Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frithiof

Star Wars The Force Awakens

Clonehunter said:

I'm seeing it Friday already. I'll be wearing kevlar as a precaution.

This is the sort of thing that makes me sad. This is the new normal in the USA.

I just saw the movie at the theater less than 10 min ago. I must see it was better than I thought it would be. Still not great since there are some pretty dumb things in it, but still good enough that I am really interested in seeing what will happen in the sequel/sequels. Here are what I believe are it's good and weak points:

Spoiler

The good:

-Interesting and mysterious bad guy. The main bad guy in charge of the new order (new empire basically) may or may not be the failed apprentice of Luke Skywalker. It's not really outright told but it's hinted at.

-More realistic and gritty, but in a good way. I feared this would be more child friendly because it's from disney. That isn't the case...at all. You feel like you are watching actual war with soldiers killing each other with actual weapons, compared to both the originals and the prequels where you kinda felt everybody was shooting each other with toy guns. Here you can actually FEEL the violence of the fighting.

-Has a different tone compared to the other movies, in a nice way. It's darker and edgier.

Now for the bad:

-Still not really sure what is going on. The state of the star wars galaxy isn't really explained all that well. We are told there is now this thing called the Republic, but then the new order which may or may not be the leftover of the empire (I assume it is, but we aren't outright told so as far as I noticed) attacked, so the republic formed the resistance...even though they are now already a republic...which doesn't make sense. Why do the rebels need to create a resistance when they already have an official republic? The exact why in which this new republic is ran isn't explained at all.

-To many/weak characters. The movie suffers from a similar problem as the Phantom menace does in that there are too many characters and the end result is that most of them feel kinda bland and you also aren't really sure who the main character is. The girl barely has a personality at all other than "huh I guess I have force powers which I just discovered". The most interesting character is probably the black guy who defected from the new order because he wasn't ok with genocide. He has the most interesting personality as well.

-Too much fan wank. There are so many shout-outs to the original films it almost becomes a joke after a while. Some of it even harms the plot by not making sense. Like the girl who just so happens to be a force sensitive just so happening to find the millennium falcon which just so happens to be instantly found out about by Han solo. It strains your suspension of disbelieve.

-That stupid super weapon. In the end the main plot of the film is about stopping the new order's evil new super weapon. A giant ball shaped one! But wait, it's not just another death star! Oh no, this is a new star wars movie so of course it needs to be EVEN BIGGER and even MORE DANGEROUS! The movie actually shows you a hologram of the death star next to the new weapon, and it shows the new weapon as being like 10x bigger causing everybody to be super scared. And instead of shooting a laser at one planet it eats an entire sun which it then uses to fire many super beams at once through hyperspace to blow up many different planets in one strike, which they do once in the film against some republic planets. But of course, it has a weak spot, which a rebel X-wing can fly into and shoot causing the entire thing to explode. Which by the way, doesn't even seem to bother the main bad guy that much. And this all happens in the first movie with there still being at least other 2 left. How are they going to up the scales? Will the next super weapon blow up the entire galaxy or something? And for that matter, HOW DO THEY EVEN AFFORD THESE THINGS???? I get it that the empire could build these types of weapons because they had an entire galaxy worth of resources, but isn't this new order just suppose to be a leftover of the empire? How could they even build this?

-EDIT: And oh! I almost forgot...nobody knows who the Jedi are anymore. Yes, that is correct. Because the jedi are no longer in great numbers they have just become legends and nobody even knows they existed. In fact, even characters like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are considered myths even though they took leading roles in the rebel alliance during the galactic civil war! Which makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!!!

EDIT: Also it appears that just having the force now means you are automatically a gifted pilot and fighter even though you have no prior experience with either. Because I guess that makes it easier for the film to explain how our heroes can fight so easily...

Overall I would say the movie is good, but not great. A 7 out of 10.

darknation said:

Han Solo dies.

I've been saying this. Ford clammed up about the movies for twenty years, clearly having no interest in reliving that part of his career. Then he signs on for the new movie and has very few things to say about it but how he wanted his character killed off.

hardcore_gamer said:

...Overall I would say the movie is good, but not great. A 7 out of 10.

That's about what I was guessing. If I ever see it, it'll probably be on a friend's home theater in about a year, and then we'll watch something a little bit more imaginative and mind-bending like Farscape.

Star Wars is most interesting as a sociological phenomenon and a branding achievement. Also, I've been enjoying Red Letter Media's sarcastic, world-weary coverage.

I liked it. It's better than episode 6 at the very least, although that one remains my personal favourite. There were several predictable plot points I saw coming miles away but hey, if it wasn't predictable, it wouldn't be star wars anymore.

hardcore_gamer said:

Here are what I believe are it's good and weak points:

Spoiler

-EDIT: And oh! I almost forgot...nobody knows who the Jedi are anymore. Yes, that is correct. Because the jedi are no longer in great numbers they have just become legends and nobody even knows they existed. In fact, even characters like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are considered myths even though they took leading roles in the rebel alliance during the galactic civil war! Which makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!!!

