacing all the good things about Doom with bad things instead!

I still feel the burn today of all that wasted hype..

DeathevokatioN said:

Problem is that 'mod' is a very vague term and under this term Brutal Doom would fit in the same category as say Strain, for example.

While that's true, I don't think it really matters.

It matters as long as somebody might find it useful to classify wads by categories for easier search or clearer talk about them.