Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

UDMF Stacked Sectors/Portals example level

Hello to everyone. I've read about stacked sectors (portals) on zdoom wiki, but failed with simple creation of it (the language barrier?).

Could someone post simple level where are 2 walls stacked together in "realtime"?

Hopefully this is what you're looking for in regards to portals in ZDoom. Though, in my personal opinion, I would stay away from them as they are prune to graphical anomalies when looking at them at a certain view point. Is it possible to use 3D Floors instead for your case?

EDIT
I just now realized the demo map download is broken. I do remember there was one portal in Knee Deep in ZDoom on map Z1M1, the portal is right in the hanger where the player spawns -- its not far at all and easy to find when the hook is eye catching ;)

Thank you for reply, but it's not what I'm looking for.

KDIZD uses floor/ceiling ("vertical") portal, I need the wall ("horizontal") portal.

Imagine the "Cube" or "Cube 2: Hypercube" movie. I need to made over 9000 rooms, for example. But it's obviously easier to make 3 or 4 (white colored, red colored, yellow colored, etc) similar rooms and made their doorways went to any room and by Action_52 (Portals) made over_9000_rooms effect. And if it's the multiplayer I can't just made silent teleports because when you're looking on your friend you just can't see him but he is in "second" room. With stacked sectors your friend isn't invisible.

DeXiaZ said:

Thank you for reply, but it's not what I'm looking for.

KDIZD uses floor/ceiling ("vertical") portal, I need the wall ("horizontal") portal.

Those aren't stacked sectors; sectors can only be stacked vertically.

The effect you want is simply not implemented in ZDoom at the moment. But it may happen in the future.

Uh, I saw that topic, but as you said - it may happen in the future :\

Thank you very much for reply. I should try EDGE sourceport, it already has "portals", but I was afraid about EDGE Builder mapping system (it's too simple as Doom/Doom 2, it's unusual after using UDMF). I also saw Edge format for GZDoom builder but don't know...Anyway, thanks! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "EDGE format" is actually just standard Doom map format for vanilla/Boom maps, without any format-wise differences, only the fact that EDGE (as the sourceport) recognizes some new linedef/sector/thing type numbers as meaningful (while other ports would consider them invalid) and handles them in its own way (as new features). So, you can make maps for EDGE in any editor than supports Doom map format. EDGE editing configuration just makes it easier to view the extra line/sector/thing types directly in the editor, without having to look up EDGE-specific line/sector/thing type numbers somewhere else.

Well, I never tried Eternity engine, because I wasn't interested in, so that's why I incompetent in this..."questions".

My thoughts just based on the EDGE demo wads:

Yes, you can open EDGE wads as Doom 2, but special portal lines are "unknown" and doesn't work in classic Doom.

If Eternity works fine with portals, so...why not.

UPD: it's bad idea to use EDGE portal system because if you shoot into Portal, your projectile/rocket/plasma will blow on Portal (because it's still a solid wall for everything except player and monsters). Well, that's why I've asked about UDMF...

DeXiaZ said:

Yes, you can open EDGE wads as Doom 2, but special portal lines are "unknown" and doesn't work in classic Doom.

The fact that EDGE-specific line types are not recognized by classic Doom is logical. Still, you can open and freely edit your EDGE map in "Doom 2" editor configuration. EDGE-specific line type numbers will be followed by an "unknown" description in the editor, but the wad will run alright when launched in EDGE and the features will work. The "EDGE" editor configuration just makes the editor know how to call them other than "unknown", to make your mapping work convenient - but manually typing the line type numbers is possible without it, of course. That said, use the "EDGE" configuration if you can have it in your editor.

DeXiaZ said:

My thoughts just based on the EDGE demo wads:

Oh, cool!

If EDGE can already handle players and monsters, there's no real obstacle for projectiles. You should talk to Chu about it.

Hitscans will be more complicated though.

scifista42 said:

The fact that EDGE-specific line types are not recognized by classic Doom is logical. Still, you can open and freely edit your EDGE map in "Doom 2" editor configuration. EDGE-specific line type numbers will be followed by an "unknown" description in the editor, but the wad will run alright when launched in EDGE and the features will work. The "EDGE" editor configuration just makes the editor know how to call them other than "unknown", to make your mapping work convenient - but manually typing the line type numbers is possible without it, of course. That said, use the "EDGE" configuration if you can have it in your editor.

I meant that EDGE portals will not work in ZDoom sourceports. That's the problem, not the "Unkown" tag in Builder.

If EDGE can already handle players and monsters, there's no real obstacle for projectiles. You should talk to Chu about it.

Thanks for advice, I'll ask him about this