Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frithiof

Star Wars The Force Awakens

Not bad at all, of course not like the OT but much better like the Fckg prequel. I rate a solid 8. A solid PWAD in doom terms.

TheMionicDonut said:

You are going into a thread discussing this movie.
And you were not expecting spoilers?

That's why I'm not pissed at him; I knew better and I still checked the thread out early. Plus I looked in the comments section of a spoiler free review and somebody spoiled it there as well.

What did bother me about Han dying wasn't so much the scene itself. It was how Chewie just walked past Leia at the end and this new character whom she didn't even know that well was the one to comfort her. I mean, Chewie would technically be like her brother-in-law such was their bond and he just went over to the cheering crowd and stood there like nothing happened.

Little things like that is why it's only an 8/10 for me. I honestly don't mind that it's simply a retelling of A New Hope. It's a better reboot than most reboots/remakes turn out to be. I'm dreading Ghostbusters and Short Circuit. And I'm still pissed about RoboCop (the original is still and always will be my favorite movie of all time.)

People going on a star wars thread and they get pissed off because there are spoilers!? What do you expect from a thread discussing Star Wars? Does anyone have commonsense nowadays or is the majority of people expecting people to be decent on the internet? I do not know.

frithiof said:

You know you are getting old when something like "******" sounds like something young people would do.

I remember back in the day, when I was a member of the Something Awful forums, and I gave some money to someone in order to help pay for a video. A video that some of you may or not be aware of. Anyhow, it was somewhere around this point in time, especially around the time when this film actually got made (2004-2006), that I completely and totally lost my faith in humanity.

I thought it was a joke... but it wasn't.

I've felt a little bit dead on the inside ever since then. I still can't believe they did that for $500... Carrie Fisher probably wouldn't participate for $500 billion. probably

Wow, jesus fucking christ, I didn't need to see that. Goddamn...

Well I'm offended by spoilers.

We should ban them.

That's how it works, at least for the next several days while it's still 2015, I think.

Johnatone said:

That's why I'm not pissed at him; I knew better and I still checked the thread out early. Plus I looked in the comments section of a spoiler free review and somebody spoiled it there as well.

What did bother me about Han dying wasn't so much the scene itself. It was how Chewie just walked past Leia at the end and this new character whom she didn't even know that well was the one to comfort her. I mean, Chewie would technically be like her brother-in-law such was their bond and he just went over to the cheering crowd and stood there like nothing happened.

That felt pretty odd to me as well. At least we saw Chewie's immediate reaction his death and he kinda went nuclear for a few minutes and even landed a shot onto Kylo Ren.

Buckshot said:

Well I'm offended by spoilers.

We should ban them.

just ignore them ffs

HavoX said:

just ignore them ffs

Heh. I was being facetious. Just making a spin on everyone being offended by everything this year. Still not sure how that entire fad started.

Maybe that should be a universally accepted challenge for 2016... not to be offended by anything.

As far as spoilers go, I knew better than to be browsing the 'net days prior to launch. There's just too many folks out there like darknation looking to stir up the pot, so avoiding it until after seeing the movie is best recommended.

Lizardcommando said:

...and even landed a shot onto Kylo Ren.

And true to form in the Star Wars universe, body shots are one hit kills on everybody but the protagonists and antagonists. The Empire needs to think about giving Stormtroopers more than one HP lol

Were you as surprised as I was that nobody had any body parts cut off in this one? Granted in Episode One Darth Maul was literally cut in half but it was still true to form. I kept expecting Rey to lop one of Kylo Ren's arms off and it never happened. Nobody lost a limb and that's just not right. Lol

Those lightsaber fights were so amazing.

I even recoiled a few times because I almost feel the force.

I never did have high hopes for the movie, but now that I've seen it, I can say it was a positive surprise.

Saw it last night and was really conflicted. In case anyone in this thread still cares about spoilers:

Spoiler

Aside from the whole plot being a rehash of A New Hope,

1. The pacing is all off. It's just one crisis immediately into the next. The movie doesn't give you any time to breathe... until the long chunk of downtime in the middle where it screeches to a halt. Just weird-ass pacing all around.

2. Fanfic-y characters, where everyone has to be the awesomest ever or super dark and brooding. Rey is immediately a Force-wizard and expert sabre-fighter, and is the best pilot ever who can learn to fly anything instantly. Poe is [/i]also[/i] the best pilot ever and can learn to fly anything instantly. All the heroes stand right in the open and nobody ever shoots them. I know Star Wars is about invincible heroes and storm troopers can't aim for shit, but come on. And then there's Kylo, who is supposed to be edgy and dark but comes across as a whiny little kid. Finn is the only character who feels like a real person.

3. There's too much crammed in. We've got like four or five major villains. Chewie and Han get all the focus once they're introduced, to the point where the new characters kind of fade into the background. And the SUBTLE NODS to previous films are out of control.

Ultimately, I think I liked it, but man it was a mess at times. Might be better on a second viewing.

Watched it today. It was pretty good, although I never cared about Star Wars and only watched the original trilogy once. My only complaints are that Carrie Fisher is looking ugly as fuck and that Kyle guy seems like a total wimp.

I'm literally sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start. I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but I definitely enjoy the movies.

Rayzik said:

I'm literally sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start. I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but I definitely enjoy the movies.

Believe it or not, I actually had someone ask me if Chewy dies, lol. Much worse than Chewy.

