Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frithiof

Star Wars The Force Awakens

Tarnsman said:

you do realize that Jenkem doesn't exist and was a hoax right?

You know you are getting old when something like "jenkem" sounds like something young people would do.

I remember back in the day, when I was a member of the Something Awful forums, and I gave some money to someone in order to help pay for a video. A video that some of you may or not be aware of. Anyhow, it was somewhere around this point in time, especially around the time when this film actually got made (2004-2006), that I completely and totally lost my faith in humanity.

I thought it was a joke... but it wasn't.

I've felt a little bit dead on the inside ever since then. I still can't believe they did that for $500... Carrie Fisher probably wouldn't participate for $500 billion. probably

Wow, what the fuck is wrong with you. On the other hand, is it a derail when you go from consumerist shit to consuming shit?

Captain Red said:

Don't be so hard on him! I'm sure Han Solo put up a good fight!

Not really, in fact the way he dies is really predictable and anti-climatic.

DooM_RO said:

You fucking RETARD...

It's just darknation, so let him do what he wants.

This is going to be TL;DR for most so I'll say this movie was great! Not perfect; it feels a bit rushed and could've been longer, and while the obvious fan service was all over the place I think that was mostly to assure the fans that this is Star Wars, not some crappy CGI bloated Fischer Price children's shit like the PT. It's much darker and more adult (even if it's still a bit campy) but it feels like a natural evolution of the series for a fan base that isn't ten anymore. I love the new characters: Fin is great, Poe is cocky and cool although Rey needed a bit more character development which I know the next two will more than make up for. It's worth going to see at least once on the big screen though - I get to see it again when I take my girlfriend next year and might actually go see it again just because it's got me excited for this universe again.

Now for the TL;DR spoilers:

Spoiler

The Good:
Love the new protagonists even if they all seem like they're mostly just each part Han. Fin is going to be a great character; funny, conflicted without being angsty and cocky but unsure - and kudos to the writers for making him a real person and not going with "Oh, he's black so he's got to be urban and edgy." (Vs. the upcoming Rogue Squadron where the lead is female because SJW bullshit. Just write good characters and quit focusing on race and gender you reverse racist cunts! But I digress.) and I'm excited for Poe as a main character because the dogfights are still my favorite part of the SW universe and they need a cocky type like him to lead their suicide fighter squadron.

BB-8 is great.

The original cast was great. While I knew he died in this one and the actual scene was anti-climatic I was still rather sad to see Han go because he was just great in this one, and his chemistry with Chewie was spot on. Han and Leia's reuinion fell a little flat though. And I don't know about anyone else, but I find Carrie Fisher so much more attractive as an older woman. I think short, thicker older women are my thing though lol. She seemed tired and battle weary and pulled it off well. C-3PO was very subdued in this one, which was great. Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb felt shoed in though. The last five minutes seemed off though - I felt it would've been better to save Luke for the next one.

Rogue Squadron (not referred to as such but very much in the vein of ace pilots from all over the galaxy like the series) was just awesome. More of this please. But more importantly: where the hell is Wedge? Also, did the Republic just decommission all the Y-Wings, A-Wings, B-Wings and E-Wings? (And I've never seen the Type-95s in action on screen).

Visually the movie was excellent. It was very organic like the original trilogy and the bits of CGI here and there didn't put me off at all. That being said, some of the colors seemed to suffer what I call the Unreal Engine effect were things were a bit too glossy looking, specifically the inside of Imperial hangers. I also kind of expected a bit more advancement in the fighter tech - Star Wars is all over the place with it's technology evolution not making any sense.

The universe feels much bigger in this one, almost to a fault because again it was rushed but I get the sense of a fully fleshed out galaxy and am excited to see more of it.

I liked the humor. The cast played off each other very well. It helped keep it light-hearted because otherwise this was a really dark movie. The more mature tone was a good thing - after all, we're not ten years old anymore - and helped make the Empire overall more sinister and a force to be rooted against.

The Bad:
Rey really needed more character development. Plus, orphan kid on sand planet with Force powers is really getting old. Sure, this time it wasn't Tatooine although they did a better job of creating the scavenger civilization than the OT/PT did with the moisture farmers.

The pacing was rushed. This is one of the few movies where I really would've liked an extra half an hour tacked on. The last five minutes were rather anti-climatic.

Starkiller Base aka Death Star 3: Electric Boogaloo. And this one is integrated into a planet? Seriously, even in an infinite galaxy there's no way nobody would've realized this thing was being built. Clearly fan service times ten although the impact of multi-planet genocide did get to me in ways the destruction of Alderaan did not.

Not too sure how I feel about Kylo Ren. With the mask he's a badass but then there's the times he throws little hissy fits. When he takes off the mask he turns into a whiny little bitch. I understand he's deeply conflicted with himself but he acts like a spoiled man child whenever he doesn't get his way. I can see why the other Imperial officers don't take him too seriously. Hopefully he grows the fuck up and becomes a total badass.

They were a bit too overboard with the Nazi symbolism. I understand the Empire is literally "Nazis in space" but the original trilogy made the Imperials have their own feeling. This one was blatantly obvious with it though, especially the speech the Imperial officer gave at the end.

