Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheEndOfUs

Turok HD Remaster out tomorrow

Looks like it is an update to the PC version, which most likely does not work on newer Windows versions hence the update.

The original runs great on Windows 98 though.

I watched that entire trailer thinking they were showing the original game first for comparison, then wondered how far along into the trailer they were going to show the "remastered" part of the game. My memory may be fuzzy but it looks nearly identical. What did they change?

40oz said:

I watched that entire trailer thinking they were showing the original game first for comparison, then wondered how far along into the trailer they were going to show the "remastered" part of the game. My memory may be fuzzy but it looks nearly identical. What did they change?

Appears the only thing changed was the source code so it works on more modern systems.

New features include:

*Support for high resolutions, and widescreen
*Improved gameplay and level design
*OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync
*Dynamic lighting, bloom, FXAA, enhanced water effects, lights shafts and more
*Ability to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs
*Steam Achievements

It also seems like the sound design more closely mimics the original N64 version than the PC version, which is good because the PC version seemed to be kind of lacking on that front.

When you get it, please tell us all what exactly these "level design improvements" were like (assuming you can compare it with the original). I'm just curious.

From Steam discussions:
Q: Isn't this just the same game as before? what's so different?
A: Some levels have gone through some re-design, items and keys were moved around, the AI is more ruthless.

I don't mind the graphics at all, looks fine to me - but judging by reception, they probably made a mistake calling it "remastered". Obviously it gave people the impression the graphics would be at least a little better. I still have my 64 cartridge, I'm kinda curious how this will compare.

Turok 1 still runs on Win 10 'out of the box' but needs nglide or something similar to be in proper fullscreen. The automap hasn't worked since XP for some reason.

Turok 2 on the other hand is entirely busted, at least from my experience with trying to get it to play nice past Win 7.

I'm interested in seeing what these gameplay and level design changes are, the original levels had some seriously redundant platforming and the enemies themselves weren't challenging even on hard.

Ragnor said:

What happened to that thing Kaiser was working on?

It is the project Kaiser was working on :P
Yeah im getting this on release, always loved Turok and shouldn't be anymore than £7 on release anyway.

There was already a PC version released only months after the N64 version some time in November 1997 and a lot of people don't seem to know of its existence.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was originally a disassembly of the N64 version with PC assets mixed in. Then it became an official project, still with a mixture of both versions (asset wise), to which he was also given the source code for.

Yeah its a mixture of both versions on its own engine, hence why it's coming out with workshop support and all the graphical tweaks etc.

Because Night Drive has the rights, and they are publishing it. Isn't that sort of obvious from the store page?

Maybe Night Dive has the rights to that too and they took it down because they're planning on releasing it on Steam/GOG at some point.
Who knows really :P

Well, I know what I'm going to be wasting some money on. I always really enjoyed Turok on N64, and the PC version does work on Windows 7, although it controls like crap. It feels like swimming through treacle, but it's playable.

Turok isn't my favorite FPS game, but for N64 shooters it was right after GoldenEye and Perfect Dark; but I always loved the variety in weapons and enemies, and the levels were beautiful at the time. If some strides have been made to clear up the ridiculous amount of fog, which it looks like it has, it should be fun replaying it. I haven't replayed it on N64 for quite a while now, since like all good N64 controllers, the joysticks on mine have gone to shit.