Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

Question regarding PWAD/IWAD/WAD & Merging

Okay I am getting some confusing answers on google/youtube that I hope to clarify here.

IWAD: This is your DOOM2.WAD right? I was told to NEVER edit this.

PWAD: This is your patched files? It can contain levels and pretty much anything and overrides the IWAD?

WAD: Any file such as a map, custom thing, texture, ect

So my question is, how do I make a singular campaign within 1 wad file with multiple levels (around 12), textures from both doom and doom 2, and new realm667 monsters? I really just want to work with 1 wad file and jump between the levels whenever I desire. I guess I just need to make my maps and monsters into a single master PWAD?

I have 3 wads right now. Each is a different level but they may all be attached to MAP01. I am loading them up with both doom1/2 wads as a resource and I some how have the right sky texture but I don't understand how.

I am reading up on Slade3 right now to learn about it. I assume I can jump between the two editors - the other being GZDOOM Builder for purely level editing without issue? Building in GZDB, and adding new monsters and stuff in Slade 3!

Thanks for any help you can spare.

Zemini said:

IWAD: This is your DOOM2.WAD right? I was told to NEVER edit this.

This is correct.

Zemini said:

PWAD: This is your patched files? It can contain levels and pretty much anything and overrides the IWAD?

For the record, PWADS do not override or do anything to the IWAD.

Your definitions of IWAD and PWAD are practically correct.
WAD = either an IWAD or a PWAD. People casually say "wads" instead of PWADs/IWADs unless the distinction is important in the context.
Wad contents = lumps. For example, each graphic patch is a single lump, and each map consists of multiple lumps that define its vertices, linedefs, sectors, etc.
Yes, you can save multiple maps and other lumps/resources into a single wad.

Typical scenario: Mappers and modders make and distribute just PWADs (usually for free). Players are supposed to own a legal (bought) copy of an IWAD on their computer. PWAD needs to be run together with an IWAD to work at all. Then the custom content present in the PWAD will override the respective IWAD content, for example if the PWAD contains MAP01, it will replace the IWAD's MAP01.

Also, multiple wads can be run together, and if their particular content collides, the one loaded last will take precedence. For example, if you load together 2 PWADs via parameter "-file mywad1.wad mywad2.wad" and both contain its own MAP01, the MAP01 from mywad2.wad will override both the IWAD's MAP01 and the one in mywad1.wad. Also, if lumps within a single WAD collide with other lumps within the same wad, the last ones will take precedence. For example, if you make a PWAD with 3 MAP01s*, the last one will always override the previous ones when the game is launched. *Actually, when you are trying to save a MAP01 into a wad which already contains a MAP01, the mapping editor will delete the old one.

When you "load resources" in your mapping editor, you are just telling your editor which wads to run together when launching the game (the first one will be used as the IWAD). It does not actually add any of these resources into your PWAD. You need a lump editor (SLADE3) if you wanted to do that. But you don't need to (and shouldn't) copy-paste IWAD resources into your PWAD - I only mention this if you wanted to add resources from all your resource PWADs into a single PWAD.

Last note: You should not have your wad file open in multiple programs at the same time (unless you're using SLADE3's specific feature "Open map in Doom Builder"), because it would screw them up when saving. If you only have your wad open in a single program at a time, then it's completely OK of course.

Thanks for the info. I will have to mess around more with this when I get home. I guess changing map levels are pretty easy but ill make multiple copies of my maps in case I accidentally kill them.

I think I am going to run into some issues since I use Doom 1 specific textures within my mod. There is the SKY texture from episode 1...and chain gunners in the same map. Don't know how this happened, but I like the chaingunners and I like my phobos sky.

HavoX said:

For the record, PWADS do not override or do anything to the IWAD.

That's kind of pedantic. If you load a PWAD that contains a MAP01, when you start playing MAP01, it'll be that of the PWAD, not that of the IWAD. Therefore, the PWAD overrides the IWAD.

Zemini said:

So my question is, how do I make a singular campaign within 1 wad file with multiple levels (around 12), textures from both doom and doom 2, and new realm667 monsters? I really just want to work with 1 wad file and jump between the levels whenever I desire. I guess I just need to make my maps and monsters into a single master PWAD?

I have 3 wads right now. Each is a different level but they may all be attached to MAP01. I am loading them up with both doom1/2 wads as a resource and I some how have the right sky texture but I don't understand how.

I am reading up on Slade3 right now to learn about it. I assume I can jump between the two editors - the other being GZDOOM Builder for purely level editing without issue? Building in GZDB, and adding new monsters and stuff in Slade 3!

Thanks for any help you can spare.

For merging together your maps and monsters, use SLADE 3. You can open all your separate wads simultaneously, and then copy-paste their content in a single one. When doing so, make sure to keep things in their proper namespaces: sprites with sprites, flats with flats, etc.

Changing a map's slot is as easy as renaming its marker lump: select the lump named MAP01, rename it to MAP02, and now it is MAP02.

For jumping between the two editors, I suggest starting with SLADE. Go to Edit->Preferences, an on the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to the one named path_db2. Put there the path to your Builder.exe -- for example: "D:\Games\Doom\GZDB\Builder.exe" or whatever path you've installed it. Once that's done, you can right-click on a map label (the lump named MAP01 or whatever else) and choose "Open in Doom Builder".

Finally, bookmark these two: Doom Wiki & ZDoom Wiki.

Gez said:

That's kind of pedantic. If you load a PWAD that contains a MAP01, when you start playing MAP01, it'll be that of the PWAD, not that of the IWAD. Therefore, the PWAD overrides the IWAD.

Ah, my mistake then. Thanks for clarifying.

Should I get Slade 3 beta or the official released version? I am probably not really a professional enough to really tell the difference...

Zemini said:

Should I get Slade 3 beta or the official released version? I am probably not really a professional enough to really tell the difference...

Slade 3 beta newer.

How can one protect oneself from losing work when having a wad open in both SLADE and GZDB? Just make sure you close it in one before opening in the other?

Yes - but not only the same map, but the same wad whatsoever shouldn't be ever open in both programs at the same time. Or alternatively, open the wad in SLADE3 first and use the aforementioned "Open map in Doom Builder" feature from context menu, which exists specially to safely allow you to edit the map in DB2 or GZDB while it's open in SLADE3.

VGA said:

How can one protect oneself from losing work when having a wad open in both SLADE and GZDB? Just make sure you close it in one before opening in the other?

Gez said:

For jumping between the two editors, I suggest starting with SLADE. Go to Edit->Preferences, an on the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to the one named path_db2. Put there the path to your Builder.exe -- for example: "D:\Games\Doom\GZDB\Builder.exe" or whatever path you've installed it. Once that's done, you can right-click on a map label (the lump named MAP01 or whatever else) and choose "Open in Doom Builder".