The overall plot seemed a bit silly to me and really didn't explain what the hell happened in the 30 years between VI and VII. My two favorite series of the Expanded Universe, Timothy Zahn's Heir To The Empire trilogy and Michael Stackpole's X-Wing: Rogue Squadron series, did a great job of explaining how the Rebellion finished toppling the Empire. Here, we don't get any sense of that. Does the Empire still exist or is it just random factions like The First Order? Why does the Republic have a Resistance? Is it just a smaller nation-state protected by the Republic or is it the official military force? The whole thing seemed shoed-in to give us that feel from the original trilogy, the underdogs fighting the big baddies.

Speculation:
I was expecting Rey to be revealed as either Luke's daughter or Han and Leia's lost kidnapped daughter the whole time. Time will tell.

I wanted to see Lando and was severely disappointed. I also kind of expect Fin to be the kidnapped lost son of Lando.

Now that the first film is done I think the next two will have their own feel. I kind of think Abrahms threw a lot of the fan service in this one simply to appease us and let us know this ain't gonna be a shitfest like the PT was. The fans have always treated the series with more reverence than the creator even did post Jedi, and he needed to let us know that the series in good hands. Even if Disney is going to water it down with spin-offs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rogue One is good despite their SJW-minded decision to cast a female lead - I'm not against a woman in the role mind you, I just prefer the casting process to be "We tested a lot of actors and this one nailed it so she has the job" vs "Let's cast a woman because Feminism!"

TL;DR - Good job J.J., you didn't fuck this one up. Still pissed at you about Star Trek, but I wasn't that big of a Trekkie in the first place, I just liked the original run and the original first movie. Now, go out and make VIII and IX stand on their own.

I'm going to quit there. I'm still reeling from the experience. Never thought I'd see the new trilogy happen, much less actually see it on opening day (7 PM last night, close enough since today's the "official" release day lol). I lost interest after the PT turned out to be shit and with the Clone Wars series watering it down, and EA cutting up Battlefront the way they did really pissed me off (I feel bad for DICE; I think they wanted us to have the full package but since they've sold their souls to a publisher their hands were tied), but now I'm excited again.

8/10. Go see it at least once.

EDIT: Gonna have to start writing this stuff then copying it into the reply. That log in timeout gets me every time lol.

EDIT 2: Again, not perfect but great. I just hope that isn't because Lucas set the bar so low with his shitfest retcons. I guess I'll know in a few years after I've had time to properly digest it.

EDIT 3: In A New Hope, Han says he relies on luck and Obi-Wan dismisses that. But an awful lot of the SW is just plain dumb luck that moves the plot forward. Take that, Force! :P

frithiof said:

Dingleberries.

I've just come across a couple of your posts so far and they all involve scat. You're like a badly written minor character. The screenplay for the next Aliens film is due, and the writer's in panic mode because he still needs to cram some character-building banter into the ubiquitous dropship scene. "Hey, character A, what's waiting for you at home when this is all over?" asks character B. "Lots and lots of shit," says character A.

Creaphis said:

I've just come across a couple of your posts so far and they all involve scat. You're like a badly written minor character. The screenplay for the next Aliens film is due, and the writer's in panic mode because he still needs to cram some character-building banter into the ubiquitous dropship scene. "Hey, character A, what's waiting for you at home when this is all over?" asks character B. "Lots and lots of shit," says character A.

Well, just so you know, I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments.

I thought the movie was pretty average at best. The biggest problem the film has is that it is pretty much a remake of the original Star Wars movie. A robot with important plans finds help from a local on a desert planet. Han Solo is the Obi Wan of this movie. There's a new death star & it blows up a planet, but is destroyed just before destroying the rebel base. They even have a cantina scene in this movie. Everything just felt derivative of the original movie & all around unoriginal.

frithiof said:

I'm hesitant to give you a whole bunch of grief since you created Freedoom... (among other things). You've done things for reasons that I don't entirely understand, but those things have made a huge impact on the community.

Just as well I did those things then... I guess????

Saw it last night. Good movie but Mad Max kills it for movie of the year. Saw it at the ghetto theater, lol. Like 10 white dudes and leaving, I went all the way to the top of the parking garage and the fucking button was missing to take you back down. Scary shit, but my bro has a CCW and a pistol.

Ashstrodamus said:

Saw it last night. Good movie but Mad Max kills it for movie of the year. Saw it at the ghetto theater, lol. Like 10 white dudes and leaving, I went all the way to the top of the parking garage and the fucking button was missing to take you back down. Scary shit, but my bro has a CCW and a pistol.

I have seen this movie. It was inferior to the movie Mad Max, subtitled 'Fury Road'. I went to a black man's theater to watch Star Wars with ten of my fellow Aryans. Upon exiting the theater for black people, we went all the way to the top of a car parking unit for reasons I am as of yet unsure of. Alas, the elevator on which we were planning to embark was defunct and would neither elevate nor delevate. I was very alarmed. Fortunately, my brother takes guns and close combat weapons with him into theaters, meaning that no uppity people of colour dared to molest us and we escaped the ghetto unharmed.

