Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jewellds

Potential new Freedoom logo

People have been expressing displeasure with the current Freedoom logo, so I had a go at drawing a new one. Please let me know what you think. :)

http://orig01.deviantart.net/3d1b/f/2015/345/a/2/freedoom_logo_v3_outline_smudgedv8_by_jewellds-d9jramm.png

Most of the work was done in Inkscape, with some additional effects in Paint Shop Pro. I've deliberately taken inspiration from the FreeDM logo to create a unified look. I drew the "Free" lettering in the same style, and added similar smudging. The infinity symbol is in a similar style to Krakov's titlepic.

I like it. :) However, do you think you could redo the "Doom" part in the same font (or at least color) as the "free" part? It'd be nice to distinguish it from Doom as much as we can with the current name.

Sodaholic said:

Do you think you could redo the "Doom" part in the same font (or at least color) as the "free" part?

Thanks for the feedback. :)
I don't know if I can do the same font, as the lettering on the "Free" was based on CaptainW's FreeDM logo, and his lettering looks hand-drawn. Not sure if any new letters I did would match convincingly. I'll try it with unified colours and shading and if that doesn't work we can try it with all the same font.

EDIT:

Two versions with unified colour and shading. One all silver, one all blue.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/a444/f/2015/345/7/1/freedoom_logo_v3_all_silver_smudged_by_jewellds-d9jrtg3.png

http://orig11.deviantart.net/0896/f/2015/345/4/4/freedoom_logo_v3_all_blue_smudged_by_jewellds-d9jrtx5.png

The logo is still clearly divided into Free and Doom. What about using the same font for both parts? Also, can you stylize the oo part into an infinity symbol, instead of superimposing the letters over it? I suppose that would make the logo appear like more like "Freedom spelled with double o" and not "Free Doom"

MrFlibble said:

I suppose that would make the logo appear like more like "Freedom spelled with double o" and not "Free Doom"

"Freedom spelled with an infinity sign as the o", this is cool!

I like the idea of using the infinity symbol for the oo. If you can stylize the D and M parts to be more similar to the "FREE" part, that would help too.

I think it still needs some work since I'm not completely sold on the black marks outside the lettering... but you're really on to something with the mobius strip as the 2 'o's. I really like that approach.

Any chance you could realign the second E? The fact it doesn't form a perfect line with the other letters is bugging me. I also think that the infinity symbol would be better without the texture. I also see a few pixels out of place on the bottom arch of the M, on the left side.

Other than these things, neat idea okay execution and it definitely looks much nicer without the ink smudges.

That looks quite excellent.

Can you do variations too? Like one with just the infinity sign... we should have some square icons for application icons in cases where Freedoom is installed (mainly on Unix for now, but I'm gonna get a Windows installer going after the new release :P)

The 80s airbrush metal is a little much. The VelaPax silver text style would be neat. Mechanical letters with bits of tech and lighting and the simple horizontal metal reflection.

Scuba Steve said:

The 80s airbrush metal is a little much. The VelaPax silver text style would be neat. Mechanical letters with bits of tech and lighting and the simple horizontal metal reflection.

I concur.

Last version does look good, my only nitpick is that my eyes parse it as the word "Freed" plus some other bits, rather than one single word.

I think it would parse better having the letters all the same size (rather than a big F and M), so maybe try that out if not too much hassle.

Conceptually, I like this very much. Nice work! Though, I have to agree with the others, the texturing of the letters could be improved.

Seeing it at this size makes me realise that Scuba Steve and others are right - the shading needs work. At Doom's resolution, it's looking too flat.

Here's my original vector file if people want to play around with it. This is missing the bevels and texture effects that were added later in Paint Shop Pro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FmtBb8hs4QcmRyaEE5RU9UdzQ/view?usp=sharing

Are you sure using "Doom" in the official name is okay? Because Blizzard threatened to sue FreeCraft devs for using "craft" in the name. Besides, FreeDoom now has little to do with Doom, other than using the same engine. I.e. it can anger or mislead some fans, and people will read it as "crappy Doom rip off".

Also, a few GUI fonts look like something from an Amiga game, not gothic sci-fi.

Sodaholic said:

Aspect ratio is wrong.

I had it in mind, but then..... forgot about it :)

BTW, I made it bigger than normal M_DOOM gfx, this is 160px wide (normally it is 128px)

I think blue would work very well with the orange infinity symbol (as in the earlier version posted above). Also the current in-game version has varying colours for the outlines of the individual letters: some black and some grey, with the latter being almost invisible against some textures, thus making an impression of an incomplete outline.

Don't trust the in-game shot above too much, I quickly scaled it down and manually darked a few letter borders.

The letters would be "hinted" much better in the final version.

How's this? I increased the contrast and changed the infinity symbol to red. I used a lower alpha threshold to get the outlines to show up better in this scaled down form.