Why does that make no sense? How long after Return of the Jedi is this new movie supposed to take place lore-wise? 20 years? 30? I honestly do not know. If we assume 30, then the jedi have been absent in the galaxy for 50 some years after vanishing overnight more or less. But even when they were around in 'great numbers' They were still a very tiny, quiet and exclusive organization. I don't think it would be too unreasonable of an opinion to hold.

Shit, vader himself force-choked one his dudes who thought of it all as mere legend.

Han was originally supposed to die in episode 6.

I think ewoks suck, they should've kept them as wookies. The ewoks are the OT's Jar Jar to me.

Graf Zahl said:

One movie I certainly do NOT care about... :P

Because that was clearly worth posting? You could at least elaborate why you won't see it. Do you not like Star Wars in general or is it just a lack of interest in anything new relating to it?

Sodaholic said:

Because that was clearly worth posting? You could at least elaborate why you won't see it. Do you not like Star Wars in general or is it just a lack of interest in anything new relating to it?

If he's anything like me maybe he's not interested in seeing Disney's fanfiction to the tune of several million dollars, or the wiping out of 30 some years of established cannon. Like a Beatles cover band, no one truly cares anymore, deep inside they know the whole thing is fraudulent. Besides after the Star Trek reboot abortions Abrams is on my shit list for all time anyway.

Quast said:

Shit, vader himself force-choked one his dudes who thought of it all as mere legend.

Which itself makes zero sense because that guy is old enough to be around during the prequels when the Jedi were massively known and fighting openly in a massive galactic war. At least in the OT it was "a bunch of space terrorists who blew up some Imperial shit in really isolated sectors on the fringes of the galaxy" that could be the stuff of legend 30 years later. I mean it's not like the empire just goes away at the end of RoTJ (fuck you special editions) they're a massive galaxy spanning government, they're not going to collapse because a few million people died and they lost two weapons.

Use3D said:

If he's anything like me maybe he's not interested in seeing Disney's fanfiction to the tune of several million dollars, or the wiping out of 30 some years of established cannon. Like a Beatles cover band, no one truly cares anymore, deep inside they know the whole thing is fraudulent. Besides after the Star Trek reboot abortions Abrams is on my shit list for all time anyway.

I dunno... some of the Star Trek movies featuring the cast from The Original Series kinda ruined things for me before Abrams even got a chance to touch any of the scripts.

I mean, seriously? Did they require the senior officers to put on an extra 100 pounds for their roles, or what? (While it was technically possibly for starship captains and their officer buddies to be fat tubs of lard, and it wasn't really until 2010 that the US Navy started cracking down on overweight, obese people, I don't think it's realistic to think that someone could live to the age of 40 when they aren't taking care of their bodies**, and they are having unprotected sex with all kinds of aliens.)

** While it isn't really applicable in this day and age, there once was a time where only the strongest and the fittest survived.

Tarnsman said:

Which itself makes zero sense because that guy is old enough to be around during the prequels when the Jedi were massively known and fighting openly in a massive galactic war.

The PT was a botched retcon, not a legitimate reference for anything that happens in the OT. It isn't canon as far as I'm concerned.

OK, so I cheated and looked up the plot for the new movie. I'm not going to type it out here, but wtf?

If they are going to steal stuff from the Star Wars novels, why not at least make some kind of effort to make it similar to the novels instead of... *ugh*

Spoiler

For some reason I'm thinking that the "starkiller" was a ship that could be piloted solo, and did its task by sending a "packet" of materiel that caused a star to explode

Scuba Steve said:

So brave.

To be fair, I will also most likely wait for the DVD/BluRay release of this movie before watching it.

Speaking as someone that has seen all 6 of the previous movies, I'm not all that eager to pay a premium price for something like this when I can probably rent it for the equivalent of $2 in the future (taking into account inflation, or whatever), rip it, and then convert it into h.264 or h.265.

Also, is it just me, or is weird that in the USA we still uses NTSC (29.x FPS), when 23.976 is considered the standard, and fake frames are typically added to that for American consumers? I don't normally advocate accommodating the lowest common denominator, but it might actually make sense in this case.

Why don't American TVs just do some kind of pulldown/framerate magic since most of them operate at 60hz or 120hz, or 240hz?

fraggle said:

What's with your jenkem obsession? It's super weird.

I just like it because most people perceive it, instinctively, as gross and disgusting, whereas things like cocaine, tobacco, alcohol, and gonorrhea, are typically not perceived in such a negative manner (mainly because it is politically correct to pretend that problems that exist don't actually exist, uh... or something like that).

I'm hesitant to give you a whole bunch of grief since you created Freedoom... (among other things). You've done things for reasons that I don't entirely understand, but those things have made a huge impact on the community.

...and I just saw your avatar flip upside down in the first time since I've been a member on this site. Woah.

edit: edited for clarity

edit2: there is the slight possibility that OBLIGE might actually be a little bit more fun to play than SLIGE... but that's just my opinion.

you do realize that Jenkem doesn't exist and was a hoax right? Also pay for your DVDs don't just rip rentals.