Star Wars gets three stars.

My immediate family is rather insistent on seeing it in theaters, so I'll see it with them. I haven't been into Star Wars since Episode 1 (I was so disappointed by it that I lost interest in the entire series and didn't bother with Episodes 2 or 3), so I'm worried I'm not going to know what the fuck is going on because I barely remember anything about its universe. I'm also really, really not into masturbatory shoutouts to fans peppered throughout the movie, as this is rarely anything other than groan-inducing. I'm feeling a bit on the fence, obviously. I just hope it's an entertaining movie, that's all I ask really.

If the movie's little more than a reboot of Episode IV, I'll most likely give it a miss.

darknation said:

Alas, the elevator on which we were planning to embark was defunct and would neither elevate nor delevate.

Our old friend King REoL probably wore it out.

I finally went and saw the James Bond movie on its last day before Star Wars, but I don't think that I'm likely to shell out another $14 just to see Star Wars as well.

I'm actually going to wait until the DVD comes out, since I figured tickets are just going to be sold out EVERY-FUCKING-WHERE in the Springfield area EVERY FUCKING DAY, and the Holiday season's going to be no exception. It's just like getting tickets for the Super Bowl!

Johnatone said:

Not too sure how I feel about Kylo Ren

Well, while he did have some charisma and pathos in the beginning - the removal of a mask brought both to absolute zero, this young version of Severus Snape is laughable. Also, while it's normal for SW to be the "invincible heroes stand tall against swarms of stupid stormtroopers that can't aim or act tactically and just die en masse" kind of thing - the final lightsaber fight where the powerful servant of the dark side (or so he was presented, by stopping laser beams and freezing his attackers in place) was pretty much beaten by amateurs violates even that threshold and puts a massive tombstone upon this character's grave. They'll need to do something extraordinary if they're to provoke interest to this sore loser again in future films.

Also yes, borrows too much from the OT to be treated as a full-scale sequel, but still worth giving it a watch, as a high-quality AAA movie at least (what else do we go into the cinema for, after all). The question is, do you consider it to be enough or not if you're a fan of the franchise. Not to mention that it's probably a rare thing nowadays when the soundtrack is purely symphonic, just like the old times. Maestro still rocks.

darknation said:

I have seen this movie. It was inferior to the movie Mad Max, subtitled 'Fury Road'. I went to a black man's theater to watch Star Wars with ten of my fellow Aryans. Upon exiting the theater for black people, we went all the way to the top of a car parking unit for reasons I am as of yet unsure of. Alas, the elevator on which we were planning to embark was defunct and would neither elevate nor delevate. I was very alarmed. Fortunately, my brother takes guns and close combat weapons with him into theaters, meaning that no uppity people of colour dared to molest us and we escaped the ghetto unharmed.

Star Wars gets three stars.

Looks like a duck............

On a scale of Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back, I might give it A New Hope.

Kyle isn't a great villain though. Somewhat because he gets bested by a noob jedi, but mostly because his name is Kyle. Kyle isn't very scary.

Inkie said:

On a scale of Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back, I might give it A New Hope.

Kyle isn't a great villain though. Somewhat because he gets bested by a noob jedi, but mostly because his name is Kyle. Kyle isn't very scary.

Actually... it's Kylo. Not Kyle.

And that's only one of his names.

Buckshot said:

Actually... it's Kylo. Not Kyle.

And that's only one of his names.

Yep, Kyle is a jew on South Park. Also, darknation can suck my balls. Hell, I went to a known ghetto part of town and took precautionary measures to ensure my safety, and all of a sudden I'm a perceived racist? Yeah, fuck you. A theater shooting is no laughing matter and like GI Joe's motto, knowing is half the battle.

I saw it opening night, it had some lame "JJ Abrams" moments, and useless fanboy callbacks, but was better then the prequels mostly. A great science fantasy movie.

I loved many of the expanded universe stories and games, so I'm very sad to see a different future. But I am glad that Kylo "Ben" has some similarity to the overwritten events. I just hope that more links might show up (maybe Rey being the daughter of Luke and a certain redhead). But I don't expect any new characters will rival the likes of Thrawn or Kyle Katarn. Though maybe the next directors/writers can improve on JJ's start.

phi108 said:

I saw it opening night, it had some lame "JJ Abrams" moments, and useless fanboy callbacks, but was better then the prequels mostly. A great science fantasy movie.

I loved many of the expanded universe stories and games, so I'm very sad to see a different future. But I am glad that Kylo "Ben" has some similarity to the overwritten events. I just hope that more links might show up (maybe Rey being the daughter of Luke and a certain redhead). But I don't expect any new characters will rival the likes of Thrawn or Kyle Katarn. Though maybe the next directors/writers can improve on JJ's start.

It's pretty obvious Finn was Lando DNA they extracted in ESB to make clones at a later time. Something like that, but I guarantee you we see Billy D. in EVIII.

You are going into a thread discussing this movie.
And you were not expecting spoilers?

What were you expecting, then?