Linguica said:

lol

My race is punctuation and your spelling offends my beliefs.

Pedro VC said:

Watched it today. It was pretty good, although I never cared about Star Wars and only watched the original trilogy once. My only complaints are that Carrie Fisher is looking ugly as fuck and that Kyle guy seems like a total wimp.

Carrie Fisher is 59 years old. She's not a spring chicken anymore. They probably could've used some CGI to make her look better, though.

I know I'm not the only one that thought she looked hot in Episode 4...

Saw it. Was pretty good. Some suspense. I'll write a more detailed review once I see it again. Marcus Theaters have five dollar Tuesdays, and that's always worth it, usually. I mean, it's five bucks for the big screen.

My only main concern is that, despite things like the Search for Spock... Er... Luke, the main plot just kind of seems like the original film.

Desert planet with a droid and sensitive information, running into Solo who helps the main characters, and then super weapon that needs to be destroyed. However, now that the character's are more or less set up and what not, I'm interested to see where the story will go now, and hope to see something a bit more original.

just hope there isn't another super weapon around the corner, because god damn. If there was one thing wrong with the original EU, it was the constant appearance of "MEGA SUPER WEAPONS."

Sun Crusher, Galaxy Gun, World Devastator, the Doomgiver, Jerec and the Valley of the Jedi's power, THREE Death Stars, the Darksaber (A Death Star laser built by a Hutt of all things), the Tarkin, Dark Troopers (Perhaps a kind of aversion, actually), Scepter of Ragnos, whatever the aliens used to crush Chewbacca with a moon was called, the thing from KotOR, Malevolence, some other ones too I can't remember.

Clonehunter said:

Saw it. Was pretty good. Some suspense. I'll write a more detailed review once I see it again. Marcus Theaters have five dollar Tuesdays, and that's always worth it, usually. I mean, it's five bucks for the big screen.

My only main concern is that, despite things like the Search for Spock... Er... Luke, the main plot just kind of seems like the original film.

Desert planet with a droid and sensitive information, running into Solo who helps the main characters, and then super weapon that needs to be destroyed. However, now that the character's are more or less set up and what not, I'm interested to see where the story will go now, and hope to see something a bit more original.

just hope there isn't another super weapon around the corner, because god damn. If there was one thing wrong with the original EU, it was the constant appearance of "MEGA SUPER WEAPONS."

Sun Crusher, Galaxy Gun, World Devastator, the Doomgiver, Jerec and the Valley of the Jedi's power, THREE Death Stars, the Darksaber (A Death Star laser built by a Hutt of all things), the Tarkin, Dark Troopers (Perhaps a kind of aversion, actually), Scepter of Ragnos, whatever the aliens used to crush Chewbacca with a moon was called, the thing from KotOR, Malevolence, some other ones too I can't remember.

Simple question, do you think Finn is Lando's son? It's pretty obvious if you ask me.

Ashstrodamus said:

Simple question, do you think Finn is Lando's son? It's pretty obvious if you ask me.

I was entertaining the idea until it was mentioned that Finn was indoctrinated since birth. I mean, would it be cool in a fan-wank way? Sure, if it gets Billy Dee to come in for the sequel. But seeing that Kylo is already offspring, and I think that Rey might be Luke's offspring (Judging by what's said in one of the trailers), Finn being Lando's kid would kind of be stretching suspension of disbelief. Like, "Oh look, all the kids from our favorite heroes are all together now!"

It'd be a little crazy, imo.

Clonehunter said:

I was entertaining the idea until it was mentioned that Finn was indoctrinated since birth. I mean, would it be cool in a fan-wank way? Sure, if it gets Billy Dee to come in for the sequel. But seeing that Kylo is already offspring, and I think that Rey might be Luke's offspring (Judging by what's said in one of the trailers), Finn being Lando's kid would kind of be stretching suspension of disbelief. Like, "Oh look, all the kids from our favorite heroes are all together now!"

It'd be a little crazy, imo.

Just so you know...

Spoiler

Rey is Luke and Leia's kid

frithiof said:

Just so you know...

Spoiler

Rey is Luke and Leia's kid

That'd be kinda awkward, though, since

Spoiler

Luke and Leia are siblings. Besides, Leia ended up with that scumbag Han Solo, so Luke couldn't have possibly had a kid with his sister.

My immediate family wants to see it and I'm going to tag along to play nice. I'm not here to bad mouth Star Wars, but I find it more and more difficult to understand its appeal the older I get. The new one looks...pretty. Rehashing the plot of a previous entry and endlessly wink-wink, nudge-nudging doesn't sound promising. I'll see it anyway.

I just saw it.

Well, um... it could've been worse, I guess. Better than the prequels by any measure, but it recycled too much and played it safe in a lot of ways. Also, the darth whatever guy is a fucking joke, whiny and unimposing, flailing his lightsaber in a fit like a toddler. Oh yeah, his lightsaber, that thing is still stupid.

Should I bother to see the latter two of this new trilogy? I'm not sure at this point, I'm actually somewhat disappointed.

I saw Episode 1 and thought it was garbage. I've heard 2 and 3 are better, but only by comparison. I doubt I'm missing much.

Episode 3 has the most emotional value coming from the prequels. If anything, the main thing you'd enjoy from the prequels (apart from the original trilogy and episode 7) are the overly choreographed light-sabre fights and the new music- duel of the fates, which is quite nifty.