Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuruish

Comic Sans Font

Emm... A few days ago i found out about that font and was a little surprised that font has so much HATRED. Exist Even ban site about it.
Why? That font supposed to be used in Comics but was used absolute in stupid purpose. People just complaining about twisted and ugly design of that font...
But really whether that font deserve to burn in hell or not?

It's like a mass psychosis. All wannabe designers used to use this font everywhere, whether it's appropriate or not (it usually isn't). The fact that it's far from being the most readable font doesn't help.

This font is one of the essential parts of a "back to the 90s" styled websites, along with GIF animations everywhere and headache-inducing colors.

The problem isn't so much the font itself, but on how widespread it was back in the 90s. It was used for just about everything, even for things where that font just wouldn't work. For instance, suppose a life insurance company has a website that uses comic sans. That summons you just got? Imagine if it was written in comic sans. See that war memorial over there? Comic sans. Some people just got tired of seeing it everywhere.

Oh... I see it. Thanks 'Da Werecat' and 'Ichor'. Sad that owner of this font still has so much negative attention. I thought it was his fault.

I remember when I was very young and just about anything about computers was very exciting, I liked opening Notepad and checking out different fonts. Of course Windings was my favorite! Here is a jew trying to convert an annoyed person to some religion:

I never really understood the hate either.
I guess people just find reasons to bitch and Comic Sans became the target.

Comic Sans from a design standpoint is looked down upon because it's not the most readable type, because it's not the best formatted type, and because it's not very flexible whatsoever. However, a lot of dislike also stems from the simple fact it was over used for a long period of time, and that it doesn't really like comic book type, though there is a similarity.

I don't hate it either, but I have a teacher who loves to bitch and moan about it. But he bitches about a lot of things.

I just force every website and computer program to use Fixedsys. I don't hate other fonts, but Fixedsys is just better.

Jaxxoon R said:

Hey now, Comic Sans is my favorite Undertale.

It actually took me a while to get the Comic Sans and Papyrus joke. I'm out of touch with modern font humour.

The thing that gets me is when its used where Arial or Times New Roman is clearly more appropriate, like what BombChel posted. There's these bulletin boards at work about all this serious shit written in a visibly goofy font. Honestly its a major case of "first world problems" but still, its fun to complain about such things.

I'm just waiting to see a legal document using purely Comic Sans font!

It's just not used in the right ways. Seeing the font on legal text, emergency messages, prohibitions, caution signs, you name it. It just comes across goofy and unprofessional. There are far more appropriate fonts used in these circumstances i believe. Comic Sans is good for less 'serious' things.

Need to make an invitation for your kids birthday? Sure go ahead.

Need to tell people that a light switch will explode if turned on? Not so much.

Every font has its place and purpose. I'm neutral towards Comic Sans and Papyrus, but as a graphic designer myself, I see why they are disliked.

Comic Sans is great for writing resumes right along with Wingdings.

Spoiler

I am not responsible if you never get a job or hear back from the place you applied for.

I've been using Verdana here for nearly 13 years, and I've never had a single problem with it.

HavoX said:

I've been using Verdana here for nearly 13 years, and I've never had a single problem with it.

i think i've used the same font over here alongside some... Arial variant i think, in school-papers. i opted to keep things looking nice and clean for the sake of readability, because while my handwriting is terrible, at least i can type okay.

I suppose it takes a knowledgeable person to recognize its real weaknesses. And, really, you don't want to be knowledgeable